ADVERTISEMENT

Still want more franwich?

Top half of BIG finishes 9 of last 11 seasons?
Dancing last 6 years if you include covid year when we were a lock?

I am frustrated also but Fran has found ways to be very competitive in the BIG the last decade.
Looks bleak right now, tho.

I'm seeing a lot of "Fire Fran!" comments on the board. I get the frustration with this team, and previous teams in the post-season, but this feels like getting rid of Davis in an attempt to move up to the next level, but ending up with Alford-Lickliter. If you fire Fran, I think it's more likely the program goes down than up. Fran puts a tournament team on the floor most years and it's a fun brand of basketball.

Last edited:
I've been ready to move on for the last several years, we had POY level players in Garza and Murray and still couldn't get pass the first weekend of the NCAA

He's had a nice run, beat up on a lot bad big ten teams and cupcakes and won a single BTT title but he's not taking Iowa to the next level.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of "Fire Fran!" comments on the board. I get the frustration with this team, and previous teams in the post-season, but this feels like getting rid of Davis in an attempt to move up to the next levek, but ending up with Alford-Lickliter. Fran puts a tournament team on the floor most years and it's a fun brand of basketball.
I've never had much fun letting teams make it rain from three while some no name has a career game which consistently happens under Fran.

I'm seeing a lot of "Fire Fran!" comments on the board. I get the frustration with this team, and previous teams in the post-season, but this feels like getting rid of Davis in an attempt to move up to the next level, but ending up with Alford-Lickliter. If you fire Fran, I think it's more likely the program goes down than up. Fran puts a tournament team on the floor most years and it's a fun brand of basketball.
You thought that was a fun brand of basketball last night?

I am frustrated also but Fran has found ways to be very competitive in the BIG the last decade.
We’re irrelevant and have been for decades. No reason Iowa b-ball should be such a shit-show every year.

Actually 5 years not 6 counting covid.

When Fran leaves there will he a downturn with the players a new coach would inherit

Reactions: Bee93
I've been ready to move on for the last several years, we had POY level players in Garza and Murray and still couldn't get pass the first weekend of the NCAA

He's had a nice run, beat up on a lot bad big ten teams and cupcakes and won two BTT titles but he's not taking Iowa to the next level.
Actually just one BTT title, but I agree with your post. Your first sentence sums it up for me. The Oregon game in the 2nd round was a kick in the crotch. The Richmond game kicked me when I was down. I've been done with Fran since then.

People always point to Fran getting us to the tournament most of the time. That's all well and good. Could things be worse? For sure. But Fran has done zippity doo dah in the post season these past 14 years.

I'll always be a Hawk fan but I'm ready for a change. But, tampa.. remember Alford/Lickliter. Yeah, I know. The next guy could be a downgrade, but I have no problem with rolling the dice. Fran has been solid, but hardly irreplaceable IMO.

Takes a couple generations to recover from Lick.

It’s the Big Ten. Unimaginable millions at your disposal.

Any coach doesn’t make the Sweet 16 after 5 years needs a come to Jesus meeting. If they sell you that they need more time, tell them they got two more years or they can consider themselves fired.

I think 5 years is plenty. Tell them that upfront.

Getting to tournament when you are in one of the wealthiest conferences= BFD.

Last edited:

Follow the trend without the Murray’s the last two teams would have been shit. And even with the Murray’s he could t get out of the first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Underscore2
What woulod IOwa

Any coach doesn’t make the Sweet 16 after 5 years needs a come to Jesus meeting. If they sell you that they need more time, tell them they got two more years or they can consider themselves fired.

What would Iowa be looking at for salary? I think Fran is currently at 3.2 M . 4M? 5M? More? Less?

The softserve has been consistent since day 1.

I'd take the job for just the ice cream, but I'd have to negotiate to include pregame and post game. And i'd look like the most dedicated coach around because I'd show up 8 hours early every game. One more thing, I'd need a unlimited supply of Tums.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I'd take the job for just the ice cream, but I'd have to negotiate to include pregame and post game. And i'd look like the most dedicated coach around because I'd show up 8 hours early every game. One more thing, I'd need a unlimited supply of Tums.
We can hook you up with the Tums. I think I have vats of a variety of hydroxides in my lab.

HopefullyFran will do the right thing and retire. Before it gets really bad. And firing him becomes a slam dunk.

I think we need to ride it out because once Patrick is done then Fran will probably be looking for a change. I think Fran's heart won't be in it once Patrick leaves and his youngest is playing somewhere else.

What woulod IOwa

What would Iowa be looking at for salary? I think Fran is currently at 3.2 M . 4M? 5M? More? Less?
Id say a similar salary as Fran with some lucrative performance bonuses. 3-5yr contract so we aren’t locked in very long if they don’t perform. With the portal, switching coaches and having immediate success isn’t nearly as difficult as when we hired Fran.
Bartas behind closed doors extension for Fran is biting us square in the ass right now. There’s a reason it was done in the shadows!

Getting to tournament when you are in one of the wealthiest conferences= BFD.
Even the round of 32 would be nice.

Reactions: NI hawk
I think we need to ride it out because once Patrick is done then Fran will probably be looking for a change. I think Fran's heart won't be in it once Patrick leaves and his youngest is playing somewhere else.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking as well. Plus, he’s lost the fans. Once that happens hard to swim against that tide.

Oh boy, here we go. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TailgateTom
Id say a similar salary as Fran with some lucrative performance bonuses. 3-5yr contract so we aren’t locked in very long if they don’t perform. With the portal, switching coaches and having immediate success isn’t nearly as difficult as when we hired Fran.
Bartas behind closed doors extension for Fran is biting us square in the ass right now. There’s a reason it was done in the shadows!

I don't mind the performance bonuses but I don't think we should start with fran's salary. I would say, find a coach and offer them 1.5% or double their current salary, but don't exceed fran's current salary.

Reactions: Slim45
No way, we don't have to deal with Barta now. And we have the portal. So I agree with start all over, clean house.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I don't mind the performance bonuses but I don't think we should start with fran's salary. I would say, find a coach and offer them 1.5% or double their current salary, but don't exceed fran's current salary.

Fran is the 12th highest paid coach in the B1G ahead of Pikiell and Ben Johnson. Next year, Pikiell will move ahead of Fran in salary.

Mike Rhoades walked into Penn St making more than Fran does today.

Fran's teams have generally had a relatively high floor and a low ceiling. Could it be better? I think so. Could it be worse? I think so. Are we trending closer to "worse" more than we are trending to "better"? I think so. Might be time to reenergize the program, but of course, that brings the risk that the program completely falls in the gutter. If the administration contemplates a change in the coming years, I hope they are willing to avoid half-measures in their hiring decisions.

Fran is the 12th highest paid coach in the B1G ahead of Pikiell and Ben Johnson. Next year, Pikiell will move ahead of Fran in salary.

Mike Rhoades walked into Penn St making more than Fran does today.

Just because others are stupid doesn't mean we should be. I say the coach needs to earn his high pay, not just get it for walking in the door. As I said in my post, Give the guy a raise from where he's at (even double his current salary if he's coming from lower division) but don't follow the stupid ways of other universities and pay him/her big bucks just for showing up.

If we look at what fran has been paid through the years, who got the better deal, Iowa and Fran?

Reactions: GOHOX69
Just because others are stupid doesn't mean we should be. I say the coach needs to earn his high pay, not just get it for walking in the door. As I said in my post, Give the guy a raise from where he's at (even double his current salary if he's coming from lower division) but don't follow the stupid ways of other universities and pay him/her big bucks just for showing up.

If we look at what fran has been paid through the years, who got the better deal, Iowa and Fran?
Coaching compensation is asinine. Even the lowest b1g underperformer makes more than most of us will make in their entire career.

Reactions: SB_SB and NI hawk

I’d say clearly Iowa has got the better of the deal here, paying bottom third pay for top half results 9 out of 10 years (or 10 out of 13 years). I’m not sure there’s much of an argument here. Two of those three non top half finishes were year one and two.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT