ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer’s competition in Turkey

31 Wrestlers listed as registered participants at 57 kg. on the UWW website.
Drake Ayala is listed as a participant.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
31 Wrestlers listed as registered participants at 57 kg. on the UWW website.
Drake Ayala is listed as a participant.
It looks like we put him down as a training partner and he was added to the list inadvertently. At 65kg Jordan Conaway is also listed with Zain Rutherford and an extra guy from Turkey. Otherwise, everyone else at every weight is a single person per country which is how it is supposed to be. One entry per country that has not qualified the weight.

Ramos not listed in UWW's LCQ registration list.

It was circulating that Ramos would be there, but it appears he missed the deadline to register. I don’t expect him to be at the qualifier as it’s mostly set barring any “injuries” for those already registered

Maybe Spence can takedown takedown Aman Aman! (Get it?)
asdf irony GIF

Last edited:
Updated list of entries. 😯👀👀
Going to be a tough one.

I have less concern for Spencer making the team than I do for Zain. I love Zain but wrestling is no longer his top priority. He has a family and career which dilutes his focus. I think he qualifies but he's not as focused as Spencer imo.

If anyone here is interested in Zain's mindset, this is a great article, and where my thoughts come from. He's got his shit together.

Last edited:
I have less concern for Spencer making the team than I do for Zain. I love Zain but wrestling is no longer his top priority. He has a family and career which dilutes his focus. I think he qualifies but he's not as focused as Spencer imo.

If anyone here is interested in Zain's mindset, this is a great article, and where my thoughts come from. He's got his shit together.

If Zain has a good cut, he makes it...his wrestling will take care of itself. I worry about banana peels for both.

I'm really pulling for Zain to qualify the weight and then get a medal. One of my favorite guys to watch from PSU. Love the way he wrestles, and seems like a standup guy too.

At OTT on Saturday afternoon Zain was walking around the concourse with his family. Was really neat to see him out and about amongst the fans. What shocked me was the size of the goose egg on his forehead. When out on the mat he had a bandage on it and they had taken blood time outs, but everyone got antsy waiting for it to get fixed up. Looked like just a little thing from the stands. Up close it was a monster size bump with multiple stitches. Most folks probably would have been laid out by contact like that. All the reps from the US should be "our" guys now.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Regarding next weekend from the article I posted:

"Both Zain Retherford and Spencer Lee (57 kg) will have to finish in the top three at their weight to make it to the Olympics. There is no championship match, so both of the semifinal winners will automatically qualify and the Bronze Medal match will determine the final spot."

So Saturday morning (Iowa time) is the SF. Both winners go to Paris. Then Sunday morning is the third place bout. Winner goes to Paris. Let's hope we can just sleep in Sunday morning.

Both Spencer and Zain are the most decorated in their respective classes, but its hard to trust the transcendence of say a cadet gold to a U23 gold etc. 57kg has a few world medalists, the Indian Aman most recently took world gold in the U23 division. He was a 2x cadet bronze medalist, where as Spencer is a 2x U20 champion and a cadet gold medalist. Zain's results remind me of Vito in several ways, when he is on he is the best of the best but some days he's not on, for that reason alone I think a lot of USAW fans are a little nervous. My confidence says Zain 65% and Spencer 98%.

Both Spencer and Zain are the most decorated in their respective classes, but its hard to trust the transcendence of say a cadet gold to a U23 gold etc. 57kg has a few world medalists, the Indian Aman most recently took world gold in the U23 division. He was a 2x cadet bronze medalist, where as Spencer is a 2x U20 champion and a cadet gold medalist. Zain's results remind me of Vito in several ways, when he is on he is the best of the best but some days he's not on, for that reason alone I think a lot of USAW fans are a little nervous. My confidence says Zain 65% and Spencer 98%.
Thanks, I’m a novice in this realm but it makes sense to me.

A lot of the "Zain not being on" days are weight management issues. He seems to have figured things out there. Needless to say, this is Zain's last rodeo. He's a Wall Street broker and that is where he sees himself after this summer.

Reactions: Armypathfinder
I don't know that answer but Zain will be unseeded at 65kg due to previously wrestling at 70kg. So luck of the draw to a degree.
If this is a seeded qualifier, who or what determines the seeding? Spencer the 1 seed because he is so awesome?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT