ADVERTISEMENT

So when Kirk turns it around next season, where will all of you go?

icu81222

HR All-American
Dec 4, 2008
Will you come back and give him credit or will you just slink away as if you never droned on and on for a couple years?

I think they will win at least 8 games this year and next year they should be really strong. I like the signs I have been seeing and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if they win at least 8 games this season

Will you come back and give him credit or will you just slink away as if you never droned on and on for a couple years?

I think they will win at least 8 games this year and next year they should be really strong. I like the signs I have been seeing and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if they win at least 8 games this season
We could be significantly better in 2016 and win fewer games than 2015; I suggest you look at the difference in the opponents on the 2 years' schedules.

Its hard to say how good of a team it will take to win 8 games. I think all Iowa fans would be satisfied with 8 wins, but I don't think it means Kirk has "brought the program back".

8 wins in the regular season, including a win over Iowa St and at least on other trophy game, along with some future stars emerging - that may generate some enthusiasm.

8 wins is probably just enough to justify him keeping his job by most. By no means are people super excited. It would have to be 8 games regular season. Think he needs 9 or possibly 10 to make the fire kirk now crowd to be silenced or ignored.

Reactions: bouma1415

Hmmm... Basically same Iowa team with basically same schedule except for now we have to go to Nebby, Wisky, and ISU.

And next year our schedule becomes a lot tougher. OP it's great to be optimistic but first let's be "realistic."

Iowa will not win 8 games. Next year we will be "lucky" to sniff 6 wins.

Isn't the over/under 7.5? Don't think 8 wins is going to impress against the absolute joke of a schedule.

More importantly, it's about how the team looks while playing and who they beat. Does the offense as a whole look different or is it still check down and a stacked box every play? Do the LBs show improvement? Do they beat at least one of WI/NE? Two out of WI/NE/MN? Again, 8 wins doesn't mean much against this overall schedule.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
"So when Kirk turns it around next season, where will all of you go?"

Hopefully to a decent bowl game.

What a question...8 games with what our schedule appears to be is an epic failure? He wins me back with 10 wins, and that is with the assumption he retires in 20! Game has passed him, NP and KO kept his job pretty easy. I don't know that this staff has what it takes to be anything other than average, and that's being nice.

Its hard to say how good of a team it will take to win 8 games. I think all Iowa fans would be satisfied with 8 wins, but I don't think it means Kirk has "brought the program back".
Since when has the program needed to be "brought back"? I don't really think it's fallen off to the point where we say it needs to be brought back?

Reactions: Rpchawk
Since when has the program needed to be "brought back"? I don't really think it's fallen off to the point where we say it needs to be brought back?

Good for you that you have expectations at knee level and you are OK with it. Nothing likea 19-21 conference record over the last 5 years.

chotchkies.jpg

Sure. I'll come back and give some credit. If you feel that the bare minimum is enough, then okay. But some people choose to wish for more and we encourage that, okay?

Good for you that you have expectations at knee level and you are OK with it. Nothing likea 19-21 conference record over the last 5 years.
Other than 2002-04 and 2009 we've averaged 7-8 wins a year, am I wrong? So we've really been at what you would call "knee level" for 12 out of Ferentz's 16 years. I honestly believe we've done fairly successful for the competition we've faced over the years in the Big 10. Now out of conference is another story for another day.

Reactions: ozziesimmons22
To answer the OP's question, no matter what happens the Ferentz haters will find a reason why he should go. If he wins 8 or more it will be because of the schedule.

I actually think it is going to be tougher with games at ISU, Wiscy, NW and Nebby. If he wins 8 I would be happy. I also agree, we should be much tougher in 2016.

Sure. If he can manage to beat those perennial College Football Powerhouses in Ames and Minneapolis, plus not get absolutely throttled by a 6-6 team in a Bowl Game, I'll come back and say "way to go Kirk".

Maybe with some really dumb luck we might even bolster some interest in the "those receiving votes" category for the Top 25. (the Top 25 is a ranking system they use to rank the current top programs in College Football, for those who are unaware..........)

If he turns it around this fall I will still not be on his side. All coaches have a turn around year from time to time but I don't believe Kirk is the man to keep Iowa close to the top of the BIG
Close to Ohio State, no. But then that's because Ohio State is the early 1980s SMU of the Big Ten.......

If you're willing to close your mind for a second though and shrink the 2014 season down to two games, Iowa was technically a defensive stop and an atrocious choke job away from being the ones to get their arse kicked by Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship Game.........

Iowa had the ability to win the West last year, but they vastly underperformed. It was basically a carbon copy/repeat of 2005, where we were a poorly officiated OT loss and another atrocious choke job from sharing our third Big Ten title in 4 years.

But again that's just me playing devil's advocate here. Iowa has the ability in most years to win division titles, or share conference titles (before we went to divisions), but more often than not we couldn't seem to hold it together over the course of a long season. Not to mention the overall strength of most Iowa teams didn't merit a chance to play for a Big Ten title anyway, if we're being totally honest. But greed has a way of clouding objectivity.

Point being, say Iowa had gotten the ball back against Wisconsin and went down and scored again, which was a real possibility considering Iowa had been moving the ball almost at will in their previous two drives, which is why Wisconsin went ball control to run out the clock, and they beat the Badgers; and then the following week they don't go full retread and hand Nebraska a hollow victory that still got Bo Pelini fired, and Iowa wins the West division.........................were we really a team deserving of a chance to upset Ohio State? There seems to be a very fine line between underachieving and overachieving and Iowa slipped off that line last year.
Riding the line to the finish would've been beating Wisconsin and Nebraska to win the tiebreaker for the West division (yes, again, that almost happened instead of what many would have you believe we went 5-7 last year..........). and then getting beat by Ohio State for the Big Ten title. THAT would be normal.......Overachieving would've been dropping a nuclear bomb on the line and beating Ohio State to win the title, which I'm not suggesting was possible, but that's the precedent for overachieving based on last year's talent level.

People can say "we are what we are", and while that's accurate, given that Iowa ultimately proved they weren't better than Wisconsin or Nebraska, they are at least capable of putting themselves in the conversation, more often than not, with what happens while walking that thin line being the deciding factor in the overall outcome of a season (excluding the bowl games....those seem to be a mystery box of unpredictability given the absolute mixed/roller coaster of results in Kirk's career. A lot of times they do end up being microcosms of the season though....)

And now to wrap up what was suppose to be a short point about this year's team..............that's why I see the bar for this year's team at 6.5 wins, not 7.5 or more. The talent at certain positions has dropped off considerably and just to be in the same position to compete for the Big Ten West again with the "talent" we have this year, would be overachieving. Which is to say, anything over 8 wins is overachieving, IMHO, with this year's team. Anything under 6.5 is underachieving, but should not come as a surprise. Disappointing, of course, but not surprising. This team does not have a viable offensive line capable of competing with the best teams in the conference. And if there is a collective group of 5 linemen in that bunch they have that IS capable, it's gonna be at least a year or more likely two before we see that progress come to fruition. And of course by then, the vicious cycle of poor timing and turnover (graduation) will have affected other key positions that we won't be strong enough to compete because of that, then. Iowa's best years under Kirk are when we manage to get, and KEEP, a f***ing core group together (and not have them bounce because of injury/family/playing time/etc) and they have time to develop together over the years.

So suffice it to say, success could be in store down the road with this current group of young Hawkeyes.......................but it won't be this year. Part of that can be blamed on Ferentz and staff because of recruiting, and part of that is because the talent just isn't there, no matter how hard those kids may be working to get ready for the 2015 season.

That is the reality.

#tl;dr :cool:

Hmmm... Basically same Iowa team with basically same schedule except for now we have to go to Nebby, Wisky, and ISU.

And next year our schedule becomes a lot tougher. OP it's great to be optimistic but first let's be "realistic."

Iowa will not win 8 games. Next year we will be "lucky" to sniff 6 wins.

How is having a new QB, new RB, new LT,new DT, etc. etc. "Basically the same team"?

If he turns it around I will be happy for an enjoyable season. Saying that, I still wish he'd resign. He's 60 years old and will always be facing the question of will he be here for another 4 or 5 years which affects recruiting. He will likely never land any real difference makers for the offense and will always be playing cautious football to keep the defense in the game. The sooner Iowa moves on the better our chances are for competing in the modern football world. Not a Kirk hater but a hater of continually conservative football. Let the bashing begin.

Reactions: And1Hawk
To answer the OP's question, no matter what happens the Ferentz haters will find a reason why he should go. If he wins 8 or more it will be because of the schedule.

I actually think it is going to be tougher with games at ISU, Wiscy, NW and Nebby. If he wins 8 I would be happy. I also agree, we should be much tougher in 2016.

Maybe I can keep this post shorter. But given the talent level of the 2015 team, I do agree that winning 8 or more games even with this schedule, would be an over-achievement.

I expect Iowa to go 5-7 this year. Maybe 6-6 if they happen to finally win a close game somewhere along the line. 6.5 wins should be the over/under on the season. Not 7.5, but then I don't think most of the general fanbase realizes how inconsistent this roster (not to be confused with team) is gonna be.

We have a subpar offensive line, especially compared to last year's group that never really came together the way they should have, we have one above average TE that we may or may not utilize enough (because who knows anymore given our hit and miss usage of TEs over the last 5 years), an average collective defensive line with one solid All-Big Ten caliber player and a bunch of also-rans every other team could throw out to match, inconsistent defensive backs with one young star that needs to start building on the hype of a promising freshman campaign, a young group of linebackers still growing into the position and who probably still need another year of seasoning, an extremely thin group of wide receiver 'talent' that has struggled in recent years regardless, mainly due to our offense and collective decision-making skills or lack thereof, and one QB with any experience.

The only bright spot, once again and if you could call it that, is our plethora of supposedly okay running backs. Each adds something different, but until they develop better vision and ball security, it doesn't really matter how much "potential" they have. Canzeri is the veteran and hopefully he can provide some kind of steady influence for the offense and for the younger backs. Daniels is the bruiser. Wadley and Parker have youth and speed, but they need to start taking care of the ball so they can stay on the field. There are also a host of promising young backs, so again, this position is the bright spot. But how well they develop, or if they develop, is a straight-up crap shoot.
Remember, running back is a skill position and Iowa is awful at developing skill position players, although RBs do seem to have the best track record of results of the three key offensive skill positions.

2016 can be for another post, but let's just say we better f***ing start building some depth at WR this year.

Special teams improved last season notwithstanding Nebraska. The secondary should be very good, and I'm guessing we blitz quite a bit due to the unproven defensive line. This could be either good or bad. QB remains unproven, but based on body language of WR's, I think it's an overall improvement. Both WR and RB have potential.

We're allegedly supposed to be able to develop OT and DT's.

I think we get to 7 or 8 wins if a couple of things fall in to place. I can see either 2016/2017 being something much more palatable.

Interesting thing with the West division is no one team stands above the others and all lost their top players. Wisky losses Gordon who helped cover up mediocre qb play last year. Clement is good but still Gordon was unreal last year. Not sure how much on OL need to replace. Nebraska losses Abdullah and Gregory and had some attrition at Lb spot and we all saw in 2010 what happened when Iowa thin at that position and how injuries killed us that year. Minnesota losses An under rated Cobb at RB and Max Williams at TE who both torched the Hawks last year. More pressure this season for leidner to make some throws.

Long story short think the west will be a crap shoot again and as we all know one thing that will help Iowa is big 10 cross over opponents. Everyone high on Minnesota but they have OSU and Michigan. Nebraska has sparty.

Close to Ohio State, no. But then that's because Ohio State is the early 1980s SMU of the Big Ten.......

If you're willing to close your mind for a second though and shrink the 2014 season down to two games, Iowa was technically a defensive stop and an atrocious choke job away from being the ones to get their arse kicked by Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship Game.........

Iowa had the ability to win the West last year, but they vastly underperformed. It was basically a carbon copy/repeat of 2005, where we were a poorly officiated OT loss and another atrocious choke job from sharing our third Big Ten title in 4 years.

But again that's just me playing devil's advocate here. Iowa has the ability in most years to win division titles, or share conference titles (before we went to divisions), but more often than not we couldn't seem to hold it together over the course of a long season. Not to mention the overall strength of most Iowa teams didn't merit a chance to play for a Big Ten title anyway, if we're being totally honest. But greed has a way of clouding objectivity.

Point being, say Iowa had gotten the ball back against Wisconsin and went down and scored again, which was a real possibility considering Iowa had been moving the ball almost at will in their previous two drives, which is why Wisconsin went ball control to run out the clock, and they beat the Badgers; and then the following week they don't go full retread and hand Nebraska a hollow victory that still got Bo Pelini fired, and Iowa wins the West division.........................were we really a team deserving of a chance to upset Ohio State? There seems to be a very fine line between underachieving and overachieving and Iowa slipped off that line last year.
Riding the line to the finish would've been beating Wisconsin and Nebraska to win the tiebreaker for the West division (yes, again, that almost happened instead of what many would have you believe we went 5-7 last year..........). and then getting beat by Ohio State for the Big Ten title. THAT would be normal.......Overachieving would've been dropping a nuclear bomb on the line and beating Ohio State to win the title, which I'm not suggesting was possible, but that's the precedent for overachieving based on last year's talent level.

People can say "we are what we are", and while that's accurate, given that Iowa ultimately proved they weren't better than Wisconsin or Nebraska, they are at least capable of putting themselves in the conversation, more often than not, with what happens while walking that thin line being the deciding factor in the overall outcome of a season (excluding the bowl games....those seem to be a mystery box of unpredictability given the absolute mixed/roller coaster of results in Kirk's career. A lot of times they do end up being microcosms of the season though....)

And now to wrap up what was suppose to be a short point about this year's team..............that's why I see the bar for this year's team at 6.5 wins, not 7.5 or more. The talent at certain positions has dropped off considerably and just to be in the same position to compete for the Big Ten West again with the "talent" we have this year, would be overachieving. Which is to say, anything over 8 wins is overachieving, IMHO, with this year's team. Anything under 6.5 is underachieving, but should not come as a surprise. Disappointing, of course, but not surprising. This team does not have a viable offensive line capable of competing with the best teams in the conference. And if there is a collective group of 5 linemen in that bunch they have that IS capable, it's gonna be at least a year or more likely two before we see that progress come to fruition. And of course by then, the vicious cycle of poor timing and turnover (graduation) will have affected other key positions that we won't be strong enough to compete because of that, then. Iowa's best years under Kirk are when we manage to get, and KEEP, a f***ing core group together (and not have them bounce because of injury/family/playing time/etc) and they have time to develop together over the years.

So suffice it to say, success could be in store down the road with this current group of young Hawkeyes.......................but it won't be this year. Part of that can be blamed on Ferentz and staff because of recruiting, and part of that is because the talent just isn't there, no matter how hard those kids may be working to get ready for the 2015 season.

That is the reality.

#tl;dr :cool:

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on here. I would not write this year off yet...there is always that "unpredictability" factor. Maybe they grow up and over achieve this year??

Here's a more detailed rundown of our depth chart, with a brief look at 2016 to follow (pessimists, you should enjoy this forecast, so get your notepads ready):

QB- Beathard, Wiegers, freshmen.....and some kid named Justin Joyce (Soph.)
.....The future is set, but again we're talking about a skill position and Iowa develops those about as fast as trees grow....except QBs only get 4/5 years to do so. Trees usually take several decades..........
Beathard gets to be the one-man show until fans get tired of him and call for the next backup to become the star of the franchise, err wait this is college. We shouldn't treat it like we do our pro teams.... lol.gif

RB- Canzeri, Daniels, a bunch of guys who fumble a lot...or more than the two starters
.....Again the future is set. Canzeri and our two FBs (Plewa and Cox) are the only seniors in this group. As long as the young guys can learn to hold onto the football, they should be a pretty solid group for the next several years. Of course they'll always look as good as the line that blocks for them, but that's down the page a bit.

TE- Duzey, Krieger-Coble, Kittle
.....Another solid group of TEs for Ferentz to under-utilize....or is it the QB that under-utilizes them? Duzey could be All-Big Ten. Kittle is one of those guys that comes out of nowhere to make a big catch (23 ypc) and then fades back into the nowhere from whence he came. Seriously, who actually sees this guy sub in? He is the master of the subtle sub. Appear unassumingly on the field, and then make a 23 yard catch or is targeted for one...and then off the field he goes, and nobody is the wiser. Meanwhile, I still can't overlook the fact that Krieger-Coble once jumped out of the way of a ball on an onside kick. That's almost as bad as Parker lateraling the ball to nobody before running out of bounds against Tennessee.

WR- Tevaun Smith, Hillyer, Vandeberg (not Vandenberg), Stone, and lots of trial by fire......
.....Smith could honestly work himself into a mid to late round draft prospect IMHO. He's probably gonna be the main guy for our beleagured WR unit. The question will be how are we gonna get him open considering that every team presumably knows this? Oh btw....good luck finding someone to throw to in 2016, C.J.

OT- Boone Myers (the pride of Webster City, Iowa), Ike Boettger (the pride of Cedar Falls, Iowa..........right after Ross Pierschbacher committed to Alabama), Cole Croston, Keegan Render, Ryan Ward, and lots of other nameless faces
.....So basically Iowa has struggled every year they're breaking in a new, or newer, offensive line, especially at OT. Iowa is replacing two. And yet you people honestly think 8+ wins is expected, anyways? Judging the outcome of the 2015 season should start and end with this position right here....but it won't because people need to have their expectations or else they're not being fanly enough for the fandom of the fanbase...................

OG- Walsh and Welsh, Keppy, Reynolds, freshmen and friends....
.....Walsh and Welsh should be somewhat better with another year of experience under their belts although there's been rumors about the status of Welsh on the team. Behind them though are mostly unproven guys. It'll be interesting to see if any of the incoming freshmen and second-year guys get a shot or see playing time in the unlikely event that we build a 3+ score lead on a team this year.

C- Blythe, Simmons, and btw Steve Ferentz is still playing football
.....Blythe has All-Big Ten potential and could be a draft prospect as well. Here's to hoping for an injury free 2015 for our offensive line........because otherwise we're f***ed.

DE- Ott, Meier, Matt Nelson, Parker Hesse (yeah, that athletic QB that led Waukon to the State finals in 2013....up to 240 now), Melvin Spears
.....Ott is another All-Big Ten and NFL draft candidate. It also looks like we've gone the way of the current trend with more slimmer, athletic DEs in Meier and now Parker Hesse, who was a play-making QB in high school converted to DE. Apparently, he's made enough of a splash to land a 2nd string spot on the depth chart behind Ott. Depth though is rail thin.

DT- Johnson, Bazata, Ekakitie, Terlouw, Reiff, maybe Darian Cooper. It's unfortunate that Cooper hasn't been able to stay healthy. Hopefully we see him back this year because DT is another thin spot. Losing Davis and Trinca-Pasat will be hard to replace. 10 of the 20 defensive linemen on Iowa's current roster are from Iowa...................

LB- Niemann, Bower, Jewell, Fisher, Perry, Mends, and young people only the crowd that spends their time following the recruiting of high school kids would know............not judging..............or am I?
.....Well, for starters...they can't get any worse, amirite? Hahahahaha...guys? Anyone?. 11 of the 16 linebackers are freshmen or redshirt freshmen, which is basically everyone after our top 5 listed. Howwwww does that happen? On the bright side, they'll be here a while, and have plenty of time to develop. That usually spells success in years 3, 4 and 5. Unfortunately, this is still year 2.....

CB- King, Mabin, Fleming, Draper, committee
.....King is the other star of the defense, along with Ott. The hope is that he continues his progress from a solid freshman and almost-as-solid sophomore season to become the next lock-down corner at Iowa. Fortunately, he didn't have a sophomore season like Amari Spievey had so regardless of how well King does this year, we should expect to see him back for his senior season in 2016, which will be nice. Mabin and Fleming need to also improve because getting off the field on 3rd downs is a key statistic in judging the success or failure of a Kirk Ferentz team. And it's not just getting stops on 3rd down or winning the 3rd down conversion battle in a given game, a certain percentage must be met. And more often than not when we struggle, it's because we're giving up 3rd and longs and passing situations. The secondary needs to find a way to force more turnovers, and get off the field on 3rd/4th and longs.

S- Lomax, Taylor, Gair, Snyder, whoever the f*** Kirk feels like putting out there
.....Is Solomon Warfield still on the team? If so, he's a name to keep an eye on, as well. Lomax should be better-ish. I have no idea who Miles Taylor is, but he's replacing John Lowdermilk, soooo.....and Gair is turning into a career back-up. There's potential among the defensive backfield group. But it takes time to develop them. Time Iowa, and especially Kirk Ferentz, doesn't have.

ST- Koehn is back at kicker. Kidd is back at punter. Kornbrath is the backup, as well as the listed holder. All 3 are seniors already. o_O
Parker is the lone kick return man listed, though we'll probably see another WR or RB back with him. Vandeberg takes over for Riley McCarron at punt return, which excites the Hawkeye fanbase to no end. Tyler Kluver is the long snapper, and Jackson Suppert is the backup.

Now, along with having to replace all special teams players next year, Iowa returns just 5 listed starters on offense (QB, WR, LT, RT, OG), and 8 on defense (DT, DT, LB, LB, LB, CB, CB, S).

If 2016's team is suppose to be better, then it must be because we'll have a lot of experience on the defensive end along with a plethora of young running backs for our improving O-line to block for. Maybe Iowa should run more option next year........or even this year, wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: ryno99
You seem like the type of poster that was yelling that others should eat crow after that impressive Northwestern victory.

This is how I break down the 2015 schedule:
Illinois State: W, Haven't lost to an FCS school yet, not gonna happen now.
@ISU: W, Iowa seems to perform well in Ames as of late, Cy-Hawk's coming back to IC.
Pitt: W, Night game at Kinnick...I think Pitt will hang around but Iowa defense comes up big.
NT: W, McCarney's 1st homecoming with NT, will be motivated but Iowa will be too much in the end.
@Wisky: L, Even with a new coach I think the talent level will still be too much for Iowa.
Illinois: W, As long as that joke of a coach is there Iowa will win.
@Northwestern: W, Fitz always has his boys ready to play against us, but we take care of business
Maryland: L, Speed kills, in this case Maryland has a lot more of it than Iowa.
@Indiana: W, Tevin Coleman isn't there to keep Indy around this year.
Minnesota: L, unfortunately I think Coach Kill has us figured out, coaching wins this game.
Purdue: W, Just out physical them and they might be the one team in B1G that we're faster than
@Nebby W, Iowa seems to come ready to play for this game, and I think they finish unlike last year.

Now this could change tomorrow, a week, a month from now, but today this is how I break down our schedule, isn't set in stone.

Here's a more detailed rundown of our depth chart, with a brief look at 2016 to follow (pessimists, you should enjoy this forecast, so get your notepads ready):

QB- Beathard, Wiegers, freshmen.....and some kid named Justin Joyce (Soph.)
.....The future is set, but again we're talking about a skill position and Iowa develops those about as fast as trees grow....except QBs only get 4/5 years to do so. Trees usually take several decades..........
Beathard gets to be the one-man show until fans get tired of him and call for the next backup to become the star of the franchise, err wait this is college. We shouldn't treat it like we do our pro teams.... lol.gif

RB- Canzeri, Daniels, a bunch of guys who fumble a lot...or more than the two starters
.....Again the future is set. Canzeri and our two FBs (Plewa and Cox) are the only seniors in this group. As long as the young guys can learn to hold onto the football, they should be a pretty solid group for the next several years. Of course they'll always look as good as the line that blocks for them, but that's down the page a bit.

TE- Duzey, Krieger-Coble, Kittle
.....Another solid group of TEs for Ferentz to under-utilize....or is it the QB that under-utilizes them? Duzey could be All-Big Ten. Kittle is one of those guys that comes out of nowhere to make a big catch (23 ypc) and then fades back into the nowhere from whence he came. Seriously, who actually sees this guy sub in? He is the master of the subtle sub. Appear unassumingly on the field, and then make a 23 yard catch or is targeted for one...and then off the field he goes, and nobody is the wiser. Meanwhile, I still can't overlook the fact that Krieger-Coble once jumped out of the way of a ball on an onside kick. That's almost as bad as Parker lateraling the ball to nobody before running out of bounds against Tennessee.

WR- Tevaun Smith, Hillyer, Vandeberg (not Vandenberg), Stone, and lots of trial by fire......
.....Smith could honestly work himself into a mid to late round draft prospect IMHO. He's probably gonna be the main guy for our beleagured WR unit. The question will be how are we gonna get him open considering that every team presumably knows this? Oh btw....good luck finding someone to throw to in 2016, C.J.

OT- Boone Myers (the pride of Webster City, Iowa), Ike Boettger (the pride of Cedar Falls, Iowa..........right after Ross Pierschbacher committed to Alabama), Cole Croston, Keegan Render, Ryan Ward, and lots of other nameless faces
.....So basically Iowa has struggled every year they're breaking in a new, or newer, offensive line, especially at OT. Iowa is replacing two. And yet you people honestly think 8+ wins is expected, anyways? Judging the outcome of the 2015 season should start and end with this position right here....but it won't because people need to have their expectations or else they're not being fanly enough for the fandom of the fanbase...................

OG- Walsh and Welsh, Keppy, Reynolds, freshmen and friends....
.....Walsh and Welsh should be somewhat better with another year of experience under their belts although there's been rumors about the status of Welsh on the team. Behind them though are mostly unproven guys. It'll be interesting to see if any of the incoming freshmen and second-year guys get a shot or see playing time in the unlikely event that we build a 3+ score lead on a team this year.

C- Blythe, Simmons, and btw Steve Ferentz is still playing football
.....Blythe has All-Big Ten potential and could be a draft prospect as well. Here's to hoping for an injury free 2015 for our offensive line........because otherwise we're f***ed.

DE- Ott, Meier, Matt Nelson, Parker Hesse (yeah, that athletic QB that led Waukon to the State finals in 2013....up to 240 now), Melvin Spears
.....Ott is another All-Big Ten and NFL draft candidate. It also looks like we've gone the way of the current trend with more slimmer, athletic DEs in Meier and now Parker Hesse, who was a play-making QB in high school converted to DE. Apparently, he's made enough of a splash to land a 2nd string spot on the depth chart behind Ott. Depth though is rail thin.

DT- Johnson, Bazata, Ekakitie, Terlouw, Reiff, maybe Darian Cooper. It's unfortunate that Cooper hasn't been able to stay healthy. Hopefully we see him back this year because DT is another thin spot. Losing Davis and Trinca-Pasat will be hard to replace. 10 of the 20 defensive linemen on Iowa's current roster are from Iowa...................

LB- Niemann, Bower, Jewell, Fisher, Perry, Mends, and young people only the crowd that spends their time following the recruiting of high school kids would know............not judging..............or am I?
.....Well, for starters...they can't get any worse, amirite? Hahahahaha...guys? Anyone?. 11 of the 16 linebackers are freshmen or redshirt freshmen, which is basically everyone after our top 5 listed. Howwwww does that happen? On the bright side, they'll be here a while, and have plenty of time to develop. That usually spells success in years 3, 4 and 5. Unfortunately, this is still year 2.....

CB- King, Mabin, Fleming, Draper, committee
.....King is the other star of the defense, along with Ott. The hope is that he continues his progress from a solid freshman and almost-as-solid sophomore season to become the next lock-down corner at Iowa. Fortunately, he didn't have a sophomore season like Amari Spievey had so regardless of how well King does this year, we should expect to see him back for his senior season in 2016, which will be nice. Mabin and Fleming need to also improve because getting off the field on 3rd downs is a key statistic in judging the success or failure of a Kirk Ferentz team. And it's not just getting stops on 3rd down or winning the 3rd down conversion battle in a given game, a certain percentage must be met. And more often than not when we struggle, it's because we're giving up 3rd and longs and passing situations. The secondary needs to find a way to force more turnovers, and get off the field on 3rd/4th and longs.

S- Lomax, Taylor, Gair, Snyder, whoever the f*** Kirk feels like putting out there
.....Is Solomon Warfield still on the team? If so, he's a name to keep an eye on, as well. Lomax should be better-ish. I have no idea who Miles Taylor is, but he's replacing John Lowdermilk, soooo.....and Gair is turning into a career back-up. There's potential among the defensive backfield group. But it takes time to develop them. Time Iowa, and especially Kirk Ferentz, doesn't have.

ST- Koehn is back at kicker. Kidd is back at punter. Kornbrath is the backup, as well as the listed holder. All 3 are seniors already. o_O
Parker is the lone kick return man listed, though we'll probably see another WR or RB back with him. Vandeberg takes over for Riley McCarron at punt return, which excites the Hawkeye fanbase to no end. Tyler Kluver is the long snapper, and Jackson Suppert is the backup.

Now, along with having to replace all special teams players next year, Iowa returns just 5 listed starters on offense (QB, WR, LT, RT, OG), and 8 on defense (DT, DT, LB, LB, LB, CB, CB, S).

If 2016's team is suppose to be better, then it must be because we'll have a lot of experience on the defensive end along with a plethora of young running backs for our improving O-line to block for. Maybe Iowa should run more option next year........or even this year, wouldn't hurt.

Don't quit your day job. Clueless.

One or two good seasons every eights years is always exciting...not.

Other than 2002-04 and 2009 we've averaged 7-8 wins a year, am I wrong? So we've really been at what you would call "knee level" for 12 out of Ferentz's 16 years. I honestly believe we've done fairly successful for the competition we've faced over the years in the Big 10. Now out of conference is another story for another day.

Except for NW, Indiana, Minnesota.

I think you have just highlighted what most consider to be the problem.

Mediocrity has been the norm for 10 years, and for the last 4 years against really easy schedules.

Its past time for a change.

Reactions: DewHawk
You seem like the type of poster that was yelling that others should eat crow after that impressive Northwestern victory.
No I'm the guy that tells that guy to do that because I want to see how people would respond.

You seem to be the guy I'm hoping responds..................................

funny-well-done-gif-Picard-clapping.gif

Don't quit your day job. Clueless.
Is that advice you're giving yourself, or were you actually trying to question anything I said there? I couldn't tell. All you wrote was a sentence and the word "clueless" afterwards. Not much to go on. (Or I should say, less than what I wrote, so I can eliminate that comeback option for you.......)

Good luck with this, since you decided to go this route. I'm rooting for you.

I think it all comes down to the OL and RBs this year. If they do well then Iowa will win 9 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT