ADVERTISEMENT

Some things that amaze me....and other stuff

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Amazing:
First...just how bad B10 officiating is. I know it's a hard job, but man this was terrible. We got hammered on shots, drives, rebounds with no calls.....We actually got a couple of calls that went our way, but I think there were maybe two of five dunks that we didn't get fouled on. Is there a rule that says that if you block a shot clean on the ball, you can still slam into the body without it being a foul?

Connor hitting a HUGE 3 at a very intense stretch of the game....he was 100% from 3.

JBO, just so so on offense but actually playing defense.....

Playing teams that have incredible recruiting (Michigan & Ohio St specifically) for a close loss and a solid win.....when we supposedly have very low rated classes.....and the coach not only doesn't get credit, but normally gets trashed.

How our defense typically is subpar......but on the road, when we really need it, we can play really high level defense for at least a half. I would argue that at Rutgers we played an entire game or really good defense.

Any team, can beat any other team on a given day in the B10....

Officiating actually seems like it gets worse as the year continues.......

We won despite not shooting free throws well.

Other observations.

Rebounding was really good....best rebounding job of the year considering the competition and where it was played?

Is this win better than the win at Virginia?..seems more important but that was a pretty damn good win as well.

Patrick had an off game but has been playing well. Tony P has just been so-so but made a couple really good plays today.
&
Peyton had an off day. Rebraca was so-so....any we still won.

Damn it those two losses at Rutgers and PSU.....wow, how different things would look right now.

Fran plays the guys that he feels are playing the best as much as he can.....Ulis and Joe T were strong contributors today.

Last edited:
Huge win, perry. I've had to leave the house to shoot in a 9-ball pool tourney at about 3 minutes into the 2nd half .... just as the Hawkeyes went on their run for a big double digit lead and I am so pissed I missed it.

Amazing:
First...just how bad B10 officiating is. I know it's a hard job, but man this was terrible. We got hammered on shots, drives, rebounds with no calls.....We actually got a couple of calls that went our way, but I think there were maybe two of five dunks that we didn't get fouled on. Is there a rule that says that if you block a shot clean on the ball, you can still slam into the body without it being a foul?

Connor hitting a HUGE 3 at a very intense stretch of the game....he was 100% from 3.

Playing teams that have incredible recruiting (Michigan & Ohio St specifically) for a close loss and a solid win.....when we supposedly have very low rated classes.....and the coach not only doesn't get credit, but normally gets trashed.

How our defense typically is subpar......but on the road, when we really need it, we can play really high level defense for at least a half. I would argue that at Rutgers we played an entire game or really good defense.

Other observations.

Rebounding was really good....best rebounding job of the year considering the competition and where it was played?

Is this win better than the win at Virginia?..seems more important but that was a pretty damn good win as well.

Patrick had an off game but has been playing well. Tony P has just been so-so but made a couple really good plays today.
&

Damn it those two losses at Rutgers and PSU.....wow, how different things would look right now.

Fran plays that guys that he feels are playing the best as much as he can.....Ulis and Joe T were strong contributors today.
Very true. But, on the other hand, OSU's FT made % was even worse than Iowa's today.

OSU was also just something like 2-11 from deep today. That won't ever hurt the opposition's chances of pulling off the win.

Ohio State fans believe the officiating was very one sided against them. Their game thread is a fun read.

Some of my favorites.

PhillyNut 4 HOURS AGO
My starting five most punchable Big Ten players - Bohannon, McCaffrey, Davison, Dickenson, and Mulcahy

AlltimeTE 4 HOURS AGO
Murray gets away with mugging people

Actionstanleyjackson 3 HOURS AGO
Iowa gets the soft calls. OSU loses a limb and nothing

TheSpiteHouse 3 HOURS AGO
Yeah, completely phantom foul on Key followed by bailing out Bohannon for initiating contact.

Va_buck 3 HOURS AGO
seems like the refs know Iowa needs a quad 1 win as well as the announcers.

Huge win, perry. I've had to leave the house to shoot in a 9-ball pool tourney at about 3 minutes into the 2nd half .... just as the Hawkeyes went on their run for a big double digit lead and I am so pissed I missed it.
Oh man, sorry you missed it. The Hawks didn’t seem to be getting any breaks with the officials, but were still able to scratch out a win. The Buckeyes had trouble with the 3 ball all day. The Murray twins took it to the rack consistently in the 2nd half and the tenacious rebounding helped cue up a big road win!

Amazing:

Other observations.

&

Fran plays that guys that he feels are playing the best as much as he can.....Ulis and Joe T were strong contributors today.
How do you have an off day when you play all of one minute?

Oh man, sorry you missed it. The Hawks didn’t seem to be getting any breaks with the officials, but were still able to scratch out a win. The Buckeyes had trouble with the 3 ball all day. The Murray twins took it to the rack consistently in the 2nd half and the tenacious rebounding helped cue up a big road win!
It was a good team win. OH State really blanketed Keegan in the 2nd half. As I noted, the rest of the team would have to pull out the game. And they did!

Reactions: perryhawk
Some of my favorites.

PhillyNut 4 HOURS AGO
My starting five most punchable Big Ten players - Bohannon, McCaffrey, Davison, Dickenson, and Mulcahy

AlltimeTE 4 HOURS AGO

Yeah, completely phantom foul on Key followed by bailing out Bohannon for initiating contact.

Va_buck 3 HOURS AGO
kitty-forman-debra-jo-rupp.gif

Good analysis. High five to Kris, who had 8 rebs, 11 pts, 2 ast, a block, hit both of his fts, and had two stls. 40-31 in total rebs in our favor, and 20-12 offensive rebs also in our favor. I believe you nailed it. :)

Amazing:

Other observations.

&

I am amazed with Keegans hang time

Last edited:
Reactions: NevadaHawk
Both teams shot 21 free throws. Iowa was whistled for 20 fouls; Ohio State 17.

I voiced disagreement about the bailout call on the JBo 3. I also shook my head during a stretch of the game where Ohio State was getting away with mugs on Murray while Iowa got whistled for three ticky tack fouls in a row. The bottom line is B1G Ten officiating is so incompetent and inconsistent that it negatively affects both teams. And as much money as the NCAA makes, they need to pay officials six-figures and have them train year round. It’s become comical how bad they are.

Both teams shot 21 free throws. Iowa was whistled for 20 fouls; Ohio State 17.

I voiced disagreement about the bailout call on the JBo 3. I also shook my head during a stretch of the game where Ohio State was getting away with mugs on Murray while Iowa got whistled for three ticky tack fouls in a row. The bottom line is B1G Ten officiating is so incompetent and inconsistent that it negatively affects both teams. And as much money as the NCAA makes, they need to pay officials six-figures and have them train year round. It’s become comical how bad they are.
I agree wheeler just should have backed off and make jabo hit the shot

That was an extremely entertaining read, ty. Could have been an Iowa thread from Michigan. My favorite was:

PhillyNut's picture's picture
PhillyNut
4 HOURS AGO
Ohio State has some of the most arrogant fans on the planet. It seems about every time they have a home football game in which Ohio State just happenes to lose (pretty rare) there’s a clip of a bunch of grown men in the stands holding each other sobbing. I mean, JFC, how pathetic do you have to be to bawl over losing a football game you aren’t even involved in playing? As far as I’m concerned, a lot of their sorry ass pussy fans can be lined up with JBo and Davison for the punch-to-the-face line. The majority of them would deserve it.

Reactions: F5n5
Amazing:

Other observations.

&

Another good post, Perry. I have been thinking the same re how we don’t get the 5 star players, and on any given night, can beat the best of them. In general though, the good but not great rosters may explain why we haven’t won a B1G title for a long time, or gotten past the first weekend of the dance. Do you agree? As for coaching, I think our fans have been unkind to Fran and his boys. He’s winning almost 60% of his games and 50% of B1G’s. That’s not bad! Coaches with the best recruits, e.g., Duke, Kansas, Arizona (under Lute), Mich St, are in the 70% range!

How do you have an off day when you play all of one minute?
First let me say that I’m a huge PS fan….I wish he was playing more minutes. I think he’s been a VERY impressive freshman and his future is very very bright……so, hate to even say anything negative….but in the very short time he was in the game he had an unforced turnover and missed a shot. Then never got back in to change those stats. That’s not his normal high quality play.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
First let me say that I’m a huge PS fan….I wish he was playing more minutes. I think he’s been a VERY impressive freshman and his future is very very bright……so, hate to even say anything negative….but in the very short time he was in the game he had an unforced turnover and missed a shot. Then never got back in to change those stats. That’s not his normal high quality play.
I love PS as well but I think Fran picked up on freshman nerves IMO

Regarding Payton, I think he has been reading the posts about him. He has a quick release, etc. Seems like now he tries to shoot quickly, even when he has another split second to get set. I would put him almost as good as Jbo given uncontested shots, but he is rushing shots right now, I think.

Amazing:

Other observations.

&

Fran plays the guys that he feels are playing the best as much as he can.....Ulis and Joe T were strong contributors today.
OSU is pretty mediocre it seems, the refs can only take them so far lol.

Nice to finally get a road win vs the refs! The got us good at ru and pu
That Liddel shoulda fouled out with tons of time left.

Reactions: BDJHawk
Amazing:

Other observations.

&

the 4 point home loss to Illinois where the Illini had a PLUS 29 rebounding margin (52-23) and 24 second chance points is another game I'd like to have back; the Illini had 19 offensive rebounds in that game as well

heck, people are hoping we finish the regular season at 20 wins; we could be at 21 wins NOW

the 4 point home loss to Illinois where the Illini had a PLUS 29 rebounding margin (52-23) and 24 second chance points is another game I'd like to have back; the Illini had 19 offensive rebounds in that game as well

heck, people are hoping we finish the regular season at 20 wins; we could be at 21 wins NOW
No diff than the pu and ru screw jobs

Some of my favorites.

PhillyNut 4 HOURS AGO

AlltimeTE 4 HOURS AGO

Va_buck 3 HOURS AGO

To everyone in that thread:

giphy.gif

Who is hoping for 20 wins???

Regarding Payton, I think he has been reading the posts about him. He has a quick release, etc. Seems like now he tries to shoot quickly, even when he has another split second to get set. I would put him almost as good as Jbo given uncontested shots, but he is rushing shots right now, I think.
Yeah, theres quick release and then there's rushing.

Sandfort has been rushing the last two games.

Whoever had the scout for OSU must have observed their rebounding issues & said we needed to hit the offensive glass.

Great job by the coaches and great job by the players.

See, rebounding and possessing the basketball can be not only fun but just might win you some close games!

Bill covers Ohio State for the Athletic.

Hawks played harder than OSU. Iowa is 15-0 when they get more boards. Kris was incredibly active, as was Ulis.

Don't know what to say about the officiating. It has SUCKED in the B1G for decades. There was definitely a stretch of 3-4 minutes where OSU got away with a mugging on drives, but Iowa got called for some ticky tac fouls. Still, OSU couldn't catch up. The Wheeler foul on JBo was legit. You can't hit the shooter's arm on a shot, even if the shooter intentionally put his arm into the defender. Wheeler is usually smarter than that. There was maybe one block by Liddell where he didn't bang the Iowa player with his body, although he blocked the ball. Sadly, I have seen even worse over the years. Give me crew with the tall bald head official (Carstenson sp?) every time, and I would be happy. Not too many other quality crews in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT