ADVERTISEMENT

Speaker Johnson moves on foreign aid, possibly triggering vote to oust him

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Speaker Mike Johnson is moving ahead on a foreign aid plan that has roiled his conference and prompted two Republicans to push an effort to oust him from the chamber’s top job.
But instead of the complex four-part plan he floated earlier this week, Johnson now intends to try to pass five bills — one each for aid to Ukraine; Israel; and Indo-Pacific allies; as well as a GOP wish list of foreign policy priorities and a fifth stand-alone bill to address widespread Republican demands to strengthen the southern U.S. border.

Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.

The new approach is risky and could blow up on the speaker, whose six-month-old hold on the gavel is being threatened by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s (Ga.) promise to move a motion to topple Johnson (R-La.) if he puts Ukraine aid on the floor, something many far-right Republicans object to.

ADVERTISING

Johnson told Republicans in a letter to colleagues Wednesday morning, “After significant Member feedback and discussion” this week, the House will move ahead with his plan, with some significant changes. He intends to release bill text on Ukraine, Israel and for Indo-Pacific allies earlier Wednesday, and language for the GOP wish list and border later Wednesday.
Success is anything but guaranteed, both on the foreign aid package and keeping his job. Timing on the votes, also, is up in the air — even as members were slated to head home for a one-week recess on Thursday.
This is all happening against the backdrop of an extremely slender House majority that Republicans argue should be expanded by voters in November to better their chances of advancing a conservative agenda. The GOP currently has a two-vote majority, meaning that if Democrats do not help keep Johnson in the speaker role, only three Republicans would be needed to wrest his gavel. But two Republicans suddenly become enough after Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.) resigns. He was supposed to leave Friday, putting the GOP majority at just one vote, but now is expected to leave once foreign aid bill passes.

“The congressman has the flexibility to stay and support the aid package on Saturday,” his office said on Wednesday.
It is clear Republicans are growing increasingly fed up with Johnson’s leadership, and the far-right flank had already signaled they will not support Johnson’s plan even before text of the legislation was released. It’s unclear how they will respond to the idea of moving a separate border package — which will, according to the speaker’s office — will include the “core components of H.R. 2,” a harsh immigration bill restricting migrants from entering the United States.
Early signals were not good.
The House Freedom Caucus has already panned the proposal. Johnson is “surrendering” on the border, the far-right group tweeted in response to Johnson’s plan. “This flies in the face of every promise Republicans have told you” and they care more about “funding Ukraine than they do securing our own borders.”

Yet Johnson is moving the separate border package in an attempt to appease his unruly conference, many of whom have demanded the border be secure before funding is sent to Ukraine and other allies. Republicans did have a chance to consider a tough bipartisan security bill earlier in the year, but declined to do so as Donald Trump vocally attacked it.
Keeping border security separate from the foreign aid package may give both pieces of legislation a greater chance of passing. The national security bill will likely need Democratic support because of the large number of Republicans who don’t want to fund Ukraine — while Johnson aims to pass the border security bill with just Republican support, hoping to satisfy demands from all corners of his conference and send all bills to the Senate.
But in an almost four-hour meeting between Johnson and his allies Tuesday night — before this latest plan was released — Republicans left demoralized after failing to concoct a plan that would ensure enough of them support sending the package to the floor without having to rely on Democrats. Multiple people familiar with the meeting, who were granted anonymity to discuss internal dynamics, said the meeting enlightened them and Johnson about what moving on his plan would mean for his future.

While Johnson is officially moving on his foreign aid plan, it could all lead to his ouster.

“The battle lines were very clear at the end,” one Republican said. “It was very clear [the motion to vacate] will be brought if the speaker’s plan proceeds.”
Greene and Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) are supporting the motion to remove Johnson from the speakership after he relied on Democrats to pass several bills that failed to unite Republicans. If the motion were to be considered under special rules, the House would have 48 hours to vote on the question to oust the speaker.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Speaker Mike Johnson is moving ahead on a foreign aid plan that has roiled his conference and prompted two Republicans to push an effort to oust him from the chamber’s top job.
But instead of the complex four-part plan he floated earlier this week, Johnson now intends to try to pass five bills — one each for aid to Ukraine; Israel; and Indo-Pacific allies; as well as a GOP wish list of foreign policy priorities and a fifth stand-alone bill to address widespread Republican demands to strengthen the southern U.S. border.

Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.

The new approach is risky and could blow up on the speaker, whose six-month-old hold on the gavel is being threatened by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s (Ga.) promise to move a motion to topple Johnson (R-La.) if he puts Ukraine aid on the floor, something many far-right Republicans object to.

ADVERTISING

Johnson told Republicans in a letter to colleagues Wednesday morning, “After significant Member feedback and discussion” this week, the House will move ahead with his plan, with some significant changes. He intends to release bill text on Ukraine, Israel and for Indo-Pacific allies earlier Wednesday, and language for the GOP wish list and border later Wednesday.
Success is anything but guaranteed, both on the foreign aid package and keeping his job. Timing on the votes, also, is up in the air — even as members were slated to head home for a one-week recess on Thursday.
This is all happening against the backdrop of an extremely slender House majority that Republicans argue should be expanded by voters in November to better their chances of advancing a conservative agenda. The GOP currently has a two-vote majority, meaning that if Democrats do not help keep Johnson in the speaker role, only three Republicans would be needed to wrest his gavel. But two Republicans suddenly become enough after Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.) resigns. He was supposed to leave Friday, putting the GOP majority at just one vote, but now is expected to leave once foreign aid bill passes.

“The congressman has the flexibility to stay and support the aid package on Saturday,” his office said on Wednesday.
It is clear Republicans are growing increasingly fed up with Johnson’s leadership, and the far-right flank had already signaled they will not support Johnson’s plan even before text of the legislation was released. It’s unclear how they will respond to the idea of moving a separate border package — which will, according to the speaker’s office — will include the “core components of H.R. 2,” a harsh immigration bill restricting migrants from entering the United States.
Early signals were not good.
The House Freedom Caucus has already panned the proposal. Johnson is “surrendering” on the border, the far-right group tweeted in response to Johnson’s plan. “This flies in the face of every promise Republicans have told you” and they care more about “funding Ukraine than they do securing our own borders.”

Yet Johnson is moving the separate border package in an attempt to appease his unruly conference, many of whom have demanded the border be secure before funding is sent to Ukraine and other allies. Republicans did have a chance to consider a tough bipartisan security bill earlier in the year, but declined to do so as Donald Trump vocally attacked it.
Keeping border security separate from the foreign aid package may give both pieces of legislation a greater chance of passing. The national security bill will likely need Democratic support because of the large number of Republicans who don’t want to fund Ukraine — while Johnson aims to pass the border security bill with just Republican support, hoping to satisfy demands from all corners of his conference and send all bills to the Senate.
But in an almost four-hour meeting between Johnson and his allies Tuesday night — before this latest plan was released — Republicans left demoralized after failing to concoct a plan that would ensure enough of them support sending the package to the floor without having to rely on Democrats. Multiple people familiar with the meeting, who were granted anonymity to discuss internal dynamics, said the meeting enlightened them and Johnson about what moving on his plan would mean for his future.

While Johnson is officially moving on his foreign aid plan, it could all lead to his ouster.

“The battle lines were very clear at the end,” one Republican said. “It was very clear [the motion to vacate] will be brought if the speaker’s plan proceeds.”
Greene and Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) are supporting the motion to remove Johnson from the speakership after he relied on Democrats to pass several bills that failed to unite Republicans. If the motion were to be considered under special rules, the House would have 48 hours to vote on the question to oust the speaker.
I will admit I have fallen behind on the budget news. Why is the concept of 5 separate bills a fireable offense for the GOP? Seems reasonable.

Reactions: desihawk
I will admit I have fallen behind on the budget news. Why is the concept of 5 separate bills a fireable offense for the GOP? Seems reasonable.
Ukraine Aid shouldn’t be allowed any chance of passing. That’s what it boils down to.

You would think they would like that. They could shoot down Ukraine aid and vote to build more walls and shit on our border.
No, they’ve most likely done a count and understand almost all Democrats will vote for it. And with the margins so slim good chance it passes. The anti Israeli faction of the Dems won’t push so heavy against it either.
Let’s say 5 Dems are anti war on anything. They’ll get 20 or so Republicans to vote for it easy. The best way to keep something from passing is to never let it see a vote. The leader of the party doesn’t want it to pass. But can’t come out strongly in Putin’s favor as he wish he could.

No, they’ve most likely done a count and understand almost all Democrats will vote for it. And with the margins so slim good chance it passes. The anti Israeli faction of the Dems won’t push so heavy against it either.
Let’s say 5 Dems are anti war on anything. They’ll get 20 or so Republicans to vote for it easy. The best way to keep something from passing is to never let it see a vote. The leader of the party doesn’t want it to pass. But can’t come out strongly in Putin’s favor as he wish he could.
Good explanation. I am pretty dialed into lots of things, but the ins and outs of how sausage gets made in legislative process is not one of them.

Good explanation. I am pretty dialed into lots of things, but the ins and outs of how sausage gets made in legislative process is not one of them.
When Trump stopped the immigration bill. Regardless of what you think about it. He came out and swung big and showed everyone who is in charge. Trump could do the same here. But the politics of him backing this dictator make it unfeasible. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view. Trump can’t do anything here. He doesn’t do subtle. Even his attempt at subtle in his opinion will break through the noise.

I didn't see any mention of where they will cut spending to pay for aid to Ukraine, Israel, etc....

....did I miss it?

I don’t think MTG has the stones to bring the motion to the floor. If they boot Johnson, there’s a real possibility Dems could take the House with 2 R’s who’ve had enough of the clown show.
She doesn't give two shits about that.

She'd rather be in the minority, shout at the space lasers on the moon and get more attention.

A big part of the how and the why.

hD4lNtL.gif

'I am not resigning': Johnson at risk as he forges ahead on Ukraine, Israel aid​

House Speaker Mike Johnson on Tuesday forged ahead with a plan to try to pass aid to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan that's been tied up in a political fight in Washington for months -- even though the move could cost him his job.

Johnson has laid out a proposal to split the $95 billion foreign aid package passed by the Senate into three separate bills, one for each country, and a fourth bill loaded with conservative priorities.

Johnson spoke with President Joe Biden on Monday before unveiling his plan to his conference, two sources told ABC News. A White House official said the administration was waiting to see the plan "in detail" before discussing with Democrats how to proceed.

But Johnson's approach is already causing more rancor with the right flank of his party, as a second member said Tuesday he would join Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's motion to remove him from the speaker post, in part over aid to Ukraine.

Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., said he told Johnson in a closed-door conference meeting he is cosponsoring Greene's motion, which she introduced last month. Massie said he suggested Johnson "pre-announce" his resignation so Republicans can get to work on finding a new speaker and avoid any lapse in leadership.

ABC News Senior Congressional Correspondent Rachel Scott asked Johnson at the GOP's weekly news conference for his response to Republicans who say that if he doesn't step aside, they may oust him over this issue.

"I am not resigning," Johnson answered. "And it is, in my view, an absurd notion that someone would bring a vacate motion when we are simply here trying to do our jobs."

Johnson continued, "It is not helpful to the cause. It is not helpful to the country. It does not help the House Republicans to advance our agenda."

"I asked him to resign," Massie told ABC News as he left the GOP meeting earlier Tuesday. "He said he would not, and I said you're the one who is going to put us into this. The motion is going to get called, does anybody doubt that? The motion will get called, and he's going to lose more votes than Kevin McCarthy. And I have told him this in private, like weeks ago."

Johnson also made recent comments that prompted frustration from former President Donald Trump's advisers, and forced Johnson's team to issue a new statement, sources told ABC News.

Reactions: cigaretteman

'I am not resigning': Johnson at risk as he forges ahead on Ukraine, Israel aid​

House Speaker Mike Johnson on Tuesday forged ahead with a plan to try to pass aid to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan that's been tied up in a political fight in Washington for months -- even though the move could cost him his job.

Johnson has laid out a proposal to split the $95 billion foreign aid package passed by the Senate into three separate bills, one for each country, and a fourth bill loaded with conservative priorities.

Johnson spoke with President Joe Biden on Monday before unveiling his plan to his conference, two sources told ABC News. A White House official said the administration was waiting to see the plan "in detail" before discussing with Democrats how to proceed.

But Johnson's approach is already causing more rancor with the right flank of his party, as a second member said Tuesday he would join Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's motion to remove him from the speaker post, in part over aid to Ukraine.

Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., said he told Johnson in a closed-door conference meeting he is cosponsoring Greene's motion, which she introduced last month. Massie said he suggested Johnson "pre-announce" his resignation so Republicans can get to work on finding a new speaker and avoid any lapse in leadership.

ABC News Senior Congressional Correspondent Rachel Scott asked Johnson at the GOP's weekly news conference for his response to Republicans who say that if he doesn't step aside, they may oust him over this issue.

"I am not resigning," Johnson answered. "And it is, in my view, an absurd notion that someone would bring a vacate motion when we are simply here trying to do our jobs."

Johnson continued, "It is not helpful to the cause. It is not helpful to the country. It does not help the House Republicans to advance our agenda."

"I asked him to resign," Massie told ABC News as he left the GOP meeting earlier Tuesday. "He said he would not, and I said you're the one who is going to put us into this. The motion is going to get called, does anybody doubt that? The motion will get called, and he's going to lose more votes than Kevin McCarthy. And I have told him this in private, like weeks ago."

Johnson also made recent comments that prompted frustration from former President Donald Trump's advisers, and forced Johnson's team to issue a new statement, sources told ABC News.

Worse case for Johnson he doesn’t have to be Speaker anymore. I’m sure his mental health would be relieved.

The dysfunction in the GOP House is just astounding.
It really is.

Republicans will pay a steep price for their incompetence.
I keep waiting for it, but it doesn't seem to happen. The GOP as a whole is an embarrassment. A huge chunk of the GOP just keeps voting for these insane people because voting dem/lib is abhorrent, on a brain-washed personal level. And I say this as an independent, not a true blue democrat.

I keep waiting for it, but it doesn't seem to happen. The GOP as a whole is an embarrassment. A huge chunk of the GOP just keeps voting for these insane people because voting dem/lib is abhorrent, on a brain-washed personal level. And I say this as an independent, not a true blue democrat.
The fact that several incumbent Republican House members have announced that they won't seek reelection indicates there's a clear hint that, unless they're in a DEEP Red district, they know voters are pissed off at the GOP.

If Johnson were ousted it wouldn't shock me if no Republican wanted the position...

You would think there would have been some stronger efforts by Republicans to take down the members who are causing all the disfunction in the primaries.

I mean 80% to 90% of their members are fairly united but because they have such a small majority a small amount of their members are able to cause a whole lot of chaos.

At some point you have to think the Republicans would have decided that these members are the ones causing all the problems, they arn't team players, they don't want to compromise with anyone, they don't want actually pass legislation, they just want to watch everything burn. And then taken some of their heavy hitters out against them in the primaries.

But I'm guessing the problem is that the cult leader just cares about who loves him the most and not about legislating.

You would think there would have been some stronger efforts by Republicans to take down the members who are causing all the disfunction in the primaries.

I mean 80% to 90% of their members are fairly united but because they have such a small majority a small amount of their members are able to cause a whole lot of chaos.

At some point you have to think the Republicans would have decided that these members are the ones causing all the problems, they arn't team players, they don't want to compromise with anyone, they don't want actually pass legislation, they just want to watch everything burn. And then taken some of their heavy hitters out against them in the primaries.

But I'm guessing the problem is that the cult leader just cares about who loves him the most and not about legislating.
Your last sentence is the key. They just can't stop sucking him off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT