ADVERTISEMENT

So, after 15 months of Elon, is Twitter noticeable different?

This is the best metaphor I’ve seen for how the platform has changed:

When you first join Twitter—or X—the timeline algorithm acts like a parrot hatchling whose job is to fetch the news and recite it to you on demand; over time, the baby parrot observes the articles you’re reading, monitors whom you follow, and learns from what you say. If you engage with noxious content, you end up with a naughty parrot who reads you the tabloids. If you tame your parrot well, it can become a pretty good curator of information—often, quite a funny one. Yet there’s only so much you can do if the parrot is unruly to begin with, or if the news it sees is fabricated. As a Twitter user, I stuck by the dictum to “follow judiciously and mute unforgivingly,” and I rarely saw hateful and divisive content. But it seems to me that, on X, the parrot has gone rogue; it’s stubbornly resistant to my instructions.

Last edited:
Twitter generated $3.4 billion revenue in 2023, a 22% decrease on 2022 figures.

Twitter annual revenue 2012 to 2023 ($bn)​

Twitter annual revenue by segment 2015 to 2023 ($bn)​

https://www.businessofapps.com/data/twitter-statistics/#:~:text=Twitter generated $3.4 billion revenue in 2023,22% decrease on 2022 figures.

Is Twitter losing money?

In March, Musk told employees Twitter's value had dropped by more than half, to $20 billion. In July, he said the company was still cash-flow negative, citing the drop in ad revenue and a “heavy debt load.”Oct 27, 2023

X — formerly Twitter — is shrinking meaningfully under Elon Musk, according to new data from mobile research firm Apptopia. Since Musk bought the company in October 2022, it's lost approximately 13% of its app's daily active users.

Have the the chicken littles been proven correct? Or, was it just a bunch of fearmongering nonsense? Or, do we need to have the election first to find out its true impact?

Personally, I can’t see the difference but I probably don’t spend enough time on there to notice.
yes, twitter is way different. Comment sections are basically useless. Algorithm is now trash.

Amazing to watch the leftists on here so obsessed with musk and X. The platform is great.
Leftist or not, comment sections are literally just bots now. And the algorithm is all right-wing. I don’t follow any right-wing accounts, yet literally every day the suggested ad is some right-wing garbage that I mute, only to see a different one the next day.

I’m not obsessed with it. It’s just a trash site now.

Who doesn't love seeing ░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░ when looking at replies?

99.99% not bad.

X’s Brand Safety Rate exceeds 99% according to third-party analysis from DoubleVerify and Integral Ad Science.

DoubleVerify, a company responsible for providing Brand Safety measurements to major advertisers, has been displaying an erroneous graphical error of X's Brand Safety Rate on their user interface dashboard for over four and a half months from October 24, 2023 to March 14, 2024.

As a result, the dashboard displayed an extremely misleading lower Brand Safety Rate, in stark contrast to X’s actual score exceeding 99.99% from October 2023 to present day. This means that X’s Brand Safety Rate has exceeded global benchmarks for Brand Safety across all campaigns, based on DoubleVerify’s global industry data.

DoubleVerify takes full responsibility for showing an incorrect and substantially lower Brand Safety Rate for X within your dashboard. DoubleVerify has communicated this to affected advertisers. All current and retroactive Brand Safety data for X is now correctly represented by DoubleVerify.

X remains dedicated to ensuring a safe and transparent platform for our valued advertisers and users. We are deeply troubled by this gross misrepresentation of our Brand Safety performance and have taken immediate action to rectify the situation with DoubleVerify.

X is committed to maintaining the highest standards of accuracy and transparency in our reporting and will work with DoubleVerify to ensure that our clients have accurate information.

For advertisers who made business decisions due to this badly misrepresented metric, your X team along with DoubleVerify support will be in touch. We also encourage you to learn about our industry-leading Brand Safety efforts: business.x.com/en/help/ads-po…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT