ADVERTISEMENT

Starting UNLV QB takes redshirt over what seems to be an NIL dispute.

I am all for college players getting some scratch but this NIL stuff is getting crazy
r/CFB is reporting two different things.

1 Sluka's camp is saying that a party with UNLV offered him a certain amount and they are not honoring it.

2 UNLV camp is saying that another team is tampering and offering him $300k to redshirt and transfer at the end of the season and UNLV won't match it. Coach told him to clear out his locker.

Last edited:

1 Sluka's camp is saying that a party with UNLV offered him a certain amount and they are not honoring it.

2 UNLV camp is saying that another team is tampering and offering him $300k to redshirt and transfer at the end of the season and UNLV won't match it. Coach told him to clear out his locker.

College football 2024. What have we done?

Sounds like something the NCAA can investigate but probably won't

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

First scenario wouldn’t be surprising in this day

Second scenario is just gross and if that starts happening they might as well shut football down for everyone except 20 teams.

I can see it get to the point where an athlete comes up missing someday over this. People with money don't like being screwed over and like to set examples.

Reactions: Tom Paris

Second scenario is just gross and if that starts happening they might as well shut football down for everyone except 20 teams.
If it’s number two there needs to be a punishment for the tampering head coach AND the qb. It takes two to tango and the qb would not be a victim to go along with it.

Suspend them both as many games as the qb sits out before transferring.

Reactions: McLovin32
If he was promised money he didn’t get I can’t fault him for playing his cards accordingly.

If it’s tampering, I really can’t fault him for chasing money but it’s shitty. If people are dumb enough to offer kids life altering wealth I can’t berate the kids for taking them up on it.

Maybe all NIL offers need to be put in escrow in full and paid out to the player after they complete each season. If the kid skips town, the unearned portion is returned to the source.

Force transfers to sit out a year. Likely take some steam out of NIL donors.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the NCAA might have been right all along.

College football is starting to become the pros but with no draft and no salary cap.
Maybe but it’s not so much about them being wrong or right. The problem was the lack of foresight of what was coming. College football has become its own animal that can’t be contained by any regulatory body. It needed to just be separated from everything else and let the schools and conferences collectively set the regulations.

Reactions: Ree4 and ozzie8
Not shocked. It didn't take long for kids to say they weren't given what they were promised and hit the portal. Wasn't Tennessee guilty of this?

Maybe but it’s not so much about them being wrong or right. The problem was the lack of foresight of what was coming. College football has become its own animal that can’t be contained by any regulatory body. It needed to just be separated from everything else and let the schools and conferences collectively set the regulations.
I think anything loses in court.

NFL doesn’t limit what players can earn off the field in endorsements. NIL is essentially that.

That $22 million schools can now offer isn’t going to do a god damn thing to help. All it does is pull money out of athletic department for the non revenue sports. The determining factor for where the stud basketball or football players goes will still be that outside money. Because everybody is getting their piece of the $22 million.

While this situation is not exactly like this… it reminds me an opinion I had.. if a kid excels in his first few games at a lower level school, that aren’t paying him nearly enough; the kid decides he has enough game film, why play the rest of the season at the lower level school? Just risking injury and future compensation at that point.

The 2nd scenario is happening every day. I have a family member that plays D1 football and this shit is constant. Where there's money people will get greedy, scouts, high school coaches, assistants, agents.... list goes on and on.

I can't wait for the day when a team makes it to the national championship and the week of the game, they collectively say we're not playing unless we get $1 million each.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
Dude is averaging 106 passing yards per game. If someone is offering him $300K to transfer then I’d let them.

:)

hKalSv.gif

I think anything loses in court.

NFL doesn’t limit what players can earn off the field in endorsements. NIL is essentially that.

That $22 million schools can now offer isn’t going to do a god damn thing to help. All it does is pull money out of athletic department for the non revenue sports. The determining factor for where the stud basketball or football players goes will still be that outside money. Because everybody is getting their piece of the $22 million.
That’s why it needed to be its own thing collectively run by the schools and conferences as a mini-NFL. The NFL model works because each team is a franchise and the players collectively bargain. I feel like that’s where this is likely headed.

While this situation is not exactly like this… it reminds me an opinion I had.. if a kid excels in his first few games at a lower level school, that aren’t paying him nearly enough; the kid decides he has enough game film, why play the rest of the season at the lower level school? Just risking injury and future compensation at that point.
essentially a step up from sitting out of bowl games.

That’s why it needed to be its own thing collectively run by the schools and conferences as a mini-NFL. The NFL model works because each team is a franchise and the players collectively bargain. I feel like that’s where this is likely headed.
There is nothing close to equality in school revenue or donor funding.

A model like what you suggest would need a drastically smaller number of teams involved.

To even write up rules and regulations that would work and pass the smell test from a lawyer point of view would be insanely challenging.

“Don’t screw up my TV watching isn’t valid starting point”.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the NCAA might have been right all along.

College football is starting to become the pros but with no draft and no salary cap.
CFB is a thousand times worse than the pros. The NFL has contracts and rules and structure. CFB has total chaos.

CFB allows players to switch teams every year with no restrictions. There are multiple transfer portal windows every year. If the head coach leaves for any reason then other teams are free to raid that school’s roster.

Joe Burrow can’t just decide he wants to go play for the Saints next season.

If it’s number two there needs to be a punishment for the tampering head coach AND the qb. It takes two to tango and the qb would not be a victim to go along with it.

Suspend them both as many games as the qb sits out before transferring.
That would require that there's rules against teams tampering with players on other schools' rosters. I don't see that there are any rules, with all the teams convincing players to enter the portal and transfer to their schools. Seems like a big free-for-all, with the NCAA currently sitting back in a "see, we told you this would happen!" pose.

After watching coaches like KF for years running a dictatorship system, this is actually kind of funny. Sit back and enjoy the season.

CFB is a thousand times worse than the pros. The NFL has contracts and rules and structure. CFB has total chaos.

CFB allows players to switch teams every year with no restrictions. There are multiple transfer portal windows every year. If the head coach leaves for any reason then other teams are free to raid that school’s roster.

Joe Burrow can’t just decide he wants to go play for the Saints next season.
Kap doesn't agree.

Interesting, I was going to say, if it's the former, I wonder if he would be blackballed by other college teams with the goal of stopping such shenanigans. But hearing from the UNLV side, this makes more sense.

If he was lied to about NIL money, then good for him. Nip that sh!t in the bud across the country. I hope others follow suit if they don’t get what was promised.

If another school was tampering then I hope they get punished and he loses this year of eligibility for agreeing to it.

That would require that there's rules against teams tampering with players on other schools' rosters. I don't see that there are any rules, with all the teams convincing players to enter the portal and transfer to their schools. Seems like a big free-for-all, with the NCAA currently sitting back in a "see, we told you this would happen!" pose.
There are some rules somewhere because Kirk just got suspended for it. Don't know where you find these rules though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT