ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody explain how this capital gains tax is a good idea...

Don’t understand the question
My understanding is Biden wants to increase the shit out of the capital gains tax. Up to 44%. Seems to me like the only people that ate going to have anything left are the people with big enough pockets to wade that and buy more.

What about a 44% capital gains tax is a good idea?

Also, I know very little about this, so I could be wrong, it also appears he wants to tax gains that have not even been recieved but COULD be. Is that right?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
What am I missing here? This seems like an incredibly stupid idea where the only people are can afford to have ahit are exorbitantly wealthy.
It's incredibly bad, and very short sighted, and would harm everyone, not just the "rich". Any tax scheme that requires divesting assets to pay tax bills puts downward pressure on equity markets, which will kill IRA's and 401K's.

The part where unrealized gains will be taxed is likely unconstitutional, and we'll know that for sure at the end of the current SCOTUS term.

It's incredibly bad, and very short sighted, and would harm everyone, not just the "rich". Any tax scheme that requires divesting assets to pay tax bills puts downward pressure on equity markets, which will kill IRA's and 401K's.

The part where unrealized gains will be taxed is likely unconstitutional, and we'll know that for sure at the end of the current SCOTUS term.
So this is when I need one of the super smart libs to explain how this is a great idea.

As someone who comes from nothing and has acquired some, this seems like a great way for me to not be able to afford shit I've already bought.

So this is when I need one of the super smart libs to explain how this is a great idea.

As someone who comes from nothing and has acquired some, this seems like a great way for me to not be able to afford shit I've already bought.
It would not affect you. It's a tax the rich plan. It's a proposal and has no chance to pass as a statute as drafted. They are trying to figure out ways to increase revenue.

It would not affect you. It's a tax the rich plan. It's a proposal and has no chance to pass as a statute as drafted. They are trying to figure out ways to increase revenue.

I think they are trying to figure out ways to lose the White House,... talented group.

It's special because investment drives the economy,... it's economic fuel.

I think they are trying to figure out ways to lose the White House,... talented group.
Nah- this policy isn't going to lose it for them. Except for chuckles that thinks the gains on his 150K home is going to be taxed at 44%. Trump promising the poor $50 per hour jobs making widgets and not more chinese products is going to win him the White House. Populist promises always sway the poor and poorly educated.

Reactions: Ree4 and Torg
It ought to be treated as “income” and it is not….it is given the second lowest tax rate because it is “special”………Special only because the rich and wealthy have the means to access this type of income for the most part.
Anyone can experience capital gains if they have the discipline to not spend money, tie it up in an asset that appreciates, and then sell the asset for their capital gain. It's not just for rich people.

In fact, probably the biggest break the government gives to the non-rich is to allow them to pay 0% capital gains when they sell their primary residence. You can sell your primary residence and avoid paying capital gains taxes on the first $250,000 of your profits if your tax-filing status is single, and up to $500,000 if married and filing jointly."

Anyone can experience capital gains if they have the discipline to not spend money, tie it up in an asset that appreciates, and then sell the asset for their capital gain. It's not just for rich people.

In fact, probably the biggest break the government gives to the non-rich is to allow them to pay 0% capital gains when they sell their primary residence. You can sell your primary residence and avoid paying capital gains taxes on the first $250,000 of your profits if your tax-filing status is single, and up to $500,000 if married and filing jointly."
My home is supposedly worth 350k more now than when I bought it.....

What is it about this that I shouldn't hate?

Reactions: seminoleed

If you're single, you'd pay capital gains on The $100k or so above the $250k threshold for the capital gains exception. Not sure when these thresholds were last revisited, but I'd assume they'll be increasing those thresholds if we get a Republican back in charge.

from the forbes article linked above:

"Taken as a whole, then, the 44.6% rate would only come to fruition under a separate proposal from the Biden administration’s main capital gains rate increase, and only apply to those individuals with taxable income above $1 million and investment income above $400,000. That isn’t quite as cataclysmic a policy shift as referring to a blanket 44.6% long-term capital gains rate would suggest."

also...

"The policy proposal is much more incremental than revolutionary – aimed, albeit in a small way, at ensuring high earners contribute a fairer portion relative to their massive financial undertakings. Per a 2021 White House release, American billionaires pay an average individual income tax rate of just 8.2%, which might cast them as somewhat less deserving of victim status in the eyes of the average taxpayer. To combat that, policies that would curtail the ability for wealthy individuals to avoid a higher tax bill could employ fearmongering about skyrocketing capital gains rates for ordinary taxpayers."

Reactions: RileyHawk and Ree4
I read somewhere 44% is proposed for those with income over $1M/yr.

I’m okay with it in principle, but worry that it’s too aggressive and will be too much of a shock to the markets as the ultra wealthy shift money to other assets and those who aren’t ultra wealthy lose their asses. Maybe 25-30% for those earning more than $1M would more appropriate? Maybe $1M is even too low?

Because it has no chance of passing as it is right now. Also, you do realize this is for people that make more than $1 million, right?

This will not pass as is. I do, however, see maybe a 25-30% cap gains rate for higher income earners which I have no problem with.

And there are fewer of them than there are poors so the voting thing works well...
yes...because if anything is true about our tax code (and government in general) is that we need more influence and input from the most wealthy

Reactions: Ree4
Can't help but laugh at folks who think this would only affect the wealthy as written in the proposal. Name one scenario where rich people getting money taken from them didn't negatively impact those below them. If their costs go up - where do you think they are going to recoup that from?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
What am I missing here? This seems like an incredibly stupid idea where the only people are can afford to have ahit are exorbitantly wealthy.
I don't see anyway this goes through but even still read the fine print, would only affect individuals with 1 million of income and 400k of investment income.

Even still this is something that I am going to have to keep an eye on and how much gains I have on MSTR I very well may capture a decent chunk of capital gains at the end of 2024. Make sure there is no possibility I could hit those thresholds.

When you live off the government in some form or another...it and all taxes are the greatest thing ever. To an average work stiff, the suck.

Can't help but laugh at folks who think this would only affect the wealthy as written in the proposal. Name one scenario where rich people getting money taken from them didn't negatively impact those below them. If their costs go up - where do you think they are going to recoup that from?
Anyone who invests receive capital gains...it effects a lot of middle class folks as well.

• Haha
Reactions: chonk and RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT