ADVERTISEMENT

So, after 15 months of Elon, is Twitter noticeable different?

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Have the the chicken littles been proven correct? Or, was it just a bunch of fearmongering nonsense? Or, do we need to have the election first to find out its true impact?

Personally, I can’t see the difference but I probably don’t spend enough time on there to notice.

Twitter generated $3.4 billion revenue in 2023, a 22% decrease on 2022 figures.

Twitter annual revenue 2012 to 2023 ($bn)​

Twitter annual revenue by segment 2015 to 2023 ($bn)​

https://www.businessofapps.com/data... revenue in 2023,22% decrease on 2022 figures.

Is Twitter losing money?

In March, Musk told employees Twitter's value had dropped by more than half, to $20 billion. In July, he said the company was still cash-flow negative, citing the drop in ad revenue and a “heavy debt load.”Oct 27, 2023

X — formerly Twitter — is shrinking meaningfully under Elon Musk, according to new data from mobile research firm Apptopia. Since Musk bought the company in October 2022, it's lost approximately 13% of its app's daily active users.

From the perspective of someone who has been trying to not see Twitter in my online life, that has become easier because without logging in you now have a more truncated and freewalled pov of that part of the internet landscape. I’ll stay on this side of the fence.

I’d say he made it more of an opt-in experience and as an opt-outter, I appreciate that.

I feel like "X" is not taking off the way Elon had hoped for.

200w.gif

I'm in a similar boat as @JMNSHO . I used to use the platform to read news and stuff, but with being unable to use it effectively without being signed in I don't at all.

So, probably a net positive on my life. Addition by subtraction.

Last edited:
The amount of bots and AI crap on there is shockingly terrible considering that was one of his priorities.
Yeah, I get a lot more new bot followers than I used to.

It seems like there are more ads now (just looked: every 5th post is an ad), so it's surprising that their ad revenue is down. Maybe smaller, sketchier companies paying less per ad?

Reactions: JupiterHawk
The amount of bots and AI crap on there is shockingly terrible considering that was one of his priorities.
This. And the amount of far right garbage, including Elon’s own tweets, pushed by the algorithm is cluttering it.

It’s more open and free for speech and debate. So naturally the left hates this and is circling the wagons to try and impact X financially and get control of the narrative again.
Yes, MAGAts are now more free than ever to harass women and use hate speech to gays, trans, and minorities. What a win for the only things Republicans stand for now!

The bots and ads are ridiculous now. And the unsolicited amplification of right-wing accounts and talking points. I’ve done a lot of blocking in the last year.

I have gotten a lot of new follows from many sexy women, tho.
Those follows are all me. Sorry. Please follow back.

-Assy Jane

The bots are out of control. I think I've gotten around 100 new followers in the last 3 months and 98 of them were bots.

All I see is people posting replies under tweets that have nothing to do with the original topic for endless engagement bait because they are just trying to get paid from ads and it's turned the place into a cesspool. I had to block 5-10 accounts that constantly just posted people catching the dead and my algorithm is a bit better now but it's so bad compared to how it used to be in my opinion.

yea, the Russian trolls/bot are back in full force and a bunch of nobody screwballs that paid money are now the top comments on everything and 90% of them are about some other topic. Thank god for Elon protecting free speech.

Have the the chicken littles been proven correct? Or, was it just a bunch of fearmongering nonsense? Or, do we need to have the election first to find out its true impact?

Personally, I can’t see the difference but I probably don’t spend enough time on there to notice.
If your feeds were filled with bigots, racists and misogynists, then it probably isn't a lot different for you.

Super Bowl data demonstrated that a vast majority of Twitter traffic was bots and trolls. 75%, compared to other social media sites <3%

i don’t have a twit/x account. my entire consumption of x is through hrot. keeping that in mind can’t say i’ve noticed any changes. amazing thing is despite never having logged into twit or x, i feel like i’m a power user, thanks hrot!

i don’t have a twit/x account. my entire consumption of x is through hrot. keeping that in mind can’t say i’ve noticed any changes. amazing thing is despite never having logged into twit or x, i feel like i’m a power user, thanks hrot!
Neither do I

I just follow a few key people who have long-standing accounts and who are identifiable/sane.

This.

E-Loon completely destroyed twitter which, seemingly, was his intention.
He’s not a loon, he’s a genius. Twitter/X is a beautiful disaster and a model for free speech and free thinking. It’s an uncensored view of human behavior and you can say the quiet conversations out loud on X because you’re anonymous. It’s a disgusting cesspool and so is mankind. I love it.

Yes. I like twitter for sports updates and current events. Now I get a bunch of right wing bullshit and no matter how many times I block Elon Musk he always keeps coming back. I think I've blocked him like 4 times now.

I come here to read right wing bullshit, I don't want it in my twitter feed. Besides, the right wingers here are by and large far more entertaining than the dipshits that get forced onto my twitter. At least I can talk about Iowa sports with most of the right wingers here and we can agree or disagree about that.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT