ADVERTISEMENT

So how good is Labas?

Internet/podcast lore says we’ll be erecting a statue of him by the time he graduates

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
So if he were to win the job. What are you left with…. Him and the kid from Oklahoma. We’re not in real great situation.

Hard disagree. We did things to mask them, but the OT's were still very much outmatched.
I also hard disagree with your hard disagree.........watch more NFL and you'll understand.

QB play shouldn't have to hide behind the OL. Even Tom Brady hasn't gotten to where he's at simply because he hid behind a monster OL that always protected him and kept him from getting destroyed.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I also hard disagree with your hard disagree.........watch more NFL and you'll understand.

QB play shouldn't have to hide behind the OL. Even Tom Brady hasn't gotten to where he's at simply because he hid behind a monster OL that always protected him and kept him from getting destroyed.
That's literally what Tom Brady has done for years lmao. He's constantly one of the least sacked starting QBs.

The Pats and now the Bucs have had extremely good OLs that keep Brady upright. Watch more NFL and you'll understand.

Joey Labas is the answer at QB. Better thrower, better runner and more confident. I think he pushed Hogan out of the long-term picture. Alex has some time left and should probably go MAC or Mountain West. Spencer really has only 1 season left doesn't he? He'll probably be Joey's back up.

The line problems are more significant. Iowa isn't getting much better quarterbacking without much improved line play. The right side is a mess. Plumb cannot pass or run block. How often this season did a team just crash four or five guys into Iowa backfield, blowing up whatever play Iowa was running? Being hit or hurried at the rate Iowa's two mediocrities absorbed this season gets into the guy's head, especially Spencer. Everything just becomes hurried and then you get the terrible throws on the rare occasions there is some time because the QB has to already be thinking about the pass rush. Iowa has used that script for years but this year it got flipped hard on the Hawks.

We know the QBs weren't very good but TyGood is. How many tackles for loss or no gain did Tyler have this season compared to last? The defense doesn't have to adjust that much for running or passing because they get into the backfield in time to blow up whatever Iowa is doing. Also, all the boots, misdirections, jet sweeps and other more sophisticated parts of the offense don't work if you cannot get blockers on the edge. They rarely existed this season.

The coaches aren't blind, they know what needs work in the off season. David Davidkov is probably going to upgrade the position he plays and Michael Myslinski might ease the pain a little if Tyler moves up. But there needs to be substantial improvement in that line for Iowa to improve significantly on offense.

We need a Shonn Greene/Mark Weisman/Marcus Coker type bruiser. Wear the defense out with power formations and then run the play option. Get our iowa identity back. Goodson has poor vision and doesn't weigh enough to get those YAC

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
That's literally what Tom Brady has done for years lmao. He's constantly one of the least sacked starting QBs.

The Pats and now the Bucs have had extremely good OLs that keep Brady upright. Watch more NFL and you'll understand.
Watch more NFL and you'll understand that it isn't just the fact that he was ALWAYS surrounded by good OLs...........

Thanks for playing the lets get better QB play at Iowa game.

Joey Labas is the answer at QB. Better thrower, better runner and more confident. I think he pushed Hogan out of the long-term picture. Alex has some time left and should probably go MAC or Mountain West. Spencer really has only 1 season left doesn't he? He'll probably be Joey's back up.

The line problems are more significant. Iowa isn't getting much better quarterbacking without much improved line play. The right side is a mess. Plumb cannot pass or run block. How often this season did a team just crash four or five guys into Iowa backfield, blowing up whatever play Iowa was running? Being hit or hurried at the rate Iowa's two mediocrities absorbed this season gets into the guy's head, especially Spencer. Everything just becomes hurried and then you get the terrible throws on the rare occasions there is some time because the QB has to already be thinking about the pass rush. Iowa has used that script for years but this year it got flipped hard on the Hawks.

We know the QBs weren't very good but TyGood is. How many tackles for loss or no gain did Tyler have this season compared to last? The defense doesn't have to adjust that much for running or passing because they get into the backfield in time to blow up whatever Iowa is doing. Also, all the boots, misdirections, jet sweeps and other more sophisticated parts of the offense don't work if you cannot get blockers on the edge. They rarely existed this season.

The coaches aren't blind, they know what needs work in the off season. David Davidkov is probably going to upgrade the position he plays and Michael Myslinski might ease the pain a little if Tyler moves up. But there needs to be substantial improvement in that line for Iowa to improve significantly on offense.
Well my question is if he is so much better why not play him tonight?????? He could have played tonight and the bowl game and kept his redshirt year!!!! This starts at the top with a bad offense and it will never change as long as Kirk is here.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Well my question is if he is so much better why not play him tonight?????? He could have played tonight and the bowl game and kept his redshirt year!!!! This starts at the top with a bad offense and it will never change as long as Kirk is here.
I think they are too cautious to start a true freshman with no game experience.

My approach would be different. I'd spend the next four weeks getting Joey ready to start that bowl game and shock the Hawkeye world.

All true but TGood missed a lot of cut back lanes.

That’s the thing…if Labas really is that good why not play him….nothing to lose at this point….wouldn’t even affect his redshirt status….guessing he doesn’t play in bowl, which tells me this is all just a bunch of fake news.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
That’s the thing…if Labas really is that good why not play him….nothing to lose at this point….wouldn’t even affect his redshirt status….guessing he doesn’t play in bowl, which tells me this is all just a bunch of fake news.

Same reason we did not see Bruce and Johnson earlier in the year, the ol' seniority and stubbornness factors...

Tom Brady probably has one of the quickest releases of any NFL QB in history. His quick decision making and release, without sacrificing accuracy, make him difficult to sack.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I will be surprised if Labas is the QB next season. There won’t be an open competition this spring if the status quo remains. If Petras is still here, he will be handed the job. If Petras is gone, then it will be Padilla. Which I will be good with, because at least it won’t be Spencer.

Tom Brady probably has one of the quickest releases of any NFL QB in history. His quick decision making and release, without sacrificing accuracy, make him difficult to sack.
Not mutually exclusive to his OL. Tom Brady usually has a very good OL in front of him.

Brady gets the ball out quickly and they don't alllow pressure up the middle to the extent Iowa does,
so stepping up in the pocket is an option, Petras lacks the ability to decisively scan field and get rid of it
and doesn't move around in pocket to buy time.

I agree OLine and having other playmakers is key for qB success. Howeiver if you have those, then
you still need a playmaker QB. Petras and Padilo don't look to be that type.

Iowa offense kind of looks like the chicago bears of the NFL. Iowa does need a new offensive coordinator because KF/BF are overmatched and game has passed KOK. Everything needs to be on the table, including zone blocking.

Reactions: Hawkdome
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT