ADVERTISEMENT

some are giving the Zags to much credit

Hawkeye2222

HB MVP
Dec 21, 2014
they beat NDST 86-76 and NDST tallest player was only 6'9. FR Eliason the next tallest was 6'8 JR Kading. then tere are a pair of 6'7 FR in Miller and Wesenberg

NDST also only had 1 SR. in 6'3 guard Alexander, with height and experience there is no way the score should have been as close as it was, Gonzaga went 19-28 from the FTL vs NDST who went 8-12.

NDST went 10-21 from 3 to Gonzaga went 7-22, can Gonzaga match IA speed and Athletic ability.

If the same team that showed up yesterday shows up tomorrow it don't matter what Gonzaga has goin on. We win simple as that. If we lose I think it will be because of ourselves. Just go out and play hard and good shit will happen!

Gonzaga didn't play particularly well (neither did Kentucky today, so it happens to everyone) and I'm not as intimidated by them as perhaps some other Top 8 seeds after seeing them play. That being said.....

- Gonzaga has 2 losses all year. I don't care who they played, that's a very good record, and arguably the played a harder schedule than UNI who had 3 losses.

- Gonzaga is very balanced and has the bigs to slow us down inside. When Iowa loses it is typically to teams that can protect the rim, since we are very inconsistent from outside. These teams also prevent Gesell from scoring inside, cutting off another part of our offense since he is not going to score a lot from deep.

- Gonzaga had the 5th most efficient offense in the country this year - like ISU and Wisconsin level efficiency. And their defense is about as good as Iowa's if not a touch better, although Iowa's defense lately has been Top 20 in my opinion.

We have plenty to worry about. I don't think we'll get a lot inside tomorrow, and we'll have to get points off the break and from the arc to win. This means Jok and particularly Uthoff will have to play well. If those 2 don't get at least 25 points between them we'll be in trouble.

Olaseni might be a wild card because his combo of size AND quickness could be interesting in this matchup.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:
Other than Wisconsin, they will be the best team we have played this season.

Maybe. ..we've played some pretty good teams. I like us going in as the underdog. Playing in their back yard. ....no pressure on our guys who clearly are playing well at the end of the season. Tom reports that our guys seem pretty relaxed. All that said we may very well get beat but I think the Zags will have to play really well to get that done.

Again I could be wrong but I don't think they are anywhere near as good as Wisconsin.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Gonzaga is a good team, That said, Iowa is 4-4 vs teams making the final 32. 2 of those losses came to Wisconsin, So Iowa is indeed a pretty good team as well. I have no idea who will win the game, I just know that Iowa has played some quality competition and done fairly well against them. You can make a strong case for either team depending on how you want to break it down. Obviously nationally the Zags are the favorites, The seeding speaks for itself. Being a biased Iowa fan I think the Hawks have a pretty good shot at taking them out. I think we are more battle tested then they are.

put IA in that conference and IA would win the same number of games, MG has that real nice 15-17' jumper. and Jok as deveoled that jumper as well to go with his outside shot. its not all about shooting 3's. far to many teams and fans link the 3 is the end all to winning games. FT's will win more games, as I pointed out the Zags shot 29 FT's to NDST 12, IA likes to pound it into the middle, the question is again can the Zags match the speed and Athletic ability of IA's big's.

also their players are 6'10 but what is their wingspan, Gabe has the wing span of a 7'4 player that and he is quicker than those players. by the games I have seen. even Woody is quicker than their big man,

to many of you continue to bash these IA players. giving them absolutely no credit for having any talent.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

put IA in that conference and IA would win the same number of games, MG has that real nice 15-17' jumper. and Jok as deveoled that jumper as well to go with his outside shot. its not all about shooting 3's. far to many teams and fans link the 3 is the end all to winning games. FT's will win more games, as I pointed out the Zags shot 29 FT's to NDST 12, IA likes to pound it into the middle, the question is again can the Zags match the speed and Athletic ability of IA's big's.

also their players are 6'10 but what is their wingspan, Gabe has the wing span of a 7'4 player that and he is quicker than those players. by the games I have seen. even Woody is quicker than their big man,

to many of you continue to bash these IA players. giving them absolutely no credit for having any talent.
Giving Gonzaga credit is not the same as bashing Iowa players. Of course you will never understand that.

Gonzaga will be the first team we've played since Wisc-Pur-Wisc who can match our size/length inside. They're not just favored because they won a lot of games in a smaller conference.

Zags played two rated teams all year, and none since early December. They split. They're big but looked very slow vs NDS. It's been awhile, but Iowa killed NDS. You can't often go with comparative scores so far apart in time, but Gonzaga just doesn't look that scary. Also, in their heads is the fact that they haven't gotten beyond first weekend forever. Even though Iowa hasn't either, Zags seem to be under much more pressure because of expectations. In a tight game, they could piddle it away.

This game is very very doable for Iowa. Hate to look ahead, but we all do. A game against UCLA would be tougher. They're on a roll, playing with house money because so many said they didn't belong. Alford would be best shooter on floor, Two inside bigs for UCLA look much quicker than Zags and more athletic than Hawks. It would be tough to take for so many Hawk fans who hate Alford, but I'm afraid Hawks could get punked. Time will tell. Get by Zags first.

UCLA lost 1 game at home this yr.

They got run out of Pauley by Gonzaga.

Arizona was 17-0 at home this yr. Their closest game, a 3 pt. OT win vs Gonzaga.

7 days later Michigan visited Tucson & lost by 27.

Those to Pac schools are in the S16.

The WCC is not the Big 10, but GU can play a little.
This post was edited on 3/21 10:54 PM by sittingon50

Can you please just die? I rarely post here but read this board often.

You are without question the absolute biggest idiot who has ever been allowed to post anything on the Internet.

Originally posted by goodbyebobby:

Can you please just die? I rarely post here but read this board often.

You are without question the absolute biggest idiot who has ever been allowed to post anything on the Internet.
cmon bro

they beat NDST 86-76 and NDST tallest player was only 6'9. FR Eliason the next tallest was 6'8 JR Kading. then tere are a pair of 6'7 FR in Miller and Wesenberg

NDST also only had 1 SR. in 6'3 guard Alexander, with height and experience there is no way the score should have been as close as it was, Gonzaga went 19-28 from the FTL vs NDST who went 8-12.

NDST went 10-21 from 3 to Gonzaga went 7-22, can Gonzaga match IA speed and Athletic ability.
However bad we beat North Dakota State in November has no bearing on Sunday's game. None. So don't suggest it's something actually meaningful to compare an early season game with an NCAA tournament game some 30 games later..

Iowa is the underdog for a reason. We are going to have to play a great game to have a shot of winning this game. Gonzaga has been the best from out West for almost 10 years. We will have to earn this one.

Listen up, and listen good. I hate to say "I told you so;" Actually, I love to say it. I told you Davidson was a bunch of "little people" who would have a tough time winning a major college intramural league. They didn't belong nearly as much as half of the teams in the NIT. It's just NCAA formula and feeble attempt at equity. What happened? An Iowa killing.

This round, if Iowa is as good as we think/hope, they should beat this Zags team who plays 3 quality teams all year. It will be single digit game but should be Hawk victory. Gonzaga always doubts themselves at this time of year--and for good reason.

Next round: UCLA (despite losing to Gonzaga long time ago) is tougher match-up for Hawks. Dapper, silk-smooth Steve gives Hawk fans even more reason to hate him. UCLA handles Hawks with more athleticism.

Again, I will have to say: "I told you so." Listen up.

And Iowa blew out N Dakota State 2nd game of year. It was still a blow out.

Arizona beat a Michigan team that went what. 16-16 and lost to IA 72-54 ON THEIR Court. and if Gonzaga is the best team in the west then why is it that Arizona got the #1 seed in the west.

of course the closet clown fans do their best to put IA down and won't give IA credit. or the players.

Arizona beat a Michigan team that went what. 16-16 and lost to IA 72-54 ON THEIR Court. and if Gonzaga is the best team in the west then why is it that Arizona got the #1 seed in the west.

of course the closet clown fans do their best to put IA down and won't give IA credit. or the players.
What don't you understand about giving your opponent credit? Gonzaga is a good team and so is Iowa. Jesus Christ... you think every effing thing is an attack on Iowa.

You're still alive. That's too bad.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:
Other than Wisconsin, they will be the best team we have played this season.
Hell no.

First of all ISU is much better than Gonzaga when they play their best ball and they certainly did that against Iowa.

Id take UNC, Maryland, MSU and possibly UNI over Gonzaga.

I don't care about their schedule, any team that only loses two games all season cannot be given too much credit. The Hawkeyes had better show up ready to play or we'll be going home. Gonzaga is certainly better than Penn State, Northwestern, and Minnesota, and we all know how our most recent games against those teams went.

"Id take UNC, Maryland, MSU and possibly UNI over Gonzaga."

Thats fine, yet after watching UNI no less than 5 times this season, Gonzaga is UNI on HGH & steroids. If nothing else, trust me on that one.

considering so many on this board tout conference affliation, UNI's conference is ranked well below Gonzaga's.

This post was edited on 3/22 1:48 PM by baldwinzag

I'm definitely nervous for this game. Hope we pull it out but it will be an absolute battle on both sides of the ball. We are going to have to be highly efficient with the rock on offense.

Originally posted by baldwinzag:

Thats fine, yet after watching UNI no less than 5 times this season, Gonzaga is UNI on HGH & steroids. If nothing else, trust me on that one.

considering so many on this board tout conference affliation, UNI's conference is ranked well below Gonzaga's.

Yeah, I think UNC, Maryland, and MSU would probably be good games but I would definitely take the Zags over UNI

Gonzaga is the best shooting team in the nation, 2nd in defensive rebounding, 6th in team assists, etc.... Hawks will need to find a new level of play to win today. Having said that, come March anything can happen and the boys are playing well. A 1, a 2 and two 3s gone already.

Its gonna take some luck as well. So, go get some rum and a bucket of KFC to sacrifice to Jobu and ...GO HAWKS!

Jobu can't hit a curve ball. Let's hope he can hit a fade-away three pointer at the buzzer.

Originally posted by sittingon50:
UCLA lost 1 game at home this yr.

They got run out of Pauley by Gonzaga.

Arizona was 17-0 at home this yr. Their closest game, a 3 pt. OT win vs Gonzaga.

7 days later Michigan visited Tucson & lost by 27.

Those to Pac schools are in the S16.

The WCC is not the Big 10, but GU can play a little.
This post was edited on 3/21 10:54 PM by sittingon50
UCLA was, to quote Charles Barkley, terrible at that point in the year.

I don't even know if UM is in the nit or not.

Who cares if they played a close game with Arizona. They played a close game with NDSU too.

Originally posted by baldwinzag:

You're much better offensively they are much better defensively.

I'd probably give your team the nod. But UNI seems to be more than the sum of their unimpressive parts where as Gonzaga too often seems to be less than the some of their more impressive parts.

Still think they're getting too much credit Retardo Montablan?

You must have been borderline retarded before your stroke as I know what happens to stroke victims personalities post stroke.

Originally posted by goodbyebobby:
Still think they're getting too much credit Retardo Montablan?

You must have been borderline retarded before your stroke as I know what happens to stroke victims personalities post stroke.

Get a grip, man.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT