ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting rules changes are coming to baseball in 2023.

This is just dumb. So dumb.

Can't wait for this to happen on a 3-2 count.
It ended a game Saturday. Right now, the umps should be enforcing the hell out of it because the timing and pace need to become routine. Once it’s routine, violations will be rare and the game will just play at a slightly faster pace.

I've been saying this for years. Deaden the ball making HRs less likely and these guys will stop swinging for the fence and put balls in play.
I do wish they’d stop messing with the balls, but there’s more to it than that. There’s a lot more to the 3 true outcome baseball than just swinging for HRs. Eliminating the shift will help for sure. Pitching has gotten ahead of the hitting overall (pendulum always swings). Without the shift, pitchers will be less able to force hitters to hit into the teeth of the defense, which will open up a lot. It’s easy to say “just go the other way” from home, but it’s really, really hard to go the other way when you’re getting a steady diet of 97 in on your hands and back foot sliders.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
We're comparing a spring training game to a post season game that is packed with pressure. Ok.

Will the PGA come out next with a 40 second clock between strokes. Got to hurry down the fairway and get that shot off before the clock ticks zero!

Yeah, that's a pretty good analogy because golf has course marshalls that keep pace of play moving. They don't have an official clock but if a guy is playing slow they will be "put on the clock". Baseball is the same as the umpire has the authority to keep pace of play moving. They don't need some gimmicky pitch clock.

This is so dumb.

MLB pulling a NASCAR in an effort to gain viewers that will never watch baseball anyway only to piss off a core contingent if their fans. Look what it has done for NASCAR. That is MLBs future.

We're comparing a spring training game to a post season game that is packed with pressure. Ok.

Will the PGA come out next with a 40 second clock between strokes. Got to hurry down the fairway and get that shot off before the clock ticks zero!

Yeah, that's a pretty good analogy because golf has course marshalls that keep pace of play moving. They don't have an official clock but if a guy is playing slow they will be "put on the clock". Baseball is the same as the umpire has the authority to keep pace of play moving. They don't need some gimmicky pitch clock.

This is so dumb.

MLB pulling a NASCAR in an effort to gain viewers that will never watch baseball anyway only to piss off a core contingent if their fans. Look what it has done for NASCAR. That is MLBs future.
Nah, it’s not going to be a huge adjustment. I’ve already noticed an uptick in pace from players who have played most, if not all, of their minor league careers with it. It’s just not a big deal and it’s going to make baseball a slightly better watch. There will still be long games, it’ll just be long games dicrated by on-field action.

No. It will be just like the NFL. Gameplay time speeds up and shortened only to be replaced by more commercials. NFL pulled the same scam with their running clock rule changes.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
I followed baseball for a long time. This is all very sad. None of my kids care. This won't make them.

The pitch clock isn't going to change the 3 outcome stuff.
That's not what the professionals say but good try.

(It's cause they think it will get pitches to rush more therfore make a bad pitch and result in more balls in play)

I've been saying this for years. Deaden the ball making HRs less likely and these guys will stop swinging for the fence and put balls in play.
You don't score runs or make money doing that...so it's unlikely to happen like your 1982 brain thinks

This is so dumb.

Right, going back to how the game was played 40 years ago is too new fangled for the traditionalists.

Rules change over time and baseball is no different. 9 game world series, mound height, dh, interleague, wild card. We heard everything you said for each of them

For like a week until they adjust.
Got it, so a change that will make no change cause players will adjust in a week --- you're words right there -- has you all butt hurt because I guess nothing will change.

Help me make sense of it.

Nothing changes and you hate it?

Got it, so a change that will make no change cause players will adjust in a week --- you're word right there -- has you all butt hurt.

It's not that one rule. It's the pizza box bases.

Also, I want violence. Home plate collisions, runners killing guys on double plays, etc

Then go watch football

Soccer. More soccer. When NBC Sports Chicago ends and the Sox move to another pay thing, I am done.

Like my Iowa season tickets, I can't support the direction of this so I took my money away. Doesn't matter to them I know, but I don't want to be a hypocrite

Soccer. More soccer. When NBC Sports Chicago ends and the Sox move to another pay thing, I am done.

Like my Iowa season tickets, I can't support the direction of this so I took my money away. Doesn't matter to them I know, but I don't want to be a hypocrite
You want more collisions so you go watch soccer?!

Just admit it, you just want to whine about change

You want more collisions so you go watch soccer?!

Just admit it, you just want to whine about change

Soccer has a lot of them. You don't watch it obviously.

Some change is good. I would be all for changing the mound back to 1968 levels

Oh yeah soccer is a bastion of "violence"

valere germain kick to face GIF by beIN SPORTS

I love watching Scherzer pitch but if he found the loophole in week 2 that means we're going to be watching pitchers get set to throw and turn it into a staring contest, there's no purpose.....even one that I don't think was necessary

I love watching Scherzer pitch but if he found the loophole in week 2 that means we're going to be watching pitchers get set to throw and turn it into a staring contest, there's no purpose.....even one that I don't think was necessary
I believe there is a loophole to be exploited in the defensive players getting set. If there is a play where the catcher backs up 1st base, a catcher can slowly jog back to home, and the clock doesn't start right away, giving the pitcher a few extra seconds.

I think the throws to 1st need to be finessed, but I do like the prospect of increased action on the base paths. A lot of my formative memories of baseball were of the go-go teams of the 80s. As the success rate of stealing a base inches upwards, it will become more enticing to steal more. I love action on the base paths.

The changes are here. You don't have to keep whining about them, we know you don't like them.
Changes are here yet the season hasn't even started and they are already reviewing the and discussing clawing them back.

Most people but the hard core fans haven't even been paying attention to the changes yet. Wait until the season starts and there is a whole bunch of "what the F is this?". Wait until we have games being decided by these hokey rules.

I will keep whining about them. I am going keep whining until they stop bastardizing the game. You know what I won't be doing? Watching. I've already cancelled the MLB Package. Unfortunately, I promised my oldest a trip to Wrigley for his 21st this summer. Game should be over in 2:05 which means more time and money spent at Murph's, so that's nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT