ADVERTISEMENT

So freaking proud of the Iowa fan base for the support of the Ladt Hawks!!!

Caitlin might be even more valuable to Iowa basketball after she's gone. That's saying something when she's the best player in the country.

The crowds she's bringing in and excitement she's generating will pay huge dividends for Bluder on the recruiting trail in the future. They have a good thing going.

Caitlin might be even more valuable to Iowa basketball after she's gone. That's saying something when she's the best player in the country.

The crowds she's bringing in and excitement she's generating will pay huge dividends for Bluder on the recruiting trail in the future. They have a good thing going.
I thought the same thing about Garza and Fran recruiting big men going forward. So much for that idea😆

I think she’s equally valuable to women’s ncaa basketball in general too.

Taking a look around the rest of the tourney at some of the other home atmospheres, it is clear that the Hawks have the Gold Standard. If you are a top notch player in the womens game......wouldn't you kill to get the chance to suit up in front of that home crowd?!
Duke game was played in a half empty arena. Cameron Indoor is not a big arena either. I guess the Dookie fans do not care about their women. Assembly hall had many empty seats in the upper levels but was a good crowd.

The Duke game had like 500 people there, you are being too kind in saying it was half empty. How embarrassing for a place that considers themselves a basketball hotbed.

Indiana had 14k for both days so they are also doing their part.

I did it. I went to each second round site and recorded attendance. I believe that it was a home game for all the higher seeds, so the second column reflects the winner. Average attendance was 7,484. Sunday attendance averaged 8,608, while Monday was 6,361.

NOTES: If anyone wants more data, search for it. And my results are purely the results of my research and may therefore be incorrest. My wife reminds me that it happens not infrequently.
AttendanceWinnerGameDay
14,480AwaySimon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, IN
No. 9 Miami (FL) 70, No. 1 Indiana 68
Monday
14,382HomeCarter-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa City, Iowa
No. 2 Iowa 74, No. 10 Georgia 66
Sunday
10,335HomeColonial Life Arena, Columbia, SC
No. 1 South Carolina 76, No. 8 South Florida 45
Sunday
10,167HomeGampel Pavilion, Storrs, CT
No. 2 UConn 77, No. 7 Baylor 58
Monday
10,108HomePete Maravich Assembly Center, Baton Rouge, LA
No. 3 LSU 66, No. 6 Michigan 42
Sunday
8,925HomeCassell Coliseum, Blacksburg, VA
No. 1 Virginia Tech 72, No. 9 South Dakota State 60
Sunday
8,563HomeJon M. Huntsman Center, Salt Lake City, UT
No. 2 Utah 63, No. 10 Princeton 56
Sunday
6,622HomeXFINITY Center, College Park, MD
No. 2 Maryland 77, No. 7 Arizona 64
Sunday
5,486HomeThompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, TN
No. 4 Tennessee 94, No. 12 Toledo 47
Monday
5,430AwayMoody Center, Austin, TX
No. 5 Louisville 73, No. 4 Texas 51
Monday
5,361AwayMaples Pavilion, Palo Alto, Calif.
No. 8 Ole Miss 54, No. 1 Stanford 49
Sunday
5,186HomeValue City Arena, Columbus, OH
No. 3 Ohio State 71, No. 6 North Carolina 69
Monday
4,565HomePurcell Pavilion, South Bend, IN
No. 3 Notre Dame 53, No. 11 Mississippi State 48
Sunday
4,361HomeFinneran Pavilion, Villanova, PA
No. 4 Villanova 76, No. 12 Florida Gulf Coast 57
Monday
3,872HomePauley Pavilion, Los Angeles, CA
No. 4 UCLA 82, No. 5 Oklahoma 73
Monday
1,904AwayCameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, NC
No. 6 Colorado 61, No. 3 Duke 53 (OT)
Monday

I thought the same thing about Garza and Fran recruiting big men going forward. So much for that idea😆
It isn't just Clark though. Lisa and her coaches are bringing in solid talent. Stuelke was ranked 45th and McCabe I believe 89th in the top hundred last year. Solid class this year. The 6'5 Center from Oregon who committed is ranked top 3 or 4 of all post players nationally. She's coming because of the work that Jan Jensen has done with our post players, both Megan G, and Monica C.

It isn't just Clark though. Lisa and her coaches are bringing in solid talent. Stuelke was ranked 45th and McCabe I believe 89th in the top hundred last year. Solid class this year. The 6'5 Center from Oregon who committed is ranked top 3 or 4 of all post players nationally. She's coming because of the work that Jan Jensen has done with our post players, both Megan G, and Monica C.
Having a regular season conference championship and being regular participants in the s16 certainly doesn't hurt the effort and they deserve credit for that, it's what gets fans and recruits excited. You wont get any argument from me that Lisa and her staff are clearly doing a better job overall than their male counterparts in IC. Good for them

I get your point but comparing Garza to Clark just doesn't compute in terms of significance to a program. A more realistic comparison for Clark is what Jordan did for UNC going forward as opposed to what McDermott did for Creighton regarding Garza. Those are much more comparable.

Iowa fans love their championship teams. It doesn't happen that often. When it does, it is special. This women's team has won 3 Big Ten titles the past two years and now has a chance to advance to the Elite 8. That is pretty special for Hawkeye sports.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Hasn't so far. We whiffed on Sahara Williams in our back yard.

Yeah but Bluder got Stuelke. She is going to be a monster in the coming years.

We aren't going to get everyone, but we are going to get our share.

Hop on the wagon, Mr. Negative. There is room

Reactions: ichawk24
I think Ava Heiden's commitment was probably influenced somewhat by the Clark years. Gustafson and Jan Jensen played a role in that too, but Iowa really hasn't recruited much outside the Midwest in the last 5-6 years but is starting to now.

Reactions: AMAYS
Yeah but Bluder got Stuelke. She is going to be a monster in the coming years.

We aren't going to get everyone, but we are going to get our share.

Hop on the wagon, Mr. Negative. There is room
Stuelke committed to Iowa before Caitlin did, so can’t credit Clark for that.

I think Ava Heiden's commitment was probably influenced somewhat by the Clark years. Gustafson and Jan Jensen played a role in that too, but Iowa really hasn't recruited much outside the Midwest in the last 5-6 years but is starting to now.
Agree, but like O’Grady, Heiden had a family connection* to the state of Iowa. Now if Jordan Speiser or Addison Deal were to come to Iowa, we can really talk about a Caitlin Clark effect. Even a commitment from Teagan Mallegni, with her national high-level offer list, would be a sign of recruiting elevation.

* “Her mother grew up in Michigan and her father was born in Iowa. She still has family in both states.”

Good take. Especially if CC plays that 5th year.

I get your point but comparing Garza to Clark just doesn't compute in terms of significance to a program. A more realistic comparison for Clark is what Jordan did for UNC going forward as opposed to what McDermott did for Creighton regarding Garza. Those are much more comparable.
I think you misunderstood my point but North Carolina had been to 8 final fours with a national title when Jordan stepped on campus and he was the 3rd leading scorer at 13.5 ppg as a freshman for the only NC they won while he was there. He also played with greats like James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty and Kenny Smith so that is a weird comparison to the Iowa women and CC as far as impact on the program. Jordan became superstar for what he did in Chicago, not in college. He wasn't even the first or second draft pick

But that's an extremely bold prediction either way, I guess we will see how that ages but I definitely don't see Iowa WBB being elevated to blue blood status post CC. I'd be happy to be wrong on that, time will tell

I never said I thought Garza would transform the program, just thought Fran might be able to use all his positive publicity to land some solid big men these last couple years. That hasn't happened outside of Rebraca who isn't a center despite being forced into that role because FM struck out completely with true centers

how can this be? the experts on here say Carver is a morgue!
Brad Keselowski Win GIF by NASCAR

Having a regular season conference championship and being regular participants in the s16 certainly doesn't hurt the effort and they deserve credit for that, it's what gets fans and recruits excited. You wont get any argument from me that Lisa and her staff are clearly doing
ll than their male counterparts in IC. Good for them

Gyamfi was top 100 also in that class.

you almost expect it now. Just the greatness. It's become the standard.
That's when you know you have reached the peak. Her impact will be paying dividends long into the future for sure if Iowa plays their cards right.
Few players ever reach that status, of impacting the course of an entire organization for years to come.
Pretty cool it was with Iowa for once.

You just can’t miss a Clark game that’s televised. You never know what you might miss!

Nothing she does surprises me anymore.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Duke game was played in a half empty arena. Cameron Indoor is not a big arena either. I guess the Dookie fans do not care about their women. Assembly hall had many empty seats in the upper levels but was a good crowd.
Half empty in a 17,000 seat arena is only 8,500. Read further down and see Indiana had 14,000+.

Last edited:

Half empty in a 17,000 seat arena is only 8,500. Read further down and see Indiana had 14,000+.
Blubber said Duke was half empty, that was being generous. 1900 out of 9300 seats < half. " Assembly Hall had many empty seats ", yes 17,200 - 14,500 = 2,700 empty = many...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT