ADVERTISEMENT

Squirrels and bird feeders

TennNole17

HB Legend
Sep 18, 2003
Aside from plinking them off, and suggestions to keep them away? I’m filling up once a week because they just make a meal of it.

They have those fun looking ones that spin squirrels off when they land- but read they are 1) expensive and 2) battery powered ((have to be recharged?)

I once bought an expensive bird feeder. Then watched a squirrel tarzan off it on the first or second day and break it.

I fixed it, and it worked for a while, but eventually got rid of it and don't do bird feeders anymore. Just bird houses.

This one I bought years ago worked well and didn't require batteries.

Unfortunately, while it fixed the squirrel problem, I was forced to remove it after it was later discovered by gang of ravenous goldfinches who would treated it like their private Waffle House, devouring $5-10 of sunflower seeds per day before I had enough.

IMG-4544.jpg

Had the same problem, so I got this "squirrel proof" feeder 7-8 years ago. First of all, there is no such thing as a truly "squirrel proof" feeder. The little effers are way too smart. But this one has done a great job keeping them out for the most part. Also does great at keeping birds like grackles off of it. The feeding bars are weight regulated. Can't remember where I got it. Did a quick search on Amazon and couldn't find it, so not sure. Have another feeder on a shepherd's hook with a kid's slinky on it. That works pretty well, too and kind of fun to watch the squirrels attempt it. Yeah, I need to mow. Fook that !

IMG-20240717-093144579-HDR.jpg

IMG-20240717-093122844-HDR.jpg

We use Safflower seed in our feeders. Squirrels won't eat it. Took me several bird feeders to learn this.

We scatter some wild bird food on the ground for the squirrels.

Reactions: TennNole17
Squirrels are as cute as birds, and have more personality. Just enjoy watching the squirrels being funny and climbing around "Mission Impossible"-ing down to the birdfeeder. They're earning what they get!

5254073092_ded469b478_o.jpg

intro-1699299392.jpg

d20dd94974e38ccdc3c84a910c6cfa10.jpg
The other morning- one had gotten the lid off and was face down in the tube. While impressive, it was also annoying!

You could also get some type of a pole type feeder and put a squirrel baffle below the feeder.

Once again, just needs to be at a distance where they can leap on it.

I have a 4x4 post in the ground with the below. They 100% can't get on it.

31vNnaHNpuL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: TennNole17
You could also get some type of a pole type feeder and put a squirrel baffle below the feeder.

Once again, just needs to be at a distance where they can leap on it.

I have a 4x4 post in the ground with the below. They 100% can't get on it.

31vNnaHNpuL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
I was thinking if I move it further out on the limb, I could use finagle a slinky down the chain to prevent them there

Reactions: Finance85
Squirrels are as cute as birds, and have more personality. Just enjoy watching the squirrels being funny and climbing around "Mission Impossible"-ing down to the birdfeeder. They're earning what they get!

5254073092_ded469b478_o.jpg

intro-1699299392.jpg

d20dd94974e38ccdc3c84a910c6cfa10.jpg

I had the same attitude at first. But some squirrels will literally sit there all day and empty the entire feeder. I can't afford $100 per week for sunflower seeds.

It's like when someone goes to an "all-you-can-eat" buffet and forces the place to close down because the restaurant can't afford it.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I don't understand people putting out bird feeders, I hate those damn things. We have bird blinders all over the back yard to keep those damn birds away. I see no reason to want birds shitting on my patio.

I don't understand people putting out bird feeders, I hate those damn things. We have bird blinders all over the back yard to keep those damn birds away. I see no reason to want birds shitting on my patio.
Your posts confuses me. You hate bird feeders, but have them all over the yard?

Mine is not on my patio?

My patio is screened in so problem solved.

Love watching the birds.

I had the same attitude at first. But some squirrels will literally sit there all day and empty the entire feeder. I can't afford $100 per week for sunflower seeds.

It's like when someone goes to an "all-you-can-eat" buffet and forces the place to close down because the restaurant can't afford it.
I did go to "cheaper" bird food that wasn't just bags of sunflower seeds because, you're right, the squirrels will get greedy and start hoarding the seeds for the winter. The "wild bird mix" seems to strike a good balance, where the squirrels will drop by for a snack, but most of the time it's just the birds out there eating.

Something like this:

s-l1200.webp

Just go 100% sunflower.

Don't get the mixed crap.

Get some suet as well.

And a water source.
I think the wild bird mix has been pretty successful There are different size/types of birds that seem to enjoy the different things in the mix. It's more of a smorgasbord now, than a single offering.

I think the wild bird mix has been pretty successful There are different size/types of birds that seem to enjoy the different things in the mix. It's more of a smorgasbord now, than a single offering.
One kinda cool thing (to me, at least) thing that's happened is that sometimes the seeds they drop sprout and start growing new plants. I've got maybe 6 millet plants growing, which I've let go. A couple have gotten to the point where the smaller birds will perch on the millet plants and eat the seeds from there: so, free (kinda) seeds!

Stupid House Sparrows like the mix. Millet is a junk filler if you ask me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT