ADVERTISEMENT

STL Cardinals fans - why is Adam Wainwright in the rotation?

Today's debacle...

3 1/3 IP, 7 runs ("only" 4 earned). Cards lose 15-2 and the game was over before he got the 3rd out in the 1st inning.

I was actually stunned he got the start. I guess losing Woodford to the IL means they really don't have a guy to bring up.

If it sounds like I'm being hard on one of my all time favorite Cards...well, all I'm doing here is showing my frustration at seeing him go out this way.

It must be horrible for him...

I'm no expert, but I wonder if the Cards have thought about trying him in relief, a la Smoltz was done with the Braves.

Wainwright doesn’t really have “bell pen stuff.” 85 MPH doesn’t really play out of the pen.

Usually former starters pick up a few MPH in the pen because they don't have to save themselves for a longer outing.

But yeah, 88 doesn't exactly translate in the pen either as a short guy. Long relief at best, and I'd bet his recent location issues would only get worse.

I can't help but believe StL is hoping he'll make the decision easy for them. And the ASB kinda seems like a perfect time to do it.

Of course it turns out he’s hurting. Who would have guessed. A lot of H of F pitchers finished their careers with 5-9 5.00 ERAs in their last seasons. Bob Gibson for one…
He's stuck on 198 victories. I'm sure he would love to hit the 200 mark. I fear he won't make it.

Cardinals are looking to finish last in their division for the first time in 33 years. That's the year they fired Whitey (1990).

Woah, I didn't even see this until just now. AW got put on the IL with a shoulder injury that evidently has been bothering him for quite some time. My bet it it actually happened late last season when his numbers took a steep decline.

He evidently has "vowed to pitch again this season". To me, that's the kind of statement that hints at this may be an injury that under normal circumstances he probably wouldn't be coming back.

The ol' plow horse just didn't know when to shut it down...

When you trade Flaherty and Montgomery, and your system hasn't any viable replacements ready (hence most of the kids acquired in the sell-off being pitchers) - you have to push a Wainwright out there because you have no choice really.

St. Louis has finished in last place once I believe in my lifetime, 1990 if my memory is good. Something tells me this year will be the 2nd time.

Yay.

He’s trying to get to 200 wins. At 198 now. I doubt he gets there but they’re out of it this year, so let him try if he wants. He’s earned it.

I get that. I just believe it'd be easier on everybody concerned if he does it out of the bullpen in a "vulture" role.

I've honestly never seen St. Louis throw a guy out there that has absolutely nothing "end of career" like this before. It sort of reminds me in a way when Rick Ankiel lost it even though the circumstances as to why are completely different.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I had the Royals ML (+100) as part of a 4 leg MLB parlay that hit last night. So I thank Mr. Wainwright for his contributions.

I really wish he'd hung it up with Yadi and Pujols last year. This is tough to see. But he'd had a couple decent years heading into this year so I can see why he wanted another go round.

I really wish he'd hung it up with Yadi and Pujols last year. This is tough to see. But he'd had a couple decent years heading into this year so I can see why he wanted another go round.
Maybe they can push him into a middle-relief role when they get a lead in the top half of an inning. Get him on as pitcher of record for a few outs so he can get the W w/o starting.

Yep. It would have been the perfect time. I was stunned he didn't call it with those two even though for the most part he seemed to still be an effective pitcher. He had a bad season I think it was 4 years ago with some arm issues - and back then it looked like he might be done - but he got healthy and seemed to figure out a way to still be effective.

He had a pretty darn good season last year too - then (switch flipped) he suddenly just fell off the cliff late. Only this time, it truly does appear to be the end.

Reactions: JWolf74
Well Matz goes to the DL with a lat strain so Waino is going to still be out there. I was at the game and missed most of the first inning standing in line for a beer and a BBQ. KC workers suck. Waino doesn't personally care about 200, he'd have won at least 225 if not for missing the two seasons in the prime of his career. The number means nothing. WBC screwed the Cardinals up big time...

Yeah...injuries are piling up. Just been a lost year for the club. And it figures their most recent best starter and hitter go down now.

I would have thought Mo's carefully worded statements about Wainwright were a bit of a foreshadowing of him getting pulled from the rotation, but unless they're going to recall a kid to take his spot, Matz going down (Thompson replacing him) kinda ends that.

I smell a MLB debut coming shortly, maybe 2. They don't have much of a choice really.

Tonight against the Mets, 6 IP, 3 runs all earned. One of his best starts of the year. No reason to say anything is fixed because one of his other very few decent starts this year was also against the Mets - even when you stink, sometimes you just have another team's number during any given year.

But, he didn't burn the bullpen to smithereens, so that is a good thing. Too bad they are getting shut out though, so no win tonight.

Thought I read Cards are going to attempt sign 3 SP in FA. Honestly they should sign 6 :). Signing multiple FA SP. That u need to perform as front end starters is rarely a good strategy.

Apply that hindsight to your own take on this
I still think the three amigos should have all retired together vs prolonging things for one more year in the position that is arguably most impacted by age and wear/tear

Yeah...frustrating season all around. Injuries have definitely been a factor, but not an excuse - if your kids getting called up aren't ready, that's on the organization as a whole.

AW was decent enough for 4 innings, but unfortunately the wheels fell off in the 5th.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT