ADVERTISEMENT

So Boyz….a moral/ethical Question for you all……..

The thread title says this is a moral question, so I'll just wait for his answer. And assume one option wb the game is too late, and I won't care cause I will be turning in early.

But for reals, Iowa State = always lose . Always. If a B1G team is playing them, the B1G team wins 110 to 30. Unless **** Wisconsin is playing them, then the clowns can lose 35 - 34 3OT & both are perceived as a national embarrassment..

Last edited:
Reactions: rufus-hawk
How does it make "the state" look good? I seriously doubt anyone outside the state of Iowa cares. Ain't nobody sitting in their living room in Tennessee saying "Boy, they sure can play basketball in Iowa."

Also....any success ISU has only hurts the U. of I. That is why no real Hawkeye fan would EVER root for the Clones, as that is tantamount to rooting against your own team.
How so? Success of a rival should raise the bar improving “your” team. You are allowing your pettiness and jealousy interfere with your team raising the bar.

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
How does it make "the state" look good? I seriously doubt anyone outside the state of Iowa cares. Ain't nobody sitting in their living room in Tennessee saying "Boy, they sure can play basketball in Iowa."

Also....any success ISU has only hurts the U. of I. That is why no real Hawkeye fan would EVER root for the Clones, as that is tantamount to rooting against your own team.
If ISU has to be bad for the Hawks to be good, we are in trouble. I would hope we could be good without having to worry how the Clones are doing.

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk and joelbc1
How so? Success of a rival should raise the bar improving “your” team. You are allowing your pettiness and jealousy interfere with your team raising the bar.
Success of a rival does not benefit your team. That is a total fallacy. It's the more successful team that gets the attention.

Should that spur your team to strive to do better? Of course. So should other things, like finishing in the bottom half of your conference, or not making a post season tournament....many things should "spur" your team to raising the bar. But ISU being better than Iowa in basketball does not benefit Iowa. At all.

Pettiness and jealousy? That's a laugh. ISU could win the National Championship in every sport and the Hawks could lose every game, and I would NEVER be jealous of the Clones. I am an Iowa grad and lifelong Hawkeye fan. Iowa>>>>ISU. Always.

You are allowing your ISU fandom to interfere with your thinking.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Success of a rival does not benefit your team. That is a total fallacy. It's the more successful team that gets the attention.

Should that spur your team to strive to do better? Of course. So should other things, like finishing in the bottom half of your conference, or not making a post season tournament....many things should "spur" your team to raising the bar. But ISU being better than Iowa in basketball does not benefit Iowa. At all.

Pettiness and jealousy? That's a laugh. ISU could win the National Championship in every sport and the Hawks could lose every game, and I would NEVER be jealous of the Clones. I am an Iowa grad and lifelong Hawkeye fan. Iowa>>>>ISU. Always.

I pretty much disagree with everything you said, but that’s the great thing about opinions. We can all have one.

Iowa State plays Illinois to advance…..who you rootin’ for?
Damn that’s tough. Like choosing between chewing broken glass or having your gums scraped.
As much as I detest clown U I cannot in good faith root for Illinois. For one game it’s Clown U ( I threw up a little in my mouth just now)

Reactions: TornadoHawk93
I don't root for any university but Iowa. Don't care about this game, won't watch it.
Can't wait for the women to get started.

I don't root for any university but Iowa. Don't care about this game, won't watch it.
Can't wait for the women to get started.

You never watch a game that Iowa isn’t playing in and think “I hope this team wins”?

Probably Illinois but with past dilemmas such as this I’ve changed my mind repeatedly while watching. Maybe I feel one team deserves it more, or they show an obnoxious fan, etc. As I mentioned elsewhere, I started rooting for ISU this weekend because of all the crybabies on Twitter complaining about their fans taking over in KC. I’m fickle when it comes to sports hatred.

Reactions: joelbc1

My gut reaction is that I side with you on this debate (I agree with most of your viewpoints). I just don't see how it would be good for Iowa in any way, shape, or form to be overshadowed by ISU. If for no other reason than in-state recruiting.. Not sure how many Iowa natives ISU has on their roster. Without looking it up, I'd guess not many. But, when the state DOES produce top talent (Harrison Barnes, etc.) I'd think you'd be much better off if you were top dog in your state.

Got to be able to recruit out of state as well, though.

To answer the OP.. Man, I just CANNOT root for Illinois in basketball. I guess if they were playing one of the bluebloods (Kansas, Duke, etc.) then maybe I can make an exception.

Let’s be real, too … Iowa/Illinois has been a better basketball rivalry than Iowa/ISU for going on 5 years now.

My theory is you root for which ever team doesn't have fans you have to interact with.

I have to interact with isu fans so I will root for Illinois.

If I lived in quad cities I'd root for isu.

Illinois. I'll never cheer for Iowa State in any sport unless they play someone like Notre Dame or Bama.

Last edited:
200w.gif

Been a strong Hawkeye fan for over 55 years. But I have grand children that went to Iowa games with me, and ended up at Iowa State. So I went to games with them. I have a lot of friends who are ISU fans. We have fun with the rivalry, so I have no problem rooting for the clones, when they aren't playing Iowa.

I'd suggest there's a little nuance here. Success of a specific rival, no. But success of your conference overall, Yes. That's why I pull for B1G teams in the Dance and Bowl games. The B1G looking strong is good for all the members.

ISU. F*** 'em. Anything that makes them look better is not good for Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT