ADVERTISEMENT

SO, back up point guard is?

kceasthawk

HR Legend
Nov 5, 2016
So assuming Molly D is out, who will pick up the slack if CC needs a rest or heaven forbid she gets in foul trouble? Kylie has stepped up in her minutes, but both she and Taylor struggle as a primary ball handler. Gabby?, Syd vicious? Kate? KJ isn't ready for that kind of role and she was on crutches yesterday as well, so I assume she was injured in practice? Could be an issue. Good think is Bluder has several days of practice time to plan for worst case scenarios....

Never want to take anything for granted, but the sweet 16 is March 29/30. I would hope they take care of business pretty easily to that point regardless if they’re an 1 or 2 seed.

All I have heard is she’s going to return but haven’t heard details or extent of the injury. Hopefully that’s enough time to come back near or at 100%.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
CC won't rest, but probably Martin, Kylie, or Affolter. They don't really focus on who brings the ball up it seems, always someone different when CC isn't on the court.
If Clark doesn't get any rest, I'd think by day 3 she'll be spent. If they make it to Sunday the times would be 5:30 Friday,
3:30 Saturday, and 11 Sunday (spring forward to boot). Hopefully they take care of business quickly Friday & get her out early in the 4th. Not how Bluder usually does it however.

In order: Syd, Kylie, McCabe. Syd brings the ball upcourt quite a bit, even when CC is on the court. They trust her as a ball handler.

Never want to take anything for granted, but the sweet 16 is March 29/30.

I had noticed that the women have a weekend off between the BTT and the NCAA tourney, and was disappointed that the schedule lays out this way. Teams lose momentum when they don't play for nearly two weeks. Get a little rusty.

But, the silver lining is that MOLLY D has an extra week of rest and recuperation. Good luck to Molly D!

If Clark doesn't get any rest, I'd think by day 3 she'll be spent. If they make it to Sunday the times would be 5:30 Friday,
3:30 Saturday, and 11 Sunday (spring forward to boot). Hopefully they take care of business quickly Friday & get her out early in the 4th. Not how Bluder usually does it however.
Honestly, I wasn't really thinking about the BTT, but rather the NCAAT.

I had noticed that the women have a weekend off between the BTT and the NCAA tourney, and was disappointed that the schedule lays out this way. Teams lose momentum when they don't play for nearly two weeks. Get a little rusty.

But, the silver lining is that MOLLY D has an extra week of rest and recuperation. Good luck to Molly D!
Yeah a few years ago they pushed the NCAA schedule out. It used to conclude a week before the men, now it is a day before. But they still end the regular season a week earlier

Absolutely...last year was a prime example how badly that hurt Iowa and Ohio State.
Indiana got upset in the round of 32 by Miami iirc (a 9 seed) but playing a 15/16 seed in Carver shouldn't be an issue.

Martin is the most versatile player besides Clark. She can move to point for 4-6 minutes a game easily.
Possibly, Of course the issue with moving players to new roles this late in the season muddies the water( when Iowa is really clicking its because everyone is filling their role), and Kate playing that role takes her away to some degree from her current role. Just playing devils advocate if you will...

Reactions: uihawk82
Possibly, Of course the issue with moving players to new roles this late in the season muddies the water( when Iowa is really clicking its because everyone is filling their role), and Kate playing that role takes her away to some degree from her current role. Just playing devils advocate if you will...
Kate does great work without the ball. Clark will not be on the bench much during close games. They need some easy big leads in early games to give her some rest.

Kate does great work without the ball. Clark will not be on the bench much during close games. They need some easy big leads in early games to give her some rest.
I agree w/both you and @kceasthawk. We know that Clark is going to play 35 minutes a game anyway, we run a lot of screen and roll and such so for 5 minutes a game I don't think it would be a stretch to play Martin some point minutes. And yes, she moves really well off the ball, but most of it is her connection w/Clark. I know we say Molly is coming back but I"m just not sure how effective she can be. I still think Kate's a much better option than anyone else we have. By far our most versatile player behind Clark.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I'm not all that concerned with her minutes. ALL these games are on TV, so there are plenty of timeouts for rest, many lasting 4 or 5 minutes. All Good. The concern for me is IF she gets in foul trouble, and if she has to really back off on D to avoid them. Good teams will sense that as well, and go at her. I know she's never been a great defender, but she has improved, and she picks her spots to D up, jump passing lanes for steals, and even block shot s.

I agree w/both you and @kceasthawk. We know that Clark is going to play 35 minutes a game anyway, we run a lot of screen and roll and such so for 5 minutes a game I don't think it would be a stretch to play Martin some point minutes. And yes, she moves really well off the ball, but most of it is her connection w/Clark. I know we say Molly is coming back but I"m just not sure how effective she can be. I still think Kate's a much better option than anyone else we have. By far our most versatile player behind Clark.
I hope Bluder dials back on Clark's minutes these first couple of BTT games. Keep her as fresh as possible for the NCAA's. Molly going down will not help in this regard.

I hope Bluder dials back on Clark's minutes these first couple of BTT games. Keep her as fresh as possible for the NCAA's. Molly going down will not help in this regard.
Women's 1st round is March 22nd and 23rd, so there is a large break between it and the Big10 tourny. Assuming that the Hawks will play three days in row I agree it would be good to reduce her minutes a little in the Friday/Saturday games if possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT