ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee 57 kg bracket

Would you be happier 5 golds and 1 silver ( spencer)

Or

1 gold (spencer) and 5 non medals
5 golds and 1 silver would be extremely hard to be disappointed with, no matter who the silver was.
1 gold and no other medals, on the other hand, would be a very tough performance from Team USA to watch, regardless of who the gold is.

I'll take scenario 1.

I feel more personally vested in Spencer Lee than I ever have any single athlete, ever, without question. I will cry one way or another next month. Not afraid to admit that. The Cubs in 2016 is the only thing that even compares personally. So yes, I would rather Spencer win and no other American win a single match. I doubt I am the minority around here.

Though to answer for me. I want Spencer to win gold if he doesn’t win gold I will consider it a disaster for him, regardless of how the other weights pan out.

On top of Spencer winning gold, I’d be okay with him retiring and taking a spot on Iowas coaching staff. Moving Terry to the HWC and in three years naming Spencer head coach and then subsequently winning the next 50 ncaa team titles. I’d be okay with that.

Satire and ridiculous aspirations aside I want Spencer to win gold. I want all US wrestlers to win gold but I really want Spencer to win gold….and 50 straight team titles as head coach. I think that’s fair.

Would you be happier 5 golds and 1 silver ( spencer)

Or

1 gold (spencer) and 5 non medals
Early fan of Spencer who attended most of his HS home matches, I can’t quite vote for “only” his gold plus 5 non-medalists (Zain’s one of my all-time favorites), but I’m crazy optimistic about his individual chance at the top step. Just really hope Uguev competes, to validate the result.

Reactions: el dub
That's a pretty strong word.

With all of the health issues he has had?

Seems a little harsh.
Maybe but considering how close he’s been to reaching all of his personal goals in wrestling just to fall short again and again (because of his knee injuries). To fall short here would be difficult to overcome. It would be gut wrenching. I don’t want that to happen to him again.

Athletes are, often unfairly, defined by singular moments. In highschool Spencer was consider possibly the greatest highs school wrestler of all time. Injured his knee and lost his last match to ADS. We all know what happened in college. He was incredibly dominate in 90% of his matches. Had a chance to be Iowas’s first four timer, and in some way maybe start to erase the demons he picked up from high school. Again, we know what happens.

Fast forward two years and he’s wrestling without a leg brace and by all accounts is as healthy as he’s ever going to be. Wins the spot on the US team defeating a former Hawkeye that left Iowa, in part, because Spencer showed up. In a month Spencer will be wrestling in his mom’s home county with his grandparents getting to see him for the first time. If he were to fall short again now, in a position that I’m not sure his body will allow him to get back to in four years would be a tragedy. So is disaster a strong word? Maybe. But I do know that suffering consistent heartbreaks the way Spencer has affect these athletes. If you don’t believe me, ask Terry where his bronze medal is.

Maybe but considering how close he’s been to reaching all of his personal goals in wrestling just to fall short again and again (because of his knee injuries). To fall short here would be difficult to overcome. It would be gut wrenching. I don’t want that to happen to him again.

Athletes are, often unfairly, defined by singular moments. In highschool Spencer was consider possibly the greatest highs school wrestler of all time. Injured his knee and lost his last match to ADS. We all know what happened in college. He was incredibly dominate in 90% of his matches. Had a chance to be Iowas’s first four timer, and in some way maybe start to erase the demons he picked up from high school. Again, we know what happens.

Fast forward two years and he’s wrestling without a leg brace and by all accounts is as healthy as he’s ever going to be. Wins the spot on the US team defeating a former Hawkeye that left Iowa, in part, because Spencer showed up. In a month Spencer will be wrestling in his mom’s home county with his grandparents getting to see him for the first time. If he were to fall short again now, in a position that I’m not sure his body will allow him to get back to in four years would be a tragedy. So is disaster a strong word? Maybe. But I do know that suffering consistent heartbreaks the way Spencer has affect these athletes. If you don’t believe me, ask Terry where his bronze medal is.
The simple fact that Spencer is in the discussion to win a gold medal after three ACL tears is unreal imo. He will look at it as a gold or bust situation I'm sure, but it really is remarkable that he has even been able to get to where he is with the injuries he has dealt with. Him winning gold, retiring, and joining Iowa's staff in some form is a dream scenario for me. If he falls short, it will be devastating mentally for him no doubt. One thing you won't hear him say is that his injuries were the cause of his shortfalls. Spencer's character has always been top notch. I'm greedy, I want six golds for the USA, starting with Spencer as the one I want to see win gold the most.

As much as I love Spencer Lee, I can't quite get to the point of sacrificing the rest of Team USA for his gold. But I don't expect either scenario to occur. I have USA's medal O/U at 1.5 gold and 3.5 medals. Maybe too much homerism, but I would not be surprised with both overs

By the way, I was able to convince the wife to go to Paris to watch. We have tickets for the two days when Spencer wrestles (tickets aren't cheap and that's the most I can convince my wife on before we do the Frenchy stuff for a few days). So we will see Spencer, Helen, and Brooks all the way through, plus part of Dake, Kayla, Mason, and most likely Dom's paths. Also some Greco, which I know nothing about but am interested to see live.

Anyway, I AM SO PUMPED I COULD RUN THROUGH A WALL!

Early fan of Spencer who attended most of his HS home matches, I can’t quite vote for “only” his gold plus 5 non-medalists (Zain’s one of my all-time favorites), but I’m crazy optimistic about his individual chance at the top step. Just really hope Uguev competes, to validate the result.
Uguev is officially out and this in no way invalidates Spencer’s gold, should he win it.
It’s going to be more advantageous to be drawn into the bottom of the bracket.
I think Spencers toughest 1st round draw would be a matchup with #4 seed Abakarov of Albania. He has excellent defense and a great slide bye.
It was noted #1 seed Micic hasn’t given up turn/exposure points from Par Terre in years.
#2 seed Higuchi could turn into a shootout. Spencer will be tested if he has to go a full 6 minutes.

Reactions: Aleric1
I feel more personally vested in Spencer Lee than I ever have any single athlete, ever, without question. I will cry one way or another next month. Not afraid to admit that. The Cubs in 2016 is the only thing that even compares personally. So yes, I would rather Spencer win and no other American win a single match. I doubt I am the minority around here.
I went to five games total in 2016. One in LA and Cleveland included. Don’t know if I’d ever see it happen again in my lifetime so I had to maximize it. It took a PowerPoint presentation to get my wife’s approval lol

Uguev is officially out and this in no way invalidates Spencer’s gold, should he win it.
It’s going to be more advantageous to be drawn into the bottom of the bracket.
I think Spencers toughest 1st round draw would be a matchup with #4 seed Abakarov of Albania. He has excellent defense and a great slide bye.
It was noted #1 seed Micic hasn’t given up turn/exposure points from Par Terre in years.
#2 seed Higuchi could turn into a shootout. Spencer will be tested if he has to go a full 6 minutes.
It won’t invalidate for me. It will for Lee’s detractors, though nothing guarantees another Uguev gold. Didn’t realize his ouster was official. Still wrong to force him out.
As for Micic, I can’t imagine any multi-verse where Spencer doesn’t beat him decisively. I will be more stunned if Spencer doesn’t medal than if he wins gold.

As much as I love Spencer Lee, I can't quite get to the point of sacrificing the rest of Team USA for his gold. But I don't expect either scenario to occur. I have USA's medal O/U at 1.5 gold and 3.5 medals. Maybe too much homerism, but I would not be surprised with both overs

By the way, I was able to convince the wife to go to Paris to watch. We have tickets for the two days when Spencer wrestles (tickets aren't cheap and that's the most I can convince my wife on before we do the Frenchy stuff for a few days). So we will see Spencer, Helen, and Brooks all the way through, plus part of Dake, Kayla, Mason, and most likely Dom's paths. Also some Greco, which I know nothing about but am interested to see live.

Have fun.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
As much as I love Spencer Lee, I can't quite get to the point of sacrificing the rest of Team USA for his gold.
world louis GIF

Spencer is the only one I actively care about one way or another so I'd take a gold for him even if everyone else loses. I guess it'd be cool if Dake won just to cap his resume since he had his one bad match last time around that spoiled it.

Reactions: el dub

giphy.gif

Damn, I can't believe I wrote wife twice without the no pics disclaimer! I might have to be the first guy in the history of this board to actually post them.

Maybe this board specifically but there used to be a guy on OT who constantly posted pictures of his wife scantily clad. She wasn’t exactly a 10. In the grand scheme of things she was probably OK but definitely not anything to brag about on an anonymous message board. It was funny stuff.

• Love
Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT