ADVERTISEMENT

So who will we (MBB) meet in the NIT?

Yep, on defense Fran's teams double the ballhandler too early which leaves easy passes to wide open shooters. Many times the double is not needed because our defender isnt beat yet. They have been doing this for years.

It one of the things that makes it hard to watch. But I would love them to have a big offensive comeback in this game
Excited Season 1 GIF by The Office

Figure this will be the last we see of this team until next week.

I’ve been thinking they could make a deep run in the NIT but now I have my doubts. No physicality, no toughness, no defense.
Who cares the team is a joke and their coach i a moron!

Makes sense, since I doubt Iowa gets a home game.

NIT doesn't allow this anymore. All games are in home arenas.

Unless Caitlin says "Sure, you can jam up CHA with your lousy basketball, media, etc. early in the week; doesn't interfere with my prep," then Iowa will be on the road next week.

I assume this is a joke...

The fan base is probably rather uninspired at this point, but I don't think the team would be. Don't get me wrong, though; they'll probably still look pretty crappy.
I remember going to an NIT at Carver in one of Fran's early years. Basabe might have been a frosh or soph, maybe Oleseni on the team, some real good play, young Marble.

Carver was packed, very loud, and a fun environment with a close win by the hawks, everyone was happy to see postseason bball

For the NIT, if Iowa gets home games, they should move them around the state. Play a game in the Quad Cities, play another in Dubuque, etc…smaller venues and people would show up from those areas to watch. Carver will be a ghost town

Reactions: shudaddy and Moral
For the NIT, if Iowa gets home games, they should move them around the state. Play a game in the Quad Cities, play another in Dubuque, etc…smaller venues and people would show up from those areas to watch. Carver will be a ghost town
Then maybe another one in Clinton and finally one in Keokuk. You know, really sprinkle them "around the state". :)

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
I remember going to an NIT at Carver in one of Fran's early years. Basabe might have been a frosh or soph, maybe Oleseni on the team, some real good play, young Marble.

Carver was packed, very loud, and a fun environment with a close win by the hawks, everyone was happy to see postseason bball
Things are a little different now. In ‘12-‘13 the fan base was rejoicing having put the Lick era behind them. Now, after 10+ long years of postseason futility, I don’t picture them being quite as enthusiastic about an NIT bid.

Reactions: skydog0784

Went to NIT games against Stony Brook and Dayton. Very fun and loud atmospheres. And you could tell the players were having fun as well.

This year's team is not that............

Reactions: skydog0784
I'll try to comprise a list of teams that will or most likely will be in the NIT, and go from there.

It's worth noting they have changed up the format for the NIT this year. The top two teams in each of the P6 bball conferences in terms of NET rankings that don't make the NCAA Tournament will receive an automatic bid to the NIT. There will also be guaranteed entry and hosting bids to the teams that finish in the NCAA selection committee's "First Four Out".

Depending on how motivated we are, we could win the home game, and then end the season against either Cincinnati or Boston College.
And Fran will rack up another impressive tournament win in March to boot! On the big stage, at the Mark in QC - lol!

I do give Fran credit for that nice BTT run and championship in 2022 - of course right before totally messing up the Richmond game. It took him way to long to realize Richmond couldn't stop Keegan when he posted up his man down low as I recall.

Not to mention, that horrendous job he did against Oregon where Joe T brought the Hawks back to within 4 points after being down big early. Brings back JBo (along with CJF) who were horrible matchups against the OR guards.

And Fran will rack up another impressive tournament win in March to boot! On the big stage, at the Mark in QC - lol!

I do give Fran credit for that nice BTT run and championship in 2022 - of course right before totally messing up the Richmond game. It took him way to long to realize Richmond couldn't stop Keegan when he posted up his man down low as I recall.

Not to mention, that horrendous job he did against Oregon where Joe T brought the Hawks back to within 4 points after being down big early. Brings back JBo (along with CJF) who were horrible matchups against the OR guards.
Did you forget that Keegan rolled his ankle and played through the pain in the 2nd half against Richmond?

I heard Tuesday in Carver.
Yeah, the 1st Rd won't be a conflict at all.

The Iowa women wouldn't play until either Friday or Saturday.

Then it just depends on how the teams do, and if they're hosting, etc.

If Iowa is anything lower than a 2 seed in the NIT, then this won't be an issue, unless the lower seed won. In which case, Iowa won't be hosting their 2nd Rd game anyway.

Did you forget that Keegan rolled his ankle and played through the pain in the 2nd half against Richmond?
Yes, I did forget that. I recall he was successfully taking his man down low pretty regularly towards the end of the game but we didn't take advantage of that mismatch soon enough. I may not be remembering that accurately either though.

Makes sense, since I doubt Iowa gets a home game.

NIT doesn't allow this anymore. All games are in home arenas.

Unless Caitlin says "Sure, you can jam up CHA with your lousy basketball, media, etc. early in the week; doesn't interfere with my prep," then Iowa will be on the road next week.

I assume this is a joke...

The fan base is probably rather uninspired at this point, but I don't think the team would be. Don't get me wrong, though; they'll probably still look pretty crappy.
Does NIT trump NCAA?

Who will the Iowa men meet in the NIT?

I think I can say with nearly 100% certainty it will be a team with better guards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT