ADVERTISEMENT

Speaker Mike Johnson wants Biden meeting before any action on Ukraine and Israel aid package

Putin has to be salivating over political events the past few days in the US. Just a few days ago he hears Trump's insane comment that he could have full reign to overthrow a NATO country if that country didn't sufficiently pony up to pay their share of NATO defense funding. And now there is every indication that the House Speaker won't allow the Senate-passed Ukraine funding bill to even reach a floor vote. Talk about doing Putin's bidding - really pathetic!

Said no on Wednesday, yes today.

In a shift from past statements from the White House, Biden said he would be willing to meet with House Speaker Mike Johnson on the issue.

"I'd be happy to meet with him if he has anything to say," Biden said.

Reactions: Hawked

A shutdown is approaching. Biden and Johnson’s lack of relationship isn’t helping.​

The Ukraine crisis escalates and a government funding deadline looms. The lack of history between the president and the House speaker could make things worse.

A shutdown is approaching. Biden and Johnson’s lack of relationship isn’t helping.​

The Ukraine crisis escalates and a government funding deadline looms. The lack of history between the president and the House speaker could make things worse.

Johnson’s relationship with Republicans isn’t so good, either. Patrick McHenry gave him both barrels yesterday.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2

What good is a relationship with Johnson when he doesn't/won't make a decision without getting Trump's approval first? Trump and by proxy Johnson, will do nothing that they perceive to benefit Biden or the Democrats in any way. That was proven and confirmed by the failure to bring the border and aide package to the floor for a vote.

What good is a relationship with Johnson when he doesn't/won't make a decision without getting Trump's approval first? Trump and by proxy Johnson, will do nothing that they perceive to benefit Biden or the Democrats in any way. That was proven and confirmed by the failure to bring the border and aide package to the floor for a vote.
Talking is better than not talking IMO.

Only if you can trust what he says. What’s the point if you can reach an agreement privately that he can’t get approval from his caucus?
Point is, it's not his caucus as a whole or even a majority. It's the few very vocal ones and Trump. Again, look at his failure to bring the border/aide bill to the floor for a vote. It would've passed. I know that. He knows that. But party over everything right now.

Only if the talks have a chance to lead to progress. Johnson is too weak to defy members of his own party and certainly Trump.
I think you're correct. Still think open lines of communication is the best way to go.

If only from a PR perspective I agree.
There's always a chance Johnson might want an out.

If I bring it to a vote will D's support the inevitable "motion to vacate" from the Gaetz crew? Johnson really wants Israel aid and that's part of the foreign aid package...use that.

There's always a chance Johnson might want an out.

If I bring it to a vote will D's support the inevitable "motion to vacate" from the Gaetz crew? Johnson really wants Israel aid and that's part of the foreign aid package...use that.
After he killed the previous immigration/aid package?

That better be one hell of an offer from him.

Bringing it to the floor would be the offer.
Nope; making it a one-off is a bad deal. He’ll just do that every time Biden wanted something passed and wanted concessions.

Johnson wants Dems to help save his job, he needs to offer them something substantial. I’d want legislation protecting IVF treatments for instance.

Putin has to be salivating over political events the past few days in the US. Just a few days ago he hears Trump's insane comment that he could have full reign to overthrow a NATO country if that country didn't sufficiently pony up to pay their share of NATO defense funding. And now there is every indication that the House Speaker won't allow the Senate-passed Ukraine funding bill to even reach a floor vote. Talk about doing Putin's bidding - really pathetic!
Interesting take. Why do you think Putin didn't invade the Ukraine when Trump was POTUS?

Nope; making it a one-off is a bad deal. He’ll just do that every time Biden wanted something passed and wanted concessions.

Johnson wants Dems to help save his job, he needs to offer them something substantial. I’d want legislation protecting IVF treatments for instance.
Might get that actually...RNC came out with something last week saying not to be against IVF treatments. Total loser position politically...

Might get that actually...RNC came out with something last week saying not to be against IVF treatments. Total loser position politically...
They’re trying to gloss past that they shot IVF legislation down shortly after Dobbs. Now they’re trying to get ahead of this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT