ADVERTISEMENT

So Far...Garza and Nunge @ PTL

hawk_it

HR All-State
Jul 22, 2004
For Garza and Nunge and all freshmen, there is always a learning curve for who ever comes into the league. Learning the system, speed of game, un-learning what worked in HS that does not work in B10 and defense to mention a few.

Thanks to Land of 10 for your live streaming!

That said, I like the PTL video that I've seen of them. Highlights are nice but being able to see stretches of "Land of 10" live streams gives you a better perspective of the player and how they fit. Fran got some good ones here. Will be exciting to see them develop and fit into the team.

'How bout those Hawkeyes!'

Last edited:
Based on reports, I am sure Wieskamp will play, but it will be interesting to see if he can start over Moss or Baer. Nice problem to have.

Based on reports, I am sure Wieskamp will play, but it will be interesting to see if he can start over Moss or Baer. Nice problem to have.
This is the most perceptive post of the year. Iowa gets a Top 20 kid and he may not start. We haven't seen depth like this since '86-'87. If these kids blend harmoniously, the Hawkeyes could be swimming in the deep end of the pool.

I think as the year goes on Mr. Garza and Mr. Nunge will keep expanding their minutes. Too much talent to keep on the bench.

Reactions: hawksense

Yes nice problem. I really have no idea. But I think it comes down to Moss, Nunge, and Cook. Which by elimination is likely Moss vs. Nunge. Is Weiskamp so good at SF to keep Nunge from starting there? The scenario that could play out is:

PG: Bohannon, McCaffery
SG: Weiskamp, Moss
SF: Nunge, Baer
PF: Cook, Pemsl
C : Garza, Kreiner

I predict that the older McCaffrey never plays a minute at Iowa on the basketball team that is....could be wrong, but he is really good at baseball

I predict that the older McCaffrey never plays a minute at Iowa on the basketball team that is....could be wrong, but he is really good at baseball
You could certainly be right, But it seems like playing with Patrick, and for his dad holds quite the allure for Conner. At least that was his comment when he announced he'd be redshirting this season. We'll just have to see how it plays out. I'd have to assume that eventually Conner would be on scholorship, so if he doesn't join the team, they'd at least have another opening at some point in 19 or 20. Given the upward trend in Frans recruiting, thats a positive unto itself.

I believe that the McCaffrey family advice to Conner is to follow your interests. Given his parent's individual successes in sports and his uncle's career as a sports journalist, he is hearing "follow your interests and when your playing days are over (professional or not), you will know and be in the sport you love".

Reactions: cocoem

I'm not going to predict anything, but if he has an excellent freshman year in baseball, no one could blame him for turning to that sport full time.

Reactions: cocoem and unIowa
Should be fun to see what Iowa will be like when Garza and Cook are on the floor at the same time. Garza center @ Cook PF. In College it appears this will be Cooks more natural position. Nice low post combo doing work in the paint. If fact the combos for high or low posting are very interesting with all the bigs.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Should be fun to see what Iowa will be like when Garza and Cook are on the floor at the same time. Garza center @ Cook PF. In College it appears this will be Cooks more natural position. Nice low post combo doing work in the paint. If fact the combos for high or low posting are very interesting with all the bigs.
Agree. Cook is a great driver/finisher. At the 4 he can do more of that. Still could use an outside shot. But he'll be playing with centers that have that.

Like the pairing of Cook with Garza too. He's got a low post game too so Cook can just worry about driving lanes. Similarly, Pemsl and Kriener pair well together. Pemsl has the low post game and Kriener the outside shot.

Connor does not seem to be having as good of a year this year in baseball. Power numbers are way down last I looked.

Agree. Cook is a great driver/finisher. At the 4 he can do more of that. Still could use an outside shot. But he'll be playing with centers that have that.

Like the pairing of Cook with Garza too. He's got a low post game too so Cook can just worry about driving lanes. Similarly, Pemsl and Kriener pair well together. Pemsl has the low post game and Kriener the outside shot.

I envision we'll be seing some high low action too , if Garza's jumper draws opossing centers out from basket that'll leave Cook alone in post where he can do some damage.

Reactions: unIowa
Having two bigs over 6'10 that can knock down 3s will give us allot of options. 3 guys if you count Nunge.

I like the idea of some Garza and Kriener together which could really keep the opponents spread out.

Yes nice problem. I really have no idea. But I think it comes down to Moss, Nunge, and Cook. Which by elimination is likely Moss vs. Nunge. Is Weiskamp so good at SF to keep Nunge from starting there? The scenario that could play out is:

I think the lite is really gonna come on for Moss this year. Will be a starter for the rest of his career.

I think the lite is really gonna come on for Moss this year. Will be a starter for the rest of his career.

I agree.

Moss is maybe the all around best athlete on the floor (when Wagner isn't on the court) and is one of the few on the roster w the lateral quickness to play some good defense on the parameter. He also scores in bunches and college hoops is still a guard dominated game.

My guess is that JoBo, Moss and Weiskamp are all starters. Cook gobbles up 25-30 mpg and the rest of the bigs are competing for minutes...it is a really good problem to have.

His slugging percentage and OPS is down 300 points. He doesn't have many more walks than last year. He has zero triples and one stolen base vs 4 and 8 last year.

Thanks for land of 10 as well.

Good commentary as well. Not usually into platooning but it seems the players at 5/4 call for that rotation. Any combination of Luka/Tyler and Kreiner/Pemsyl provide quality play on the interior for 40 minutes a game. Huge inside defensively and good scoring ability from all four guys.

Also share the belief that Ike Moss takes a big step forward. He's shown flashes, much like Peter Jok did his sophomore season. Moss will be a double digit scorer and a locked in starter the rest of his career. He certainly should be since he was an ESPN 4* top 120 recruit. Those guys are the ones that are supposed to develop into major contributors in a P5 conference. Ike's game by game is pretty typical for a talented player adjusting to college ball.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3935015/isaiah-moss

I agree.

Moss is maybe the all around best athlete on the floor (when Wagner isn't on the court) and is one of the few on the roster w the lateral quickness to play some good defense on the parameter. He also scores in bunches and college hoops is still a guard dominated game.

My guess is that JoBo, Moss and Weiskamp are all starters. Cook gobbles up 25-30 mpg and the rest of the bigs are competing for minutes...it is a really good problem to have.

I dont see JW starting his first year over Baer and Nunge.

Minutes will be even harder to come by in 2 years unless we have a few transfers.

Thanks for land of 10 as well.

Good commentary as well. Not usually into platooning but it seems the players at 5/4 call for that rotation. Any combination of Luka/Tyler and Kreiner/Pemsyl provide quality play on the interior for 40 minutes a game. Huge inside defensively and good scoring ability from all four guys.

Also share the belief that Ike Moss takes a big step forward. He's shown flashes, much like Peter Jok did his sophomore season. Moss will be a double digit scorer and a locked in starter the rest of his career. He certainly should be since he was an ESPN 4* top 120 recruit. Those guys are the ones that are supposed to develop into major contributors in a P5 conference. Ike's game by game is pretty typical for a talented player adjusting to college ball.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3935015/isaiah-moss
Ike? I've never heard Isaiah called Ike before.....

No reason to downplay the upward trend of Iowa.

3rd,3rd, and 5th last three seasons in BIG play. 5th place is nothing to brag about but it is impressive when you factor in the 7th youngest team in div1. I firmly believe if Iowa had the overseas trip last season instead of this year they would have made the tourney.

Recruiting is up, talent is way up, there is reason for optimism. We don't have the luxury of rshirting 4 stars. We were able to this year. That says alot.

Let Illini talk. I didn't see the Illini grouped in with Kentucky, Lousiville, and LSU in a Rivals national article about the 4 teams with the most to be excited for following the NBA top 100 player camp....

Connor does not seem to be having as good of a year this year in baseball. Power numbers are way down last I looked.
.353 with 7 doubles, 3 homers and 26 walks (leads team)??? People are pitching around him. He also has 1.75 ERA and is 6-1. Pretty good stuff if you ask me

How many plate appearances?

Those are not pitch around numbers in HS baseball IMO.

How many plate appearances?

Those are not pitch around numbers in HS baseball IMO.

Connor regularly bats 2nd in the lineup ahead of Izaya Ono-Fullard who is the team's leading hitter (.421 avg with 13 doubles and 8 HRs) batting 3rd. Pretty sure Connor (.359 avg with 8 doubles and 3 HRs) is not being pitched around regularly. Connor with 27 BBs and only 7 Ks is impressive though.

Athlete AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SAC BB SO SB SBA HBP OBP SLG AVG

SR - Izaya Ono-Fullard 121 41 51 13 0 8 47 2 15 9 14 14 2 0.493 0.727 0.421

SR - Connor McCaffery 103 18 37 8 0 3 39 4 27 7 1 5 2 0.496 0.524 0.359

Reactions: unIowa
… Especially if the crop of perimeter-shooting bigs comes on strong. Moss on the wing with no rim protection due to 4s and 5s being guarded out on the floor? I like that idea.

Moss really needs to attack the hoop more. He does it so well in transition so all the tools are there to do it in the half court.

Moss seemed to thrive when Jok was on the bench. I think he was hesitant to shoot with one of the purest shooters in the nation on the floor with him. When Jok was on the bench it seemed to clear his mind up to be more aggressive offensively. He could be really effective at the three or the four and will, in my eyes, be one of the most important players in predicting how Iowa's season goes.

07/09/17 PTL
In the videos, Jack Nunge used his left hand a lot around the basket. Great skill to have already developed. Look forward to seeing Luka Garza again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT