ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer at Pan Ams Sat

He's so short and thin that he went 133 for college. People don't realize he has no fat on him whatsoever at 145 lbs. Yes the cut is tough but at 65kg he's not beating many people. He wouldn't beat Gomez for the spot in Mexico

I think he could beat Gomez for the spot. Especially if he had spent the last year putting on weight.

Reactions: vhsalum
I continually read about what an enormous cut it is for RBY and that he should bump up etc etc, I don't buy that at all. I have stood next to RBY, and that guy is tiny. He is short and thin. This was at OTT in 2021, where he was not competing and was 2 weeks removed from winning his first ncaa title, so for sure was not making weight. I am 6'3 220, if I had to guess RBY looked 5'4 130, and thin. If Daton Fix can be decently effective at 57kg, RBY will be very effective there. Guess we'll see next weekend when he wrestles Richards.

Now that's one of the most scientific analyses that I have read on the cesspool in a long time. You're putting @IRONBIRD to shame.

Ah, internet says he's massive, fvck my eye test, that settles it.

Guess we'll see next weekend. Kind of ironic that Austin Gomez was able to deck Desanto and RBY at 133, yet nobody thinks RBY can be effective at 57kg.

I never said he wasn’t going to be effective. Gomez wrestled his RS Freshman year…yea he had some big moves but Desanto majored him in the Rd of 12 match because he didn’t have much in the tank. Even back then, there were reports of Gomez having a tough time cutting. His final three years of eligibility have been two weights up.

It’s always debatable. You really think teams from the past would beat the teams now?
Yes. With today's training /nutrition methods, I believe many guys from the past would be competitive with today's wrestlers. Some guys would be just as dominant as they were in their day. Some guys are just so mentally tough, they refuse to lose.
And then versus now the guys are bigger, faster and stronger. They would destroy those guys back then. Go watch an old Iowa Hawkeye game maybe from 1985 and checked the weights on the offensive and defensive lines. You’ll see 265 pound tackles back then we could talk about toughness back then, but those were the rules. The guys are just too big.
See above. Those guys didn't have the advanced training techniques of today, but if they did have, would be just as good.
Ah, internet says he's massive, fvck my eye test, that settles it.

Guess we'll see next weekend. Kind of ironic that Austin Gomez was able to deck Desanto and RBY at 133, yet nobody thinks RBY can be effective at 57kg.
I'm pretty sure Desanto got off his back, so he didn't deck both.

Sorry. This is a crossover from two threads, but I'm too busy to change it up now.

I hope Richards and RBY qualify the spots, because I want to see Spencer crush RBY in the Olympics. I think it might be a decent match at 61kg if Spencer moved up. I think the cut is too much to 57kg for RBY.

Sports fan forum. This is what we do. I don't think RBY cares one way or another what Iowa fans are saying about his weight class choose, nor should he. Doesn't mean it's not valid to discuss or question. That's sports.
it would be a valid discussion if people had any idea or insight into rby's cut

and when the best information we have is "i stood next to him and he looked small so his cut can't be that bad", it's clear we don't really know what we're talking about

even you didn't know what country he was competing for...hard to get much validity from discussion that starts with a lack of information like that

Sheeeh…. Even my efforts at guessing girlfriends’ weight back in the day seems more scientific.
I learned not to guess ages and weight a long time ago. Guess you did too since you said "back in the day" lol
As far as the weight, the only thing that mattered to me was the eye test.
Could have been 250 if they looked like this. 🤣
I wouldn't have cared.

bikini GIF

Reactions: T8KUDWN and vhsalum
I learned not to guess ages and weight a long time ago. Guess you did too since you said "back in the day" lol
As far as the weight, the only thing that mattered to me was the eye test.
Could have been 250 if they looked like this. 🤣
I wouldn't have cared.
over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

bikini GIF

You don't have to feel the same way, but I stand by what my eyes saw. Not going to bully me into apologizing for having an opinion based on my own observation rather than message board conjecture.

You should. It's not some stain on your character or a criminal offense... but you were wrong and you are wrong. When presented with evidence, you SHOULD change your mind.

It's ok to be wrong fella.

Reactions: el dub
You should. It's not some stain on your character or a criminal offense... but you were wrong and you are wrong. When presented with evidence, you SHOULD change your mind.

It's ok to be wrong fella.
Welcome to the brave, new world.

Reactions: vhsalum
USA wrestlers

Mat A match order

1 Nate Jackson
3 Alex Facundo
10 Nate Jackson
15 Mason Parris
21 Nate Jackson

Mat match order

2 Alec Pantaleo
11 Nick Lee
15 Spencer Lee
17 Kyle Snyder
20 Alec Pantaleo.

Not sure if this will remain the same or not if one mat has quicker matches than others.
The livestream link doesn't quite work -I can see the mat assignment schedule, but live stream doesn't launch. I'm clicking the screen everywhere seeking any rabbit hole to watch:)

Last edited:
Still trying to grasp the qualification process. If Zane doesn't qualify 57 next weekend, anyone know what options remain for USA to qualify the weight? Any way that Spencer could have a say in qualifying the weight?

Still trying to grasp the qualification process. If Zane doesn't qualify 57 next weekend, anyone know what options remain for USA to qualify the weight? Any way that Spencer could have a say in qualifying the weight?
If I recall there is a last chance tournament for those not qualified and I think it is after our OTT process and the winner of that can qualify the spot at the last chance tournament

If I recall there is a last chance tournament for those not qualified and I think it is after our OTT process and the winner of that can qualify the spot at the last chance tournament
Thanks. It looks like this would be the World Olympic qualifier with the last 3 quotas up for grabs. It is in May after the Olympic Team Trials in April to pick our reps. I assume the OTT winner would be able to wrestle in the last chance qualifier to get USA the spot if needed? Hard to find clear info on all the qualifications details, and it seems to change year to year.

Reactions: west2east
Thanks. It looks like this would be the World Olympic qualifier with the last 3 quotas up for grabs. It is in May after the Olympic Team Trials in April to pick our reps. I assume the OTT winner would be able to wrestle in the last chance qualifier to get USA the spot if needed? Hard to find clear info on all the qualifications details, and it seems to change year to year.
The last guy I remember wrestling at the last chance qualifier was Jordan Oliver. He didn’t place top 2 or 3 and the U.S. didn’t have a 65 Kg. Repay the Olympics. I don’t remember if he won the OTT or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
How does Spencer get in total match shape when he rarely goes past a couple of minutes?
There is an argument that the way to build endurance is mostly low intensity. The idea is consistent long low intensity workouts. Then you sprinkle in a bit of high intensity sessions but you don't need to do a lot of them. Theoretically he could get his high intensity in one day of training each week.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT