ADVERTISEMENT

Some things that amaze me....and other stuff

It was a good team win. OH State really blanketed Keegan in the 2nd half. As I noted, the rest of the team would have to pull out the game. And they did!
Credit needs to be handed out where it's due. Team got off the mat after the loss to Michigan and really competed. Keegan put the team on his back to get the game back close after the initial OSU burst. Rest of the team picked up the slack in the second half. So much of the margin between winning and losing is in the effort, 50/50 balls, etc. No way I would have thought Iowa was capable of holding OSU to 24 points in the second half of that game. The team did and deserves full credit.

Now just go pile up some more wins, get greedy and get a better seed line.

Amazing:
First...just how bad B10 officiating is. I know it's a hard job, but man this was terrible. We got hammered on shots, drives, rebounds with no calls.....We actually got a couple of calls that went our way, but I think there were maybe two of five dunks that we didn't get fouled on. Is there a rule that says that if you block a shot clean on the ball, you can still slam into the body without it being a foul?

Connor hitting a HUGE 3 at a very intense stretch of the game....he was 100% from 3.

JBO, just so so on offense but actually playing defense.....

Playing teams that have incredible recruiting (Michigan & Ohio St specifically) for a close loss and a solid win.....when we supposedly have very low rated classes.....and the coach not only doesn't get credit, but normally gets trashed.

How our defense typically is subpar......but on the road, when we really need it, we can play really high level defense for at least a half. I would argue that at Rutgers we played an entire game or really good defense.

Any team, can beat any other team on a given day in the B10....

Officiating actually seems like it gets worse as the year continues.......

We won despite not shooting free throws well.

Other observations.

Rebounding was really good....best rebounding job of the year considering the competition and where it was played?

Is this win better than the win at Virginia?..seems more important but that was a pretty damn good win as well.

Patrick had an off game but has been playing well. Tony P has just been so-so but made a couple really good plays today.
&
Peyton had an off day. Rebraca was so-so....any we still won.

Damn it those two losses at Rutgers and PSU.....wow, how different things would look right now.

Fran plays the guys that he feels are playing the best as much as he can.....Ulis and Joe T were strong contributors today.
No mention of Keegan or Kris, must not have had very important roles in the game, yet, high praise for Connor and his 3 points

Great road win, particularly against a team that has not lost at home. Maybe they learned that they need to play hard all game.

Nice to out rebound the other team, Kris not being in fouls trouble and getting minutes will help in that regard.

Oddly, I got to spend an hour talking to Paul Mulcahy on Thursday evening. Such a nice, tall, young man.

j5hCqxy.jpg
My buddies kid played with Paul growing up and says he’s a great kid.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Ive been critical of Fran’s distribution of minutes this season. Yesterday, I thought the distribution of playing time was his best yet this year. Although, I’m assuming much of it was due to OSU not having a true big man. I hope to see similar distribution of minutes moving forward as it gives Iowa the best offense/defense combo.

Last edited:
Huge win, perry. I've had to leave the house to shoot in a 9-ball pool tourney at about 3 minutes into the 2nd half .... just as the Hawkeyes went on their run for a big double digit lead and I am so pissed I missed it.
200.gif

No mention of Keegan or Kris, must not have had very important roles in the game, yet, high praise for Connor and his 3 points

Great road win, particularly against a team that has not lost at home. Maybe they learned that they need to play hard all game.

Nice to out rebound the other team, Kris not being in fouls trouble and getting minutes will help in that regard.
You will note that the comment about Connor was under what “amazed” me….

The Murray’s are just outstanding….high level play from them isn’t amazing, it’s pretty much a given…..like Luka last year.

You will note that the comment about Connor was under what “amazed” me….

The Murray’s are just outstanding….high level play from them isn’t amazing, it’s pretty much a given…..like Luka last year.
Scoring 3 points is amazing? I understand you are a defender of it, just interesting

Agree that the Murray's are amazing, glad they decided to come to Iowa

Some of my favorites.

PhillyNut 4 HOURS AGO
My starting five most punchable Big Ten players - Bohannon, McCaffrey, Davison, Dickenson, and Mulcahy

AlltimeTE 4 HOURS AGO
Murray gets away with mugging people

Actionstanleyjackson 3 HOURS AGO
Iowa gets the soft calls. OSU loses a limb and nothing

TheSpiteHouse 3 HOURS AGO
Yeah, completely phantom foul on Key followed by bailing out Bohannon for initiating contact.

Va_buck 3 HOURS AGO
seems like the refs know Iowa needs a quad 1 win as well as the announcers.
If you are going to make that most punchable face lineup you have to call out the greatness of Davison. I mean just saying he's a starter on that team does him no justice. The term GOAT is overused but definitely applies in this case.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Scoring 3 points is amazing? I understand you are a defender of it, just interesting

I guess I thought the reasoning on the Connor statement was obvious. You might have missed the FACT that his 3 point shooting this year has been pretty bad? You might recall that teams back off of him and dare him to shoot while packing guys in on our better shooters? Comments have been made about Iowa having to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end of the floor?

Consequently when a low percentage 3 point shooter confidently shoots and drills a 3 during a very intense part of the game….I find that amazing.

The fact that you are overly sensitive to that comment makes me wonder if you are a McC hater or have some weird emotional belief that it’s a Murray v Connor thing?

Connor has a place on this team and adds some value. I just don't want him having more than 20 minutes a game. I think 10-15 would be perfect.

Consequently when a low percentage 3 point shooter confidently shoots and drills a 3 during a very intense part of the game….I find that amazing.
Agree. Liddell had just hit a 3 at 2:39 left, making the score 68-62, and Connor hit his 3 with about 1:42 remaining after the Hawks got 2 offensive rebounds. Had he missed, OSU could have come down and gotten a quick score. Instead, the lead went to 9 instead of staying at 6 with OSU having possession. That 3 by Connor was big IMO.

Scoring 3 points is amazing?
For a player not known for making 3 pt shots, not only hoisting it with 1 second remaining on the shot clock and making it in that situation, is, to me, amazing, and well received. Gus Johnson: "Connor McCaffery, big time jumper!"

Agree. Liddell had just hit a 3 at 2:39 left, making the score 68-62, and Connor hit his 3 with about 1:42 remaining after the Hawks got 2 offensive rebounds. Had he missed, OSU could have come down and gotten a quick score. Instead, the lead went to 9 instead of staying at 6 with OSU having possession. That 3 by Connor was big IMO.

For a player not known for making 3 pt shots, not only hoisting it with 1 second remaining on the shot clock and making it in that situation, is, to me, amazing, and well received. Gus Johnson: "Connor McCaffery, big time jumper!"
Let's call it what it was, a prayer as the shot clock was ending and had to heave it up and it went in. Fortunate is the word. The Hawks rebounded and played some D and the Murray Boy's took care of the rest. Good win.

We are amazed that a guard that played 21 minutes in a Big 10 game can make a 3 pointer?

Reactions: 24 so far

Let's call it what it was, a prayer as the shot clock was ending and had to heave it up and it went in. Fortunate is the word. The Hawks rebounded and played some D and the Murray Boy's took care of the rest. Good win.

We are amazed that a guard that played 21 minutes in a Big 10 game can make a 3 pointer?

It was a big shot in a big moment after Ohio State had cut the lead to 6. I wouldn’t call it a prayer, he shot it in rhythm, not off balance.

Its amazing we just can’t give a guy props for making a big shot when we needed it. Game was effectively over after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT