ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer at Pan Ams Sat

Thanks. It looks like this would be the World Olympic qualifier with the last 3 quotas up for grabs. It is in May after the Olympic Team Trials in April to pick our reps. I assume the OTT winner would be able to wrestle in the last chance qualifier to get USA the spot if needed? Hard to find clear info on all the qualifications details, and it seems to change year to year.

Last time there was one one tourney with the finalists getting two spots. I believe J.O. lost in the semis. IIRC, Zain got pinned early at Pan Ams.

Needs to clean up the guts a little going forward against better guys. Can’t let the guys stop and almost sit up. Conditioning wise, stick DeSanto on him in practice that will get him in shape.
Yeah i’ve noticed he’s changed up both his gut and lace since he came back.

gut is more of a low gut without the typical forward drive. guys are able to sit up on him a little.

for his lace, he’s been doing the head in the middle thing. i saw that a little back in the day. i think he has close to a 0% success rate against anybody good. like his gut, there’s no forward pressure to keep guys from sitting back into him.

i’d like to see him go back to his more conventional stuff, especially the lace.

gut is more of a low gut without the typical forward drive. guys are able to sit up on him a little.

for his lace, he’s been doing the head in the middle thing. i saw that a little back in the day. i think he has close to a 0% success rate against anybody good. like his gut, there’s no forward pressure to keep guys from sitting back into him.

i’d like to see him go back to his more conventional stuff, especially the lace.
Might be just working on some new stuff or not showing some old stuff making it harder to game plan against him? In any case I would like to see him with some Neoprene knee sleeves!!! Does not really help when someone is cranking the knee, but does keep them warm and helps with impacts.

I’m sure he’s been waiting to read your concerns

I’d like to see him get back to the headlock to hip toss and stay in his good stance.

Reactions: hawktitle
No, I’m not sure any of these guys would win a state title in Iowa tbh
Pan Ams has always been a tournament that the United States has done well in. In the past there has been individuals that has given us issues. There used to be a Cuban at 125 that was tough. In Spencer's bracket this time, the Columbian has placed 9th in a previous World Championship, and it was obvious that he could wrestle. His guy in the finals was a five-time medalist at Pan Am events, so he has been around and was obviously a counter wrestler, but again, Pan Ams is historically not a strong event. Our team took 10 golds, but our country is exceptionally strong at this time, which is why we're starting to see guys representing other countries. I think we will see more guys opting out in the future given how deep many of our weights are in the United States.

Pan Ams has always been a tournament that the United States has done well in. In the past there has been individuals that has given us issues. There used to be a Cuban at 125 that was tough. In Spencer's bracket this time, the Columbian has placed 9th in a previous World Championship, and it was obvious that he could wrestle. His guy in the finals was a five-time medalist at Pan Am events, so he has been around and was obviously a counter wrestler, but again, Pan Ams is historically not a strong event. Our team took 10 golds, but our country is exceptionally strong at this time, which is why we're starting to see guys representing other countries. I think we will see more guys opting out in the future given how deep many of our weights are in the United States.
That Cuban Ortega now trains in Ames.

Kudos to Lee for going down and tearing apart anything in his way, but was it worth his time? Isn’t there better places he could get mat time in, 2 mins of wrestling total.
There aren’t a lot of international competitions and SL was representing the USA. Note that Snyder and other high caliber US athletes represented as well. This was his first time in international competition in years btw.

There aren’t a lot of international competitions and SL was representing the USA. Note that Snyder and other high caliber US athletes represented as well. This was his first time in international competition in years btw.
Understandable, just a straight up slaughter of international competition.

Reactions: AFHawk86
I

That was messed up the way he was cranking on that. The ref needed to stop that crap.
That ref would have let him do whatever he wanted to Spencer’s knee. You could tell he could care less, even with someone in Spencer’s corner yelling at him several times to watch the knee. In college that would have been stopped long before Spencer had to belly out to try to get out of that leg lock. Looked like he was trying to work a submission in mma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT