ADVERTISEMENT

Stats

Mohawkeye

HR Legend
Jun 13, 2002
Pemsl is hitting 75% of his FG. Let that sink in. That is amazing, certainly not something we can expect him to keep up but it certainly bodes well.

Moss is hiting 40% of his 3 point FG's. A small sample size, but very good for a freshman.

Bohannon is hitting 36.5 % of his 3 point FG's. Not bad for a freshman.

Jok is averaging 6.2 rebounds a game. I think this number will go up now that Moss is starting and he is defending the bigger guys underneath. Always thought Jok was a good rebounder. He is very strong, plays well with contact and has good hands. He may be the best rebounding perimeter player that we've had in my memory.

Pemsl has learned over the years to play a more horizontal game. He's fully capable of lots of dunks but many of his injuries have come when he lets himself get out of control in trying to go over the top of people, especially on a breakaway. The worst injury he had on the playing court was a couple of years ago in the high school district tourney when playing for Wahlert when he got a rebound and drove down the court with (now) UNI guard Spencer Haldemann of Western Dubuque in front of him. Pemsl went up high over Haldemann for a slam dunk and Haldemann stood his ground against the massive Pemsl who hit Haldemann on the way up and did a complete vertical flip in the air and Cordell came down horrifically hard on his head and shoulder on the floor at Nora Gym in Dubuque and didn't move or get up for minutes. Everyone could hear the "crack" when he hit and didn't know if it was the floor or Cordell's head. Many in the crowd thought that was the end of his career. After a few minutes a couple of trainers got him to his feet and dragged him toward the bench, when Cordell collapsed on them again and went down again for a few seconds. He never came back into the game, which Wahlert won by a basket, despite Haldemann's 44 points. There have been a couple of episodes like this, and I think he has finally learned he is not Air Jordan.

Pemsl is hitting 75% of his FG. Let that sink in. That is amazing, certainly not something we can expect him to keep up but it certainly bodes well.

Moss is hiting 40% of his 3 point FG's. A small sample size, but very good for a freshman.

Bohannon is hitting 36.5 % of his 3 point FG's. Not bad for a freshman.

Jok is averaging 6.2 rebounds a game. I think this number will go up now that Moss is starting and he is defending the bigger guys underneath. Always thought Jok was a good rebounder. He is very strong, plays well with contact and has good hands. He may be the best rebounding perimeter player that we've had in my memory.
I like the percentages from the freshmen. Jok's rebounding is what the team needs and I think he realizes that so he tries to provide it. That's what a leader does. However, I'm sure he and Fran would be happier if Pemsl and Cook led the rebounding both with +7 this year.

I'm impressed by Pemsl of course...he obviously is talented.

Cook, most athletic Big I have seen at Iowa.

Moss-- I like his ability to finish on fast breaks, overall athleticism.

Bohannon-- I like that he is making Free throws as well as 3pt'ers. Hopefullyhe improves his dribble drive game. If he can, he sort of reminds of that brust kid that Lickliter signed that went to Wisconsin.

Pemsl reminds me of Ethan Happ of Wisconsin. Technically solid basketball players who use good footwork and positioning to score. Don't need to have crazy size with crazy athleticism at the college level to succeed in the post.

No surprise that Pemsl had a Wisconsin offer.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Pemsl reminds me of Ethan Happ of Wisconsin. Technically solid basketball players who use good footwork and positioning to score. Don't need to have crazy size with crazy athleticism at the college level to succeed in the post.

No surprise that Pemsl had a Wisconsin offer.

I was thinking more along lines of Nigel Hayes. Maybe a hybrid of Happ and Hayes. Does show Bo/Wisconsin have always recognized that post moves seem to be a god given talent and you need to recruit it. No offense to Woodbury, but he never really had any post moves and it limited his effectiveness on offense.

I generally don't like to compare this player to that player but what I'm seeing, hoping may be a better word, is for Pemsl to be a Jared Sullinger from Ohio State type of player and that would be awesome.

Cook needs to learn patience from pemsl- as he spins too quickly and runs into people
Tyler is probably enjoying the new found freedom, of being out of the shadow of the black hole that was his teammate Jason Tatem. It may be good for Cook that he's getting a few weeks off to sit and watch the games now and learn. We'll see when he returns.

Coach Calhoun summed it up well regarding Pemsl and Moss. They understand their role and ability. They are not afraid to attack the rim.

Let's see these Freshman grow this year (especially on the defensive side of the ball) without the pressure of expecting a Big Ten Championship or Big Dance berth. They might surprise in Big Ten Tournament, but next year with the addition of Garza and Mc Caffrey, they will have a long bench.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT