ADVERTISEMENT

State Income Tax No More In Texas

There is a reason why Texas is so protective of its oil industry. The state’s revenues off of oil justifies their no state income tax.
Every state would do the same, if they had the means. States can do whatever they choose to do. Hell, Alaska subsidizes it’s residents with oil revenues. I don’t believe there is a state income tax in Florida....I am sure the tourist pays a bulk of these fees for Floridians. Nevada does have an income tax either, does it?

There is a reason why Texas is so protective of its oil industry. The state’s revenues off of oil justifies their no state income tax.
Every state would do the same, if they had the means. States can do whatever they choose to do. Hell, Alaska subsidizes it’s residents with oil revenues. I don’t believe there is a state income tax in Florida....I am sure the tourist pays a bulk of these fees for Floridians. Nevada does have an income tax either, does it?

This. Unless the Texas government is slashing spending across the board and will maintain slashed spending, this isn't a tax reduction, it's just a tax change. If they need the money they had been collecting via state income tax, they'll have to pick that money up somewhere else.

There are seven states that have no income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. There are others that only tax certain types of income (a couple tax investment income but not earned income, some exempt retirement income...).

In Florida, the state constitution bans income tax. To me, it doesn't mean much. Government services cost money, and whether the government obtains it from income tax, sales tax, property tax, user fees, or whatever, it doesn't change the fact that services have to be paid for. Only thing it changes is the allocation of who pays what, and what you can do to minimize the impact to you financially.

This should insure the Democrats taking over in a few years. Do these people really not realize that nothing in life is free?

They have been operating without a state income tax for a while now. They basically just put it in their state constitution so it's harder to enact one.

I think it's a bad move for the long term personally. If the state ever needs it because say it's oil revenues run out they will likely have to cut off services until voters realize that you have to pay taxes to get government services.

There are seven states that have no income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. There are others that only tax certain types of income (a couple tax investment income but not earned income, some exempt retirement income...).

In Florida, the state constitution bans income tax. To me, it doesn't mean much. Government services cost money, and whether the government obtains it from income tax, sales tax, property tax, user fees, or whatever, it doesn't change the fact that services have to be paid for. Only thing it changes is the allocation of who pays what, and what you can do to minimize the impact to you financially.

Actually, it might mean more than you think. It seems to be quite a bit easier for politicians to tinker with income tax rates than sales tax rates or property tax millage rates.

I believe they have a pretty high sales tax rate too, last time I was in Houston I think sales tax was 8%.

Crap if that is considered high, in Indiana we have a state income tax of a little over 3% and a sales tax of 7%

They have been operating without a state income tax for a while now. They basically just put it in their state constitution so it's harder to enact one.

I think it's a bad move for the long term personally. If the state ever needs it because say it's oil revenues run out they will likely have to cut off services until voters realize that you have to pay taxes to get government services.

Or it could be a way to limit an explosion of government services.

They don't, and they didn't.

Property taxes are relatively high in Texas though.

True, it doesn't necessarily mean much. States have far more power to generate revenue through a variety of crafty means than the US Congress does. Hunting/fishing licenses, DMV fees, sin taxes, property taxes, fuel taxes, registration fees, sales tax, etc. I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface here, but I'm pretty sure under the last 10 years of Republican control here in Iowa that pretty much all of the aforementioned "hidden" taxes have actually increased substantially.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"never" is a long, long time. I raised a couple of kids...and that taught me to never say "never!"

I don't think they do either....must be all that dog racing revenue they enjoy! Or maybe its the parking concession money from Mt. Rushmore.
It’s one reason I wouldn’t mind retiring there. That and the hunting

jheltsj7x1x31.png

Will Democrats appeal this to the 9th Circuit?

This reminds me a little of the country club I belo g to.....Years ago, the BoD voted that seniors (over 65, I believe) who were members for 20 consecutive yrs. would be "exempt" from paying "monthly dues" because of their special standing at the club....so to this day, there are several "senior" members who play golf, use the facilities, etc at NO monthly due charge.........However, you ought to see
"the fees" that are assessed to all the members!
Several years ago, the Board saw the folly in their decision, so now new expenses are passed as "fees" and guess what......NO ONE is EXEMPT from fees!
In desperate times, there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Actually, it might mean more than you think. It seems to be quite a bit easier for politicians to tinker with income tax rates than sales tax rates or property tax millage rates.

In general, I don't have a problem with that. I'd prefer to not "box in" future elected officials, because I have no remote idea what issues they may face in 10..20..100 years.

I'm sure I am partly influenced by having served a few terms as a city commissioner in a small town, facing an extremely tight budget. I did the best I could, as did the other commissioners - but I still have second thoughts about some of the cuts that we made, even though it was 25 years ago.

In general, I don't have a problem with that. I'd prefer to not "box in" future elected officials, because I have no remote idea what issues they may face in 10..20..100 years.

I'm sure I am partly influenced by having served a few terms as a city commissioner in a small town, facing an extremely tight budget. I did the best I could, as did the other commissioners - but I still have second thoughts about some of the cuts that we made, even though it was 25 years ago.

I think fiscal responsibility is a great thing. Politicians seem to lose the value of money when they get elected. It's should be a tough thing to have to look people in the eye and tell them you are taking more of their money to fund something.

I think fiscal responsibility is a great thing. Politicians seem to lose the value of money when they get elected. It's should be a tough thing to have to look people in the eye and tell them you are taking more of their money to fund something.

What Texas voted on yesterday doesn't do that; it says "no matter what happens in the future, you cannot use income tax as a source of funds to pay for it."
The day before yesterday, politicians would've had to do as you say you want. They'd have needed to have open discussions, then voted to institute an income tax.

Reactions: hawkifann
What Texas voted on yesterday doesn't do that; it says "no matter what happens in the future, you cannot use income tax as a source of funds to pay for it."
The day before yesterday, politicians would've had to do as you say you want. They'd have needed to have open discussions, then voted to institute an income tax.

I was speaking in general in response to your other post. I was congratulating you.

No state income tax in Tennessee. Sales tax is 9.75%. Low property taxes. Public schools are terrible so those that can afford it use private schools. Secondary roads are bad , not very many sidewalks outside of downtown. Few parks and bike trails. You get what you pay for

Ya more dumb uneducated home school religious ****s who end up living off federal government money.

Florida taxes the tourists. So does Nevada. Most of the rest live off of oil revenue. Washington? IDK?

No state income tax in Tennessee. Sales tax is 9.75%. Low property taxes. Public schools are terrible so those that can afford it use private schools. Secondary roads are bad , not very many sidewalks outside of downtown. Few parks and bike trails. You get what you pay for

Short sighted and creating their own future problems...

The state is going to end up with a bunch of under-educated, poor, overweight residents because people want to save a few bucks. Which they will waste on cigs and beer.

Reactions: dekhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT