ADVERTISEMENT

Speaker Mike Johnson wants Biden meeting before any action on Ukraine and Israel aid package

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Pretty much the only promising development I've seen on the subject....

The House speaker, who has previously met with Biden, is seeking a one-on-one meeting ahead of any movement on legislation that would provide aid for the U.S. allies.

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Mike Johnson wants an in-person, one-on-one meeting with President Joe Biden before proceeding with a supplemental aid package with funding for Ukraine and Israel, a source close to Johnson said.

Johnson, R-La., and his staff have requested the meetings with Biden through senior White House officials several times over the past two months after Johnson's trip last month to the U.S. border in Eagle Pass, Texas, the source said.

The most recent request for a meeting came just over a week ago, several days before the Senate passed a bipartisan $95 billion national security package and before House Republicans impeached Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

Johnson's requests for a meeting were not necessarily about the Senate’s version of the supplemental aid but rather about a general path forward on a legislative package.

The Senate bill, which includes aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, passed with support from 70 senators.

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., said Tuesday that Biden "refuses" to meet with Johnson.

“Ultimately, the two of them could come to an agreement that can become law,” Scalise said. “And yet the president refuses to even meet. So the president can’t say he’s serious about Ukraine or the border when he refuses to meet with the speaker so they can come to an agreement on this issue.”

A White House official pointed to what the administration characterized as Johnson’s inconsistencies on the border, saying he needed to wrap the negotiations he has having with himself and stop delaying national security needs in the name of politics.

“That body language says: ‘I know I’m in a tough spot. Please bail me out,’” said a Democratic source involved with the supplemental aid package.

Biden met with Johnson alongside other congressional leaders less than a month ago to discuss a bipartisan immigration deal that would have unlocked aid to Ukraine. Johnson at the time called it a “productive” meeting.

Johnson has to give Israel money. And Biden knows Johnson doesn’t have the votes to give Israel money by himself. Johnson played This about as poorly as possible. Will be interesting if he can keep his Speakership over any funding for foreign aid.

Johnson has to give Israel money. And Biden knows Johnson doesn’t have the votes to give Israel money by himself. Johnson played This about as poorly as possible. Will be interesting if he can keep his Speakership over this.
He probably wants Joe to lean on Jeffries to cover him when the inevitable motion to vacate comes if he brings this to a vote.

What promise? Republicans are bad faith negotiators. They agree to stuff then go back on their word the very next day.
That he's willing to talk to Joe is more promising than what we've seen so far...he probably wants Joe to provide some cover if he brings it to a vote.

The thing is, even if he brings it to a vote it's gonna be a close call. You have the the R Putin caucus and the anti Israel caucus that are gonna vote against it.

I’d tell him only if u bring the immigration package for a vote as well. Otherwise, I‘d tell him not my job to control your caucus.
If Ukraine aid is indeed vital you cut the deal on that. Have to get that through IMO from a foreign policy standpoint.

If Ukraine aid is indeed vital you cut the deal on that. Have to get that through IMO from a foreign policy standpoint.
I’d save him. But put that as a condition. Letting Johnson know. If he reneges on the promise. It will be remembered in future dealings. Meaning maybe I won’t keep my end on a bargain next time.

I’d save him. But put that as a condition. Letting Johnson know. If he reneges on the promise. It will be remembered in future dealings. Meaning maybe I won’t keep my end on a bargain next time.
Make it a one time deal. If the foreign aid deal goes through that's a W for Joe. Johnson can get tossed afterwards...and he most likely will.

Reactions: tumorboy
Timing of this with how the border security bill issue backfired in last night’s loss of a seat in a very red district is interesting. Turns out there are a lot of swing voters starting to see the GOP is not serious about governing when they are placating Trump.

There are some giant cracks in the foundation of the party due to the MAGA parasite and hopefully the politicians will realize that Trump is a massive overall loser for them and wrecking their future. It’s their very last chance if they want to win the presidency and hold onto Congress. They are almost out of time. About 2/3rds of this country are absolutely sick and tired of Trump and his loudmouth and weak-minded MAGA cult and it is going to show this November.

Make it a one time deal. If the foreign aid deal goes through that's a W for Joe. Johnson can get tossed afterwards...and he most likely will.
Johnson has worked himself into a corner. Thanks to his religion and party rules. Dude took the job thinking his religion was the reason why and his strength. Ordained by God. When it blinded him to the reality of the political situation he was stepping into.

Reactions: noleclone2
Timing of this with how the border security bill issue backfired in last night’s loss of a seat in a very red district is interesting. Turns out there are a lot of swing voters starting to see the GOP is not serious about governing when they are placating Trump.

There are some giant cracks in the foundation of the party due to the MAGA parasite and hopefully the politicians will realize that Trump is a massive overall loser for them and wrecking their future. It’s their very last chance if they want to win the presidency and hold onto Congress. They are almost out of time. About 2/3rds of this country are absolutely sick and tired of Trump and his loudmouth and weakness MAGA cult and it is going to show this November.
Trump never pays the bill. But if u watch closely. His enablers do. Time to read the room morons. Not confident about that.

Reactions: noleclone2

There are some giant cracks in the foundation of the party due to the MAGA parasite and hopefully the politicians will realize that Trump is a massive overall loser for them and wrecking their future. It’s their very last chance if they want to win the presidency and hold onto Congress. They are almost out of time. About 2/3rds of this country are absolutely sick and tired of Trump and his loudmouth and weak-minded MAGA cult and it is going to show this November.
They won't figure it out until they get slaughtered in November.

There are some giant cracks in the foundation of the party due to the MAGA parasite and hopefully the politicians will realize that Trump is a massive overall loser for them and wrecking their future.
I remember when conservative commentators would joke about “facts dont care about your feelings” and “liberal tears” anytime some random lefties cried about something on twitter, which opened the door for Trump and MAGA

Now the people are getting tired of all the conservative grievances, how everything is “woke” and the constant performance theater by republicans, the pendulum is swinging back the other way towards the dems.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
They won't figure it out until they get slaughtered in November.
The biggest drag Trump is as both of us have noted many times is money. Especially in House races. There is no money to coordinate a race by race campaign. Which turns some races that lean blue into safe blue. And some toss ups into lean blue. And worse of all some lean red into toss ups. It has a cumulative affect on everything.

In a 1:1 meeting Biden would say privately, "yeah, I get it, but it's an election year and I have obligations to the party to uphold"

Then they'll both play politics after they accomplish nothing.

That he's willing to talk to Joe is more promising than what we've seen so far...he probably wants Joe to provide some cover if he brings it to a vote.

The thing is, even if he brings it to a vote it's gonna be a close call. You have the the R Putin caucus and the anti Israel caucus that are gonna vote against it.
He has become a puppet and mouthpiece for Trump. No way will I believe his intentions are honorable.

In a 1:1 meeting Biden would say privately, "yeah, I get it, but it's an election year and I have obligations to the party to uphold"

Don’t underestimate Israels pull to a fundamentalist.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2

Which is why the Senate Democrats made concessions to attempt to pass the border/aide bill before Johnson/Trump torpedoed it. Right?

He can talk to Biden all he wants, but until he gets his own house in order, Biden isn't going to trust one single syllable out of his mouth until Johnson proves he can crack the whip.

Yet we all know, if there's "compromise" anywhere in a potential deal that makes Biden look good, Johnson will get torpedoed by his own side. Guaranteed.

He can talk to Biden all he wants, but until he gets his own house in order, Biden isn't going to trust one single syllable out of his mouth until Johnson proves he can crack the whip.

Yet we all know, if there's "compromise" anywhere in a potential deal that makes Biden look good, Johnson will get torpedoed by his own side. Guaranteed.
He can’t get his house in order with this slim majority. Impossible.

He’ll need Jeffries on board with whatever deal he cuts with Joe. Only way he survives bringing it to a vote IMO

He can’t get his house in order with this slim majority. Impossible.

He’ll need Jeffries on board with whatever deal he cuts with Joe. Only way he survives bringing it to a vote IMO
I don’t think there is enough trust and goodwill there with the neophyte speaker to be able to cut a deal. Maybe with McCarthy.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I don’t think there is enough trust and goodwill there with the neophyte speaker to be able to cut a deal. Maybe with McCarthy.
As @tumorboy pointed out...he REALLY wants Israel aid to go through. I think that's his impetus for at least exploring a deal with Joe.

Then he and the GOP will be hammered for choosing to pander to Trump and the extreme wing of their party and they will deserve every bit of what they get.

It will be the fault of the dems if they dont bail Johnson out because he cant control his party. Thats SOP around here.

See:
Its the dems fault for not saving mccarthys ass

Its on the dems if trump gets re-elected and not the republicans that nominated trunp to be their partys candidate

And did you see that one X posted from Bidens account. “Unifier in chief” pffffft, right

Weird to ask for the meeting when they met a few weeks ago.
Johnson is a frightened child in an adult's job. He was about the 6th choice to be Speaker, and nothing on his resume says he was ready for the job. As to a motion to vacate, even the nuts like Florida's own Matt Gaetz isn't talking crazy talk right now.

I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic that anything could come of this. I think with the GOP being absolutely ineffective and the American people starting to notice, that it would make for good optics for Johnson to hold a bipartisan meeting with Biden to give the appearance they are working towards a deal.

But I feel Johnson isn't ever going to make a deal, and Trump will just blow up any meeting and get Johnson and the party to vote down anything that might be negotiated with Biden.

What will happen:
Biden and Johnson will meet.

Maybe they agree to a deal behind closed doors, maybe not.

Once Trump does what Trump usually does, Johnson will gaslight everybody about the deal not being serious enough.

Deal or no deal, there will be some other gaslighting to put blame on the dems for why nothing worked out

The “moderates” and “independents” and free thinkers will agree and continue to tell us why the dems arent serious about a deal.

Last edited:
Fine. But that's on Johnson and his party.
True. If it does go to the floor it'll be a close vote regardless. R's voting no because of Ukraine and some D's voting no because of Israel.

There are enough yes votes to get through.

True. If it does go to the floor it'll be a close vote regardless. R's voting no because of Ukraine and some D's voting no because of Israel.

There are enough yes votes to get through.
I certainly believe there are enough votes which is why Johnson won't bring it to the floor. Instead he will kowtow to Trump and the MTG wing of the party.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT