ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer?

I'm not worried about Lee but man I agree he looked disinterested in the match. He was not the aggressor and didn't seem to wrestle a very smart match. In my opinion you don't wrestle that guy in space (like Bressier)...crowd that kid and make him wrestle from ties. I was amazed there seemed to be no sense of urgency if you will. Again, I still think he wins a national title and no one losing completely shocks me....I mean Gable lost his last damn match....why anyone thinks anyone is unbeatable amazes me.
Go Hawks!!!

Spencer will be ok, he was just hitting the Pokémon circuit too hard in the offseason, he’ll round into shape.
4b50d8d9fc5fad113ff18265494bd80348b1a715_hq.gif

I know a few on the boards frequent the room and those who do probably weren't as surprised as some about yesterday.Spencer does tons of play wrestling in the room and not tons of intense training.I believe it's more about keeping him healthy and feeling good.That was a loss that Spencer needed and he will be better because of it.Sometimes you need a wake-up call and Spencers seem to happen at Midlands rather it happen in Dec then in March.He more than likely will end up with more NCAA championships then he will Midlands championships which I think he will be fine with.

I honestly thought he was toying with Rivera and was maybe looking to gain some experience in the bottom position, but like Brands said he didn’t flip the switch.

Maybe it’s conditioning, but I’m confident that Spencer figures it out moving forward.

People forget how Rivera rode him the entire second period then took him down twice in the third period in the dual last year, in Carver. I'm not concerned about Spencer. Even if Rivera beats him in the Dual or at Big Tens, Spencer will close the gap (talking about the score, I believe Spencer is the better overall wrestler) and beat him at Nationals. If he doesn't, that's ok, he will still likely go down as one of the best to wear the black and gold. Ive never watched a national champion in an Iowa singlet that I didn't like.

I definitely thought he was pacing himself in the 1st round as he knew it was going to be a full 3 period match. He got sloppy and taken down early and Rivera had the perfect game plan. For whatever the reason, he didn't seem to have the energy necessary to compete with world class wrestler. He will learn from this and get better - no doubt!
that's what I posted last night, he was trying to pace himself and that's not him. If you haven't got the tank, let it fly in the 1st.

Its hilarious reading all these comments from armchair coaches and wanna be analysts. Everyone has set the bar so high with Spencer and others that when they have a off night or rough stretch the program is falling apart and coaches need replaced, etc etc. He is human and a 19 year young man. It's possible he loses again. Its possible he still wins 4 National titles. He lost and its over with. Either way Spencer is still a human being and one of the best wrestlers in the NCAA.
Good post - one minor correction: He's 20, not 19.

Some people on here have legit access to certain details. It would match his appearance and energy level we just saw vs what we saw ending last year and what we are expecting.
It would explain a lot, I just wasn't sure if it was fact or speculation.

Sometimes you just get outwrestled. There doesnt have to be a laundry list of excuses like hes out of shape, disinterested, must have the flu etc etc for every loss. Its so ridiculous

Did SL look sick or listless in per 1 vs Glory or his matches leading up to and during the Midlands pre Glory?

I think SL will win the NCAAs again this year but its just so annoying to see so many not give credit to another top wrestler for outright defeating SL without some lame excuse attached to it

Sometimes you just get outwrestled. There doesnt have to be a laundry list of excuses like hes out of shape, disinterested, must have the flu etc etc for every loss. Its so ridiculous

Did SL look sick or listless in per 1 vs Glory or his matches leading up to and during the Midlands pre Glory?

I think SL will win the NCAAs again this year but its just so annoying to see so many not give credit to another top wrestler for outright defeating SL without some lame excuse attached to it

Yes he did actually. He looked like he got off his death bed vs ISU.

I think most comments are to the effect that Lee did not look right, which he didn't, nothing is being taken away from Rivera by saying that.

I think most comments are to the effect that Lee did not look right, which he didn't, nothing is being taken away from Rivera by saying that.
Think about that. Does SL only look right when he techs someone in the 1st period? Short of that, something must be wrong? Is it possible his opponent makes him not look right?

Look at the Glory match. Was SL off his game in the 2nd & 3rd period where Glory gave him the business? If so, how can their dual meet earlier be explained? Basically similar thing took place, Spencer dominated 1st period and Glory took over the rest of the way. Was Spencer off his game the 2nd & 3rd period of that match too? C'mon

Reactions: HeathForrester
Spencer will be fine. I think he doesn't put as much weight on these losses as a lot of the fans do. If he cared about being a 4x undefeated champ, then he wouldn't have came out of redshirt last year. The fact that he didn't compete in freestyle over the summer tells me that he isn't interested in winning everything he possibly can. I think he is fine with settling for 4 NCAA titles and 8 or 9 World and Olympic titles at the senior level. If he loses a few in season then so be it. Spencer is smart and he sees the big picture. He isn't just focusing on wrestling, but has aspirations beyond being a competitor as well. And as far as being ready when it counts.. do you really doubt him?

Unless he has a legitimate medical condition that we don't know about, there isn't a single wrestler in the country that I have more confidence in than Spencer Lee right now.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
Rivera had a plan, his coaches had a plan and it was executed. The strategy worked whether Spencer was healthy or not.
Those who actually watched the match believe Spencer wasn't the same. I would concur.
As far as Spencer's health it is possible to be feeling healthy one minute and sick shortly after.

So that's it? He ran out of gas. I guess that might happen when you never wrestle more than one period.
So that's it? He ran out of gas. I guess that might happen when you never wrestle more than one period.
Think about that. Does SL only look right when he techs someone in the 1st period? Short of that, something must be wrong? Is it possible his opponent makes him not look right?

Look at the Glory match. Was SL off his game in the 2nd & 3rd period where Glory gave him the business? If so, how can their dual meet earlier be explained? Basically similar thing took place, Spencer dominated 1st period and Glory took over the rest of the way. Was Spencer off his game the 2nd & 3rd period of that match too? C'mon
You and I must have different definitions of taking over. In the dual Glory got a reversal and ended up losing 18-2.

Reactions: Dagboi

Watch the match, notice how little Lee moves in neutral. Win or lose, that isn't the norm.

Spencer is not at 100% right now which impacts his ability to wrestle a complete match at a high level. Rivera had a game plan and executed it well. Glory is a damn good wrestler. I would be very surprised if the outcome is in Rivera’s favor in future matchups with Spencer.

Its hilarious reading all these comments from armchair coaches and wanna be analysts. Everyone has set the bar so high with Spencer and others that when they have a off night or rough stretch the program is falling apart and coaches need replaced, etc etc. He is human and a 19 year young man. It's possible he loses again. Its possible he still wins 4 National titles. He lost and its over with. Either way Spencer is still a human being and one of the best wrestlers in the NCAA.

Remember when Ruth lost to Dean in the Scuffle? I remember some fans hitting the panic button and tapping the "he's too lazy" well for the umpteenth time . . . yet, as was the pattern with The Truth, things worked out just fine.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison with the reaction we are seeing to Lee's loss, but close enough for me to believe the mole hill resembles a mole hill.

Spencer is not at 100% right now which impacts his ability to wrestle a complete match at a high level. Rivera had a game plan and executed it well. Glory is a damn good wrestler. I would be very surprised if the outcome is in Rivera’s favor in future matchups with Spencer.
If he was sick or not 100% then Id agree with you. Its always nice to know these things before a loss though. Maybe I missed it.

First thing Terry said to SL after first match of the day Saturday was “hydrate.” It’s clear to me it’s a nutrition/weight cut/stamina issue at this point. I hope he figures it out like last year but it concerns me it’s a pattern. Even if he was hospitalized due to illness a month ago, it’s a pattern. First half of both years he’s had stamina and “illness”/injury recovery issues. That cannot be denied. I’m ok with these issues if the trade-off is March glory. Just wish there wasn’t a trade-off. I give credit to Rivera. I find Glory’s excitement following a loss kind of funny considering he was an eyelash away from not making it out of the first.

1 month of not training and being hospitalized for an illness is the reason he had no energy. He looks smaller than he did at the beginning of the year. I'm pretty sure he has an easy cut right now. He just needs to get in shape.
If this is true, it explains everything. He was outscored in FIVE straight periods. That is not the same wrestler I've got on my avatar.

And isn't Warner his roommate? Maybe they had the same bug. Thinkin out loud

Reactions: 24 so far
Waaaaay off topic, but congrats to the football team for beating Miss. State. They've got better athletes, but we outcoached them.

Reactions: 10ACHAWK
If this is true, it explains everything. He was outscored in FIVE straight periods. That is not the same wrestler I've got on my avatar.

And isn't Warner his roommate? Maybe they had the same bug. Thinkin out loud

Cassioppi is his roommate.

Remember when Ruth lost to Dean in the Scuffle? I remember some fans hitting the panic button and tapping the "he's too lazy" well for the umpteenth time . . . yet, as was the pattern with The Truth, things worked out just fine.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison with the reaction we are seeing to Lee's loss, but close enough for me to believe the mole hill resembles a mole hill.

I do remember that. I love Iowa wrestling and a fan of wrestling in general. Just makes me laugh and irks me at the same time all the people saying this and that when it comes to losses, etc. These young men are balancing school, training, weight management and competing all at the same time. I was just as bummed as the next Hawk fan to see him lose and lose in that manner. But it’s just a loss. You live to fight another day.

And yes I do somewhat remember that with Ruth and Dean and you’re completely right about the aftermath of excuses and comments regarding that match.

I personally think that a loss is a good thing. It makes you hungry again and you hopefully turn off the auto pilot and get back in the drivers seat and march ahead to another National title

My 2 cents. I feel like it has nothing to do with conditioning. I believe it is his mind. We have seen many times in the last 1.5 years Spencer not finish matches. He tends to go out hard right away, dominate the 1st period and then coast. This appears to me to be more mental than physical.

I also believe that he will have a similar NCAA tournament in 2019 to 2018.

I believe Kyle Dake had a few puzzling losses during the regular season. He came out OK. If Lee is at 100% he wont lose unless he gets caught.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT