ADVERTISEMENT

Some white evangelicals are difficult to recognize as Christians at all

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

By Michael Gerson
Columnist
August 15 at 5:04 PM

I have a confession to make. I am one of the five remaining Americans who is uncomfortable with vulgarity, put off by profanity and offended by blasphemy. Swearing is now generally taken as a sign of authenticity; it is more often the expression of anger and aggression. I don’t think political discourse is improved by language more appropriate to a bar fight. I do think the presidency is diminished by public scatology and sacrilege. And I really don’t give a darn whether you think this is old-fashioned.

So I probably had more sympathy than most for West Virginia state Sen. Paul Hardesty and his upset constituents. After a recent speech by President Trump, Hardesty — who is a conservative, pro-Trump Democrat — received phone calls from Christians complaining of the president’s use of the term “goddamn.” In a letter to Trump, Hardesty pronounced himself “appalled by the fact that you chose to use the Lord’s name in vain on two separate occasions.”

This is hardly a national groundswell for decorum. But I don’t want to be dismissive of people revolted by the steaming, stinking cesspool of Trump’s public rhetoric. The problem is one of proportion.

ADVERTISING
During an interview with Politico, Hardesty admitted that evangelicals Christians had been willing to overlook many of the president’s character flaws, but he ventured that on the matter of blasphemy, Trump’s “evangelical base might be far less forgiving.”

Consider this statement in the light of some recent developments:

●The Trump administration seems intent on sending to Congress a more than $4 billion package of budget cuts focused on diplomacy and foreign-assistance spending. These proposed reductions would likely affect efforts to fight the spread of Ebola, programs to encourage food security and nutrition across Africa, aid to countries taking the brunt of the refugee crisis, and democracy support in Venezuela, Ukraine and Tibet.

●The president continues to vilify refugees as national security threats without the slightest bit of evidence. This year, the Trump administration capped the number of refugees who can resettle in the United States at 30,000 — the lowest ceiling since the refugee program was created in 1980. And the administration is now considering cutting that number to nearly zero next year.

●Along the southern border, the Trump administration has tightened the rules on asylum, making it more difficult for applicants to seek protection when family members face threats, and barring migrants seeking asylum if they passed through a third country while making their trek. The administration’s policy of family separation, its abusive treatment of migrants, its policy confusion and its general incompetence have contributed to a humanitarian crisis on both sides of the border.

There is an obvious response to Hardesty and other offended evangelical Christians. Massive budget cuts to hunger-relief programs in Africa, refusing to take in desperate Syrian refugees and separating crying children from their parents at the border are tolerable, but using the Lord’s name in vain is a bridge too far? Pathological lying, spreading conspiracy theories, misogyny, making racist comments and dehumanizing others are permissible, but swearing somehow crosses the line?

How we order our outrage says much about us. Do we feel the violation of a religious rule more intensely than the violation of human dignity? Do we prioritize our religiosity above our anthropology — above our theory of human beings and their rights?

This kind of Pharisaical preference for rules over humans reveals a large gap of spiritual education. In a poll conducted last year by the Pew Research Center, only 25 percent of white evangelical Christians said the United States has a responsibility to accept refugees, while 65 percent of those not affiliated with a religion affirmed that duty. What could possibility explain this 40-percentage-point gap in inclusion and compassion? For a certain kind of secularist, this reveals cruelty, corruption and hypocrisy at the heart of the Christian faith. But traditionally, many of the institutions that do refugee resettlement have been Christian.

The problem does not lie in Christianity but in the moral formation of Christians. Are they getting their view of refugees from Christian sources? Or are they taking their view from Fox News, talk radio and Trump? I suspect the latter. And the worship of political idols is ultimately a spiritual problem — a different kind of blasphemy.

These challenges run deeper than politics. Many white evangelical Christians hold a faith that appeals to the comfortable rather than siding with the afflicted. They have allied themselves with bigots and nativists, risking the reputation of the gospel itself. And, in some very public ways, they are difficult to recognize as Christians at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a0c2e2-bf91-11e9-a5c6-1e74f7ec4a93_story.html

Evangelical Christians are located in places like Liberty
University under the leadership of Jerry Falwell Jr.
They do not represent the majority of Christian parishes
who demonstrate love to all races in America.

I agree with Lutehawk’s premise. However, while many evangelical Christians devoutly fight racism and have heroically fought HIV in Africa and poverty worldwide. Domestically, there is no question that evangelical Christianity is latched to the GOP and churches have pushed members to vote for candidates that don’t necessarily represent the best interests of their constituents.

By Michael Gerson
Columnist
August 15 at 5:04 PM

I have a confession to make. I am one of the five remaining Americans who is uncomfortable with vulgarity, put off by profanity and offended by blasphemy. Swearing is now generally taken as a sign of authenticity; it is more often the expression of anger and aggression. I don’t think political discourse is improved by language more appropriate to a bar fight. I do think the presidency is diminished by public scatology and sacrilege. And I really don’t give a darn whether you think this is old-fashioned.

So I probably had more sympathy than most for West Virginia state Sen. Paul Hardesty and his upset constituents. After a recent speech by President Trump, Hardesty — who is a conservative, pro-Trump Democrat — received phone calls from Christians complaining of the president’s use of the term “goddamn.” In a letter to Trump, Hardesty pronounced himself “appalled by the fact that you chose to use the Lord’s name in vain on two separate occasions.”

This is hardly a national groundswell for decorum. But I don’t want to be dismissive of people revolted by the steaming, stinking cesspool of Trump’s public rhetoric. The problem is one of proportion.

ADVERTISING
During an interview with Politico, Hardesty admitted that evangelicals Christians had been willing to overlook many of the president’s character flaws, but he ventured that on the matter of blasphemy, Trump’s “evangelical base might be far less forgiving.”

Consider this statement in the light of some recent developments:

●The Trump administration seems intent on sending to Congress a more than $4 billion package of budget cuts focused on diplomacy and foreign-assistance spending. These proposed reductions would likely affect efforts to fight the spread of Ebola, programs to encourage food security and nutrition across Africa, aid to countries taking the brunt of the refugee crisis, and democracy support in Venezuela, Ukraine and Tibet.

●The president continues to vilify refugees as national security threats without the slightest bit of evidence. This year, the Trump administration capped the number of refugees who can resettle in the United States at 30,000 — the lowest ceiling since the refugee program was created in 1980. And the administration is now considering cutting that number to nearly zero next year.

●Along the southern border, the Trump administration has tightened the rules on asylum, making it more difficult for applicants to seek protection when family members face threats, and barring migrants seeking asylum if they passed through a third country while making their trek. The administration’s policy of family separation, its abusive treatment of migrants, its policy confusion and its general incompetence have contributed to a humanitarian crisis on both sides of the border.

There is an obvious response to Hardesty and other offended evangelical Christians. Massive budget cuts to hunger-relief programs in Africa, refusing to take in desperate Syrian refugees and separating crying children from their parents at the border are tolerable, but using the Lord’s name in vain is a bridge too far? Pathological lying, spreading conspiracy theories, misogyny, making racist comments and dehumanizing others are permissible, but swearing somehow crosses the line?

How we order our outrage says much about us. Do we feel the violation of a religious rule more intensely than the violation of human dignity? Do we prioritize our religiosity above our anthropology — above our theory of human beings and their rights?

This kind of Pharisaical preference for rules over humans reveals a large gap of spiritual education. In a poll conducted last year by the Pew Research Center, only 25 percent of white evangelical Christians said the United States has a responsibility to accept refugees, while 65 percent of those not affiliated with a religion affirmed that duty. What could possibility explain this 40-percentage-point gap in inclusion and compassion? For a certain kind of secularist, this reveals cruelty, corruption and hypocrisy at the heart of the Christian faith. But traditionally, many of the institutions that do refugee resettlement have been Christian.

The problem does not lie in Christianity but in the moral formation of Christians. Are they getting their view of refugees from Christian sources? Or are they taking their view from Fox News, talk radio and Trump? I suspect the latter. And the worship of political idols is ultimately a spiritual problem — a different kind of blasphemy.

These challenges run deeper than politics. Many white evangelical Christians hold a faith that appeals to the comfortable rather than siding with the afflicted. They have allied themselves with bigots and nativists, risking the reputation of the gospel itself. And, in some very public ways, they are difficult to recognize as Christians at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...a0c2e2-bf91-11e9-a5c6-1e74f7ec4a93_story.html

The fact many evangelicals have overlooked or rationalized a lot of Trump's bad behaviors but have become incensed by him using "goddamn" is irrefutable proof they place style ahead of substance.

And frankly, I don't give a good goddamn because they're still going to vote for the goddamn SOB, so those evangelicals who are offended can eat a goddamn dick for all I care.

Was that too pejorative? I'd hate to make someone's ignore list.:rolleyes:

You don’t make great case for your movement Lutehawk.
Evangelical Christians are located in places like Liberty
University under the leadership of Jerry Falwell Jr.
They do not represent the majority of Christian parishes
who demonstrate love to all races in America.

There are plenty of strict Roman Catholic members
who vote against any candidate who favors abortion.

There are some strict Lutheran members who vote
against any candidate who favors same-sex marriage.

Many strict Protestants vote their conscience and
have no particular political party they support.

I'd say that's pretty accurately stated by Lute. What do you object to?
I was pointing out the fact that there are evangelicals who fight racism and have done excellent work in Africa against the spread of HIV. My point wasn’t about abortion, but that Evangelicals have been hypocrites domestically about race and support a anti-clerical Trump agenda.

I was pointing out the fact that there are evangelicals who fight racism and have done excellent work in Africa against the spread of HIV. My point wasn’t about abortion, but that Evangelicals have been hypocrites domestically about race and support a anti-clerical Trump agenda.

Oh, lol, yeah, the hypocrisy is a no-brainer.

There are plenty of strict Roman Catholic members
who vote against any candidate who favors abortion.

There are some strict Lutheran members who vote
against any candidate who favors same-sex marriage.

Many strict Protestants vote their conscience and
have no particular political party they support.

Pro-Choice does not mean or equate to Pro-Abortion or 'favors abortion'.

Evangelicals and others who pick and choose which of the ten amendments to follow display the height of hypocrisy. They have no moral standing and deserve to be called out.

Evangelicals and others who pick and choose which of the ten amendments to follow display the height of hypocrisy. They have no moral standing and deserve to be called out.

You mean Commandments?

Although, on further thought, amendments works too. They like to ignore parts of the Bill of Rights they don't like as well.

Ben Howe's new book, The Immoral Majority, looks really interesting. There is a lot of moral flexibility to the movement, and Howe seems to have some very good ideas about how evangelicals convince themselves that the trade offs they have made are justified, and that they do seem to enjoy power. Which isn't really too moral.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Here are the results from the Pew Research Center
poll in early 2019 concerning support for same-sex
marriage in America.

White Mainline Protestants: 66% support it.
Roman Catholics: 61% support it.
White Evangelicals: 29% support it.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT