ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer?

Just watched the mic-d up video of Cody Brewer coaching Rivera during the match. Brewer is a good coach and I don't think the match was a fluke. They had a great game plan and Rivera executed perfectly. I think Rivera's gotten better since last season, and I think Lee had an off match. I still think Lee will beat him when it counts, but Rivera is a very legit high level opponent this season and will be a great challenge for Lee. I'm glad they wrestle 3 more times this year. This loss will make Lee better.

Rivera had a great strategy wrestling from a distance. He managed to be the aggressor the entire match even though Lee was the guy moving forward. He's quick and has a reach advantage on Lee. I'm excited to see how Lee adjusts next time.

Just watched the mic-d up video of Cody Brewer coaching Rivera during the match. Brewer is a good coach and I don't think the match was a fluke. They had a great game plan and Rivera executed perfectly. I think Rivera's gotten better since last season, and I think Lee had an off match. I still think Lee will beat him when it counts, but Rivera is a very legit high level opponent this season and will be a great challenge for Lee. I'm glad they wrestle 3 more times this year. This loss will make Lee better.

Rivera had a great strategy wrestling from a distance. He managed to be the aggressor the entire match even though Lee was the guy moving forward. He's quick and has a reach advantage on Lee. I'm excited to see how Lee adjusts next time.
Lee looked like he was not in good enough shape to handle a 2 day tourney. I bet 100 it is a major by big tens.

It's not just on top where SL is a beast, watch his FS stuff, kids got a few quick moves and tough defense that has not been on display this this year. This is not an excuse, not being in wrestling shape with the needed endurance to win is part of his overall skill. So far this year, his skill level has been below where he finished last year.

This certainly wasn't SL at his best, whatever the reason may be. When he's at his best, he's the best 125 in the country and he has proven that. As for giving Rivera credit, he went out and wrestled his match and Spencer wasn't able to change that, which is why he won the match. I'm glad he did some talking and celebrating after the match, he should enjoy it, I know I would. It's also probably pretty good motivation for Spencer next time.

Ironside was on 1600 in Cedar Rapids yesterday. Was talking about the Midlands and he said that Spencer has been sick, very sick, and has missed time and time in the room. He said he is the last person to make excuses for people but it is what it is. He has missed time in the room and has been sick. So it sounded like Ironside thought it was an issue. He also gave credit to Rivera and said he is a stud but Spencer just never got going in that match.

Great scouting report. Rivera is solid from afar. Just don't tie up with Lee. Easier said than done.

Ironside was on 1600 in Cedar Rapids yesterday. Was talking about the Midlands and he said that Spencer has been sick, very sick, and has missed time and time in the room. He said he is the last person to make excuses for people but it is what it is. He has missed time in the room and has been sick. So it sounded like Ironside thought it was an issue. He also gave credit to Rivera and said he is a stud but Spencer just never got going in that match.

Well that's that then. Mark doesn't make excuses or sugar coat things. IMO he is the voice of reason with this program because he isn't afraid to call things unacceptable.

Does this 1600am in Cedar Rapids have a certain show or podcast that Ironside is on every week?

Asking for us Des Moines folk. Thanks

Last edited:
Well that's that then. Mark doesn't make excuses or sugar coat things. IMO he is the voice of reason with this program because he isn't afraid to call things unacceptable.

Does this 1600am in Cedar Rapids have a certain show or podcast that Ironside is on every week?

Asking for us Des Moines folk. Thanks

I'm also curious if there is a podcast format for people who are unable to catch it live on the radio.

Ironside is on every week, and its my dad that sponsors the segment, which means Dukes/Unash will ask a question or two that he suggests. If you ever have anything specific you want asked, reach out and it will likely be on the show.

Nice! Sounds like we need to start a weekly thread of questions to ask Ironside.

Can you ask Mark... Do you think the 4 point Tilt should be taught more throughout the whole lineup or is it more of an individual things that only certain guys can do? Because Iowa has either guys great at it (Spencer Lee, Clark, Brooks, Evans, Dziewa for half his career) and guys in the past that as dominant on there feet as they were they didn't seem to have that capability in the toolbelt. (Gilman, Ramos, Marion?

In his opinion is the 4 point tilt stressed, practiced and valued in the Iowa practice room like it could be?

From my perspective it seems the kid either has that knack coming into the room or he doesn't. I cant honestly point to this staff and say this kid picked this tilt up in his 4 years in the Iowa room.

Last edited:
Reactions: YoungGun07
Nice! Sounds like we need to start a weekly thread of questions to ask Ironside.

Can you ask Mark... Do you think the 4 point Tilt should be taught more throughout the whole lineup or is it more of an individual things that only certain guys can do? Because Iowa has either guys great at it (Spencer Lee, Clark, Brooks, Evans, Dziewa for half his career) and guys in the past that as dominant on there feet as they were they didn't seem to have that capability in the toolbelt. (Gilman, Ramos, Marion?

In his opinion is the 4 point tilt stressed, practiced and valued in the Iowa practice room like it could be?

From my perspective it seems the kid either has that knack coming into the room or he doesn't. I cant honestly point to this staff and say this kid picked this tilt up in his 4 years in the Iowa room.

I'm told this question will be asked on the show this week. Most likely they will only ask one "sponsor" question per week.

Cheap plug- if you're looking for an insurance agent that's a wrestling fan- hit up Kurt Gustafson American Family in CR!

I hate the fact that guys are missing so much time, held out due to this or that, but this really makes me wonder why you would run him out there at all.

I get it guys aren't 100% all the time, but he was a shell of his former self the last 5 periods he wrestled in. ZERO pep in his step, though I presume they thought he could win regardless, but turns out not so much.

Well this is a case a coach can't win. Fans bitch if they hold out a guy and then like you just said wonder why they send them out. If it is a just some sickness hope can get some meds to fix it. Spencer if gets well will be fine.March is 8 weeks away plenty of time..

Well this is a case a coach can't win. Fans bitch if they hold out a guy and then like you just said wonder why they send them out. If it is a just some sickness hope can get some meds to fix it. Spencer if gets well will be fine.March is 8 weeks away plenty of time..
Not bitching about anything, or blaming anyone. Just seems odd to me that he wrestled, probably because he thought he could.

Had he known ahead of time he would look more like me, then himself, he probably makes a different decision!;)

Champions must wrestle through diversity anyone who thinks Spencer was at full speed is sadly mistaken the loss was just that a loss. He will learn from it and will come back stronger and smarter next match.
The best guys in the country all have slightly different ways of peaking and let’s not forget these guys are all around 20 years old And playing video games and such. I think spencer knows when the bright lights are lit up its game time and that’s in March. Dake was also not near his best till March.
I’m not taking anything away from Rivera he wrestled awesome and his leg attacks were lighting fast and precise. I believe he was at his peak for the match if he can maintain that throughout the season and into March he will be tuff to beat.

My 2 cents. Lee's losses to Bresser last year and Rivera this year had some similarities. Both opponents were very quick and unwilling to tie up. They controlled the tempo of the match. Stalling could've been called imho.

That said, Spencer looked gassed against both Glory and Rivera at Midlands. Both guys seemed to be able to get to Spencer's legs too easily. Hopefully this is just Spencer getting over something and is not in top shape. I thought he was relatively undersized last year, and think cutting weight is not the issue. Hopefully it's nothing related to an injury and with improved stamina and adjustments he'll be back on top.

My 2 cents. Lee's losses to Bresser last year and Rivera this year had some similarities. Both opponents were very quick and unwilling to tie up. They controlled the tempo of the match. Stalling could've been called imho.

That said, Spencer looked gassed against both Glory and Rivera at Midlands. Both guys seemed to be able to get to Spencer's legs too easily. Hopefully this is just Spencer getting over something and is not in top shape. I thought he was relatively undersized last year, and think cutting weight is not the issue. Hopefully it's nothing related to an injury and with improved stamina and adjustments he'll be back on top.

Not to be a dick, ironside just said what is wrong. Kid has been sick. No speculation, that is what happened.

Hard to call Rivera for stalling when he heavily outshot Lee. Lee was the guy going forward the entire match, but Rivera took shots as he was backing up from a distance. Lee has got to find a way to get to his tie ups and has gotta be quicker moving his feet on Rivera's shots. Lee is too comfortable scrambling out of takedowns. Works on most guys but against the elite opponents it's not as reliable.

Delgado vs McD....Delgado backed up and MCD never adjusted. Hopefully that wont happen again.

Hard to call Rivera for stalling when he heavily outshot Lee. Lee was the guy going forward the entire match, but Rivera took shots as he was backing up from a distance. Lee has got to find a way to get to his tie ups and has gotta be quicker moving his feet on Rivera's shots. Lee is too comfortable scrambling out of takedowns. Works on most guys but against the elite opponents it's not as reliable.

Rivera also backed up several times with both feet out of bounds with Lee not touching him. (Others do this too) To me this is the classic stall. If the stalker shoots he can rarely get a take down in bounds and they call an action while going out of bounds.

Rivera also backed up several times with both feet out of bounds with Lee not touching him. (Others do this too) To me this is the classic stall. If the stalker shoots he can rarely get a take down in bounds and they call an action while going out of bounds.
Agreed. When Oliver was a freshman at Okie State, he should have been stalled out in the majority of matches I witnessed, which wasn't a ton of matches, but you couldn't have reached him without diving anytime he was on his feet. That's stalling, all day, every day.

Reactions: hoythawk

Tom and Terry used to know how to make stallers look bad. Unfortunately, some wrestlers today want to take a breather when their opponent is stalling. I doubt a staller would have any luck whatsoever against a guy like Nolf. I'll bet Spencer turns up the heat when he able.

Gents- Give Rivera credit but also understand Spencer has/is fighting a mono like sickness and has been for a good portion of the season. His tank is not near what it will be in March, his strength is not near what it will be in March. Anyone that watched the match would say his feet looked like they were in cement. Heck, you could see the lack of definition in his muscles. We didnt see the effects of this earlier in the tournament but certainly saw it as the weekend went on. Kudos to Rivera but he will see the same beast he saw at 2018 Big Ten's later in the year.

I like watching guys who shoot from a distance if they actually shoot and get in scrambles. If all they do is back up, it puts me to sleep. I thought early on, Rivera tried shooting more and later he was just dancing. Lets hope Lee gets better. It sure seems like a form of mono to me, just from watching. That can be tough to overcome, but not impossible. He has 10 weeks roughly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT