ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody explain how this capital gains tax is a good idea...

Read the proposal, will not affect middle class folks as currently proposed . . .

Yeah, just like when the income tax was first introduced in 1862 that levied a 3 percent tax on incomes between $600 ($18,554 today) and $10,000 ($309,239 today) and a 5 percent tax on incomes of more than $10,000 ($309,239 today). Look how that has creeped over time.

You actually trust these changes to capital gains taxes, or worse, a wealth tax to only impact the wealthy?

So this is when I need one of the super smart libs to explain how this is a great idea.

As someone who comes from nothing and has acquired some, this seems like a great way for me to not be able to afford shit I've already bought.
I am not a super smart lib and I am not familiar with Biden's plan, but taxing dividends and capital gains at the same rate as your other income is logical. If your marginal tax rate is 44%, then that should apply to all forms of income. I am not saying it should be 44%, but if all of one's income was taxed the same, that is at least facially fair in my book. I will leave it to someone smarter or better versed in the area to tell me why I'm wrong.

My understanding is Biden wants to increase the shit out of the capital gains tax. Up to 44%. Seems to me like the only people that ate going to have anything left are the people with big enough pockets to wade that and buy more.

What about a 44% capital gains tax is a good idea?

Also, I know very little about this, so I could be wrong, it also appears he wants to tax gains that have not even been recieved but COULD be. Is that right?
It's a way to tax the wealthy that avoid paying taxes. They are only paying 0-20% cap gains rate (and only 20% if the gains are over $500K+. I know you are trying to see this through a GOP viewpoint, but I'm guessing this change in cap gains tax won't affect you in the least and will probably help you on your taxes by reducing your overall contribution.

I think they should leave cap gains as they are for those 65 and over if they are bringing in less than $200K/year. I'm not a fan on cap gains on unrealized money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hendy hawk
It ought to be treated as “income” and it is not….it is given the second lowest tax rate because it is “special”………Special only because the rich and wealthy have the means to access this type of income for the most part.
Do you believe LTGC should remain 0% for filers at 12% marginal tax rate?

I need more time with the proposal and the impacts to make a decision on it (although from purely a headline perspective it seems a little nuts). That said, I am all for some adjustments being made to how capital gains are handled. The pendulum has swung a bit too far to the “rich” and could use some review.

Yeah, just like when the income tax was first introduced in 1862 that levied a 3 percent tax on incomes between $600 ($18,554 today) and $10,000 ($309,239 today) and a 5 percent tax on incomes of more than $10,000 ($309,239 today). Look how that has creeped over time.

You actually trust these changes to capital gains taxes, or worse, a wealth tax to only impact the wealthy?
There is also a lot more services and infrastructure than in 1862.

Reactions: gohawks50

At some point there will have to be additional taxes. We cant get out of this debt with just cutting of spending. Increased tax rates will have to occur. What increases occur is up for debate, and this is only a proposal that I doubt passes. I currently have a lot of unrealized long term capital gains and would hope it stays as is personally but would be willing to maneuver or pay it if need be.

this isn't being introduced...we already have capital gains taxes

the question is what the tax rate should be

should we tax income from capital gains at half the rate we tax income from labor?

Taken as a whole, then, the 44.6% rate would only come to fruition under a separate proposal from the Biden administration’s main capital gains rate increase, and only apply to those individuals with taxable income above $1 million and investment income above $400,000. That isn’t quite as cataclysmic a policy shift as referring to a blanket 44.6% long-term capital gains rate would suggest.

Reactions: Moral
Do this and then also allow the Trump tax cuts to expire,.. Great campaign planning,.. Biden might as well just stick a gun in his mouth...

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Do this and then also allow the Trump tax cuts to expire,.. Great campaign planning,.. Biden might as well just stick a gun in his mouth...
And if he did something that voters largely approved of, you would just say that he is pandering to voters and trying to buy their votes. It doesn’t matter what he does or doesn’t do, you’ll find a way to criticize him for it.

It ought to be treated as “income” and it is not….it is given the second lowest tax rate because it is “special”………Special only because the rich and wealthy have the means to access this type of income for the most part.
It’s treated as income.

You like all lefties have been brain washed. The reason capital gains is taxed at a lower rate is because to get people to invest in potentially risking stocks and other investments, there needs to be an incentive. What incentive would there be to buy stocks that might lose value, if I don't gain a thing if they do well? The left loves to claim the only people who benefit from lower taxes is the rich, that's insane.

You like all lefties have been brain washed. The reason capital gains is taxed at a lower rate is because to get people to invest in potentially risking stocks and other investments, there needs to be an incentive. What incentive would there be to buy stocks that might lose value, if I don't gain a thing if they do well? The left loves to claim the only people who benefit from lower taxes is the rich, that's insane.
Find…but when @xasged in” it should ge taxes as income at tge established rates…I don’t get that “break” with my stock purchases fir retirement…when I cash in, Ipay taxes at regular rates. It’s a grossly unfair advantage for folks who don’t really need a break.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
It's a way to tax the wealthy that avoid paying taxes. They are only paying 0-20% cap gains rate (and only 20% if the gains are over $500K+. I know you are trying to see this through a GOP viewpoint, but I'm guessing this change in cap gains tax won't affect you in the least and will probably help you on your taxes by reducing your overall contribution.

I think they should leave cap gains as they are for those 65 and over if they are bringing in less than $200K/year. I'm not a fan on cap gains on unrealized money.
Also, the 3.8% obama tax on net investment income

Find…but when @xasged in” it should ge taxes as income at tge established rates…I don’t get that “break” with my stock purchases fir retirement…when I cash in, Ipay taxes at regular rates. It’s a grossly unfair advantage for folks who don’t really need a break.
You may need to sit down with someone who understands finances, so you can reduce your tax liability.

Also, qualified dividends have already been taxed at the corporate level, so there is a good argument that qualified dividends should be tax-free to the investor.

And if he did something that voters largely approved of, you would just say that he is pandering to voters and trying to buy their votes. It doesn’t matter what he does or doesn’t do, you’ll find a way to criticize him for it.
Just curious, what do you consider as one of the “crowning achievements” of the Biden Administration?

I am not a super smart lib and I am not familiar with Biden's plan, but taxing dividends and capital gains at the same rate as your other income is logical. If your marginal tax rate is 44%, then that should apply to all forms of income. I am not saying it should be 44%, but if all of one's income was taxed the same, that is at least facially fair in my book. I will leave it to someone smarter or better versed in the area to tell me why I'm wrong.
Because such a large capital gains tax would significantly cut the level of capital in this country. Thereby, lowering the amount of investment in small companies, which in turn, would reduce employment opportunities for lower/middie/class individuals. That’s a simplistic overview, but summarizes why such a large increase in capital gains tax would be detrimental to the economy.

Capital gains is not income. It’s a capital gain that someone took a risk on for said gain. It is treated as a special tax because of this and for the fact it is beneficial for the us economy and the US government. It is taxed this way to drive further capital investment. It is not income.

As far as dividends go. Ordinary dividends, like interest, have always been taxed as ordinary income and likely always will be. Qualified dividends however are taxed as a capital gain because they are already fully taxed to the company paying the dividend. Frankly, they probably shouldn’t be taxed to the investor at all. If you want to start allowing the companies to deduct the dividend, tax away.

Then you are doing it all wrong.

Reactions: AreWeCross
You may need to sit down with someone who understands finances, so you can reduce your tax liability.

Also, qualified dividends have already been taxed at the corporate level, so there is a good argument that qualified dividends should be tax-free to the investor.
Wrong.

My understanding is Biden wants to increase the shit out of the capital gains tax. Up to 44%. Seems to me like the only people that ate going to have anything left are the people with big enough pockets to wade that and buy more.

What about a 44% capital gains tax is a good idea?

Also, I know very little about this, so I could be wrong, it also appears he wants to tax gains that have not even been recieved but COULD be. Is that right?
Yeah he's going the opposite direction. Should eliminate capital gains tax, and have it paid as income tax. Income is income. Prop up ss and Medicare that way as well.

I think his Estate Tax would be an issue for Iowan's that own farm land. He wants to move the estate tax back to 2009 levels of $3.5 million. I think that would force a lot of farmers into selling family farms because they wouldn't be able to afford the taxes. It wouldn't effect me but I hear my in-laws complaining about it.

I think his Estate Tax would be an issue for Iowan's that own farm land. He wants to move the estate tax back to 2009 levels of $3.5 million. I think that would force a lot of farmers into selling family farms because they wouldn't be able to afford the taxes. It wouldn't effect me but I hear my in-laws complaining about it.
The estate tax needs to go away. The step up in basis also needs to go away. For all estates. If you inherit farmland you never have to sell. But if you sell you have to pay capital gains taxes. I don’t understand why this isn’t the most fair way of doing this.

Because such a large capital gains tax would significantly cut the level of capital in this country. Thereby, lowering the amount of investment in small companies, which in turn, would reduce employment opportunities for lower/middie/class individuals. That’s a simplistic overview, but summarizes why such a large increase in capital gains tax would be detrimental to the economy.
People invest in things like businesses and the stock market in order to make more money. There is a significantly higher return from those investments. That higher return would still be there.

I think I read that the mean, maybe mean, average return over the past 5 years is something like 15%. Are you arguing that people will forgo investing if there is a say 25% increase in capital gains taxes?

Because the income is still income. You took the chance on make the wager and it didn’t pay off. They have nothing to do with each other.
The net “income is still income” has dropped with losses.

This is honestly one of the dumbest takes I’ve heard regarding income taxes.

The estate tax needs to go away. The step up in basis also needs to go away. For all estates. If you inherit farmland you never have to sell. But if you sell you have to pay capital gains taxes. I don’t understand why this isn’t the most fair way of doing this.

Now this I can agree with. There should be no step up in cost basis for inheritance.

At some point there will have to be additional taxes. We cant get out of this debt with just cutting of spending. Increased tax rates will have to occur. What increases occur is up for debate, and this is only a proposal that I doubt passes. I currently have a lot of unrealized long term capital gains and would hope it stays as is personally but would be willing to maneuver or pay it if need be.
The debt can't be paid off. What our government is doing is unsustainable. And it's pretty sad that you have fallen for the narrative that the taxpayer should be bent over even harder to make a show of trying to offset the government's irresponsible and inefficient spending. The debt is greater than the GNP. For reference, these are old numbers, the debt is even larger now, and growing by a trillion every hundred days.....it's 22% higher than the U.S. gross national product. It's six times the U.S. debt figure in 2000 ($5.6 trillion). Paid back interest-free at the rate of $1 million an hour, $33 trillion would take more than 3,750 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT