ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer at Pan Ams Sat

Reminder Spencer will be wrestling in his 1st intl tourny in quite some time on Sat. Not sure on level of competition. No RBY.
His 1st opponent after his bye will be the 2nd best guy in the bracket. Tigreros Columbia he lost in November 10-0 to Richards. He was a 2020 Olympian but he didn't beat anyone good and he didn't wrestle Gilman in the final. Other than him the bracket is very weak. I would imagine it's a bunch of 10-0 wins for Spencer

It makes NO difference who in the world is wrestling against Spencer Lee if he is anywhere near 100%!!!

RBKYJelly would have a better chance breathing underwater!!! Of course he DUCKED!!!
Dude you just made me seriously LAUGH OUT LOUD in reality...some of the stuff you come up with is just funny as Hell. Thanks for the laughs old boy !!

Yeah. i know. and apparently he's off to MMA immediately following. I'm just truly surprised. I think he's a perfect sized 65kg guy. Sure, add 5-10 pounds of muscle. Seems like a better decision than shrinking and having zero energy.

but hey #incaltheytrust
65 guys weigh 160 at the least and he's not that big . He's a perfect 61 but that's not an Olympic weight so he's gotta go 57

I’m really interested in seeing what he has.
Spencer's body has really transformed the last few years. He's a full grown man now at 57kg. as you know @el dub
RBY is quicker than Spencer,I could see a td or two. I think Spencer is technically better and his par terre is superior to about anyone at 57kg.
Just adding my drivel , I felt like driveling. 🤣

I’m really interested in seeing what he has.
he has progressing really well, getting stronger, feeling better and picking up steam since the soldier salute. you will see a different SL then we have seen the last few seasons! This tournament will be total domination and would be if RBKY was there or not.
He spent 5 years working out with Nick Lee and Zain. Probably thought 65kg would be pointless.
'this is a very good point

Reactions: KYHWKY and T8KUDWN
The weight is a real challenge for RBY. I thought he looked off in France. He beat Deshawn 2-1 and didn't look good. That tournament in France had a 2-kilo allowance so he made 130. Lee ran Deshawn off the mat this year. Nico was more dominant over Deshawn than RBY. I am interested in seeing RBY next weekend at scratch weight. Even this weekend is not a true barometer, because it is a one-day tournament with the finals almost 12-hours later--plenty of time to rehydrate and recover. The challenge with the new weigh in protocols is making scratch weight again on day two. At the NCAA Tournament, the athletes get a pound each day. Internationally, it is scratch weight day one and again on day two at Olympic or World events or qualifying events. That is the real challenge.

It makes me sick that we cut the weights from 10 to 6. Do you think Zeke Jones wins a world title at 125? I don't know if he would have or not, but he won at 114 or Bobby Weaver was accomplished at 105. I'm not pushing for the weight to be lowered, but to keep the 10 that are competed at Worlds versus the 6 allowed for the Olympics. Anyway, it's sad that the Olympics are adding sports and cutting the participation opportunities of the world's oldest sport from 10 weights to 6.

I continually read about what an enormous cut it is for RBY and that he should bump up etc etc, I don't buy that at all. I have stood next to RBY, and that guy is tiny. He is short and thin. This was at OTT in 2021, where he was not competing and was 2 weeks removed from winning his first ncaa title, so for sure was not making weight. I am 6'3 220, if I had to guess RBY looked 5'4 130, and thin. If Daton Fix can be decently effective at 57kg, RBY will be very effective there. Guess we'll see next weekend when he wrestles Richards.

• Haha
Reactions: Kuch96
He spent 5 years working out with Nick Lee and Zain. Probably thought 65kg would be pointless.

But he was significantly smaller than them for those 5 years, so not really a fair comparison. I don't think it matters which weight class he goes, I don't see him making the Olympic team, but I don't think it's impossible that he could've put on some muscle and gone 65kg instead of making a substantial cut to 57kg.

But he was significantly smaller than them for those 5 years, so not really a fair comparison. I don't think it matters which weight class he goes, I don't see him making the Olympic team, but I don't think it's impossible that he could've put on some muscle and gone 65kg instead of making a substantial cut to 57kg.
you don't think RBY can be Mexico's rep at 57kg?

or you don't think RBY will be able to qualify the weight for Mexico?

Reactions: hlstone and el dub
I continually read about what an enormous cut it is for RBY and that he should bump up etc etc, I don't buy that at all. I have stood next to RBY, and that guy is tiny. He is short and thin. This was at OTT in 2021, where he was not competing and was 2 weeks removed from winning his first ncaa title, so for sure was not making weight. I am 6'3 220, if I had to guess RBY looked 5'4 130, and thin. If Daton Fix can be decently effective at 57kg, RBY will be very effective there. Guess we'll see next weekend when he wrestles Richards.
Here's a video of him stepping on the scale after about an hour in the sauna, and he weighed 146. Go to the 12:36 mark.

Reactions: vhsalum
I'm just going by what I've heard from the room in State College that the cut is brutal.

I'm just saying it's a hard cut. I know guys in the room at Penn State and they have said it's brutal. Also, just look at the NCAA Champions picture from 2021. RBY is next to Spencer. He is taller, broader in the shoulders and is simply bigger. The picture says a lot. It's a hard cut for Daton, Richards, Gilman and also for Vito, which is why I stated, it's disappointing they reduced the weights. I'm not saying he won't make it nor am I saying he can't wrestle, but I saw him wrestle less than himself in France. I was just pointing to the FACT, he is a big 125 and it showed in France. Deshazer is not on his level, and it was 2-1 and the weight was 59 kilos and not 57. Fact: making scratch weight on back-to-back days is a game changer compared to the old rules and that will be the Olympics and the trials. Also, if they are on the opposite sides RBY and Richards won't wrestle if they both make the finals. They are simply there to qualify the weight.

Reactions: earn8981 and el dub
Who does Mexico have that could beat RBY at 65KG or do you think he would not qualify the weight?

A short and thin little guy eh? Well that settles it.
He's so short and thin that he went 133 for college. People don't realize he has no fat on him whatsoever at 145 lbs. Yes the cut is tough but at 65kg he's not beating many people. He wouldn't beat Gomez for the spot in Mexico

He's so short and thin that he went 133 for college. People don't realize he has no fat on him whatsoever at 145 lbs. Yes the cut is tough but at 65kg he's not beating many people. He wouldn't beat Gomez for the spot in Mexico

Agreed. There are different body types.
Look at a guy like Riggins who has weighed 176 on full feed. 157 isn’t crazy for a guy that weighs at that much but it would be real tough for Riggins to make it and then be effective. I’ll always give RBY the benefit of the doubt because the dude is talented but I can see how it is going to be real tough for him.

why do people on here think they know RBY's weight management better than RBY?

i'm sure he really appreciates the advice on what weight he should wrestle...

Reactions: west2east
why do people on here think they know RBY's weight management better than RBY?

i'm sure he really appreciates the advice on what weight he should wrestle...

Sports fan forum. This is what we do. I don't think RBY cares one way or another what Iowa fans are saying about his weight class choose, nor should he. Doesn't mean it's not valid to discuss or question. That's sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT