ADVERTISEMENT

Stop calling us weird memes and tweets

millah_22

HB Legend
Jun 15, 2004
Omaha
GToIRNBbYAA2Isv

GTqitcOagAA9gM_

I have zero tolerance for lectures from MAGAs on respect and civility.

****. Off.

Trump one hour ago:

Why is FoxNews putting on Crazy Kamala Harris Rallies? Why do they allow the perverts at the failed and disgraced Lincoln Project to advertise on FoxNews? Even Mr. Kellyanne Conway, a man so badly hurt and humiliated by his wife (she must have done some really NASTY things to him, because he is CRAZY!), is advertising on FoxNews. We have to WIN WITHOUT FOX!
https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/112871545419207012

They are undoubtedly weird - it's really an understatement - and the memes are funny. That said, is it good politics? Hillary was pretty accurate on her basket of deplorables comment, but did it help her?

Lib politicians AKA the educated coastal elites calling their opponents weird, probably isn't going to help attract back the working class/those without college degrees.

They are undoubtedly weird - it's really an understatement - and the memes are funny. That said, is it good politics? Hillary was pretty accurate on her basket of deplorables comment, but did it help her?

Lib politicians AKA the educated coastal elites calling their opponents weird, probably isn't going to help attract back the working class/those without college degrees.
How much does it get out of the political bubble though? Calling them weird is more or less trying to enthuse your base.

Disagree. We are just calling them weird. Not deplorables or drug addicts or low IQ or crazy. They. Are. Weird.

Besides, that working class / non college vote thing has sailed. About the only thing that may get a few of those folks to maybe hesitate is perhaps not wanting to be viewed as weird. I feel this whole thing is targeting suburban independents and moderate GOP types. They don’t want to be weird.

Educated midwesterner here calling the trump voters here and country-wide weird. We all know they are. They were never NOT going to vote for trump. Even the republicans who pretend they’re sitting the election out (cough, @goldmom). They can’t wait to vote for him.

Weirdos.

Let them take their medicine.

Disagree. We are just calling them weird. Not deplorables or drug addicts or low IQ or crazy. They. Are. Weird.

Besides, that working class / non college vote thing has sailed. About the only thing that may get a few of those folks to maybe hesitate is perhaps not wanting to be viewed as weird. I feel this whole thing is targeting suburban independents and moderate GOP types. They don’t want to be weird.

Yeah, that's fair. I certainly hope it works - I assume it was focus grouped/tested - and that's why it seems to be a consistent message from D political leaders.

It won't matter to normal people. How can the average person be offended by the "weird" label?

FWIW here's the meat of Friedman's concerns:

It is now a truism that if Democrats have any hope of carrying key swing states and overcoming Trump’s advantages in the Electoral College, they have to break through to white, working-class, non-college-educated men and women, who, if they have one thing in common, feel denigrated and humiliated by Democratic, liberal, college-educated elites. They hate the people who hate Trump more than they care about any Trump policies. Therefore, the dumbest message Democrats could seize on right now is to further humiliate them as “weird.”

“It is not only a flight from substance,” noted Prof. Michael J. Sandel of Harvard, author of “The Tyranny of Merit: Can We Find the Common Good?” “It allows Trump to tell his supporters that establishment elites look down on them, marginalize them and view them as ‘outsiders’ — people who are ‘weird.’ It plays right into Trump’s appeal to his followers that he is taking the slings and arrows of elites for them. It is a distraction from the big argument that Democrats should be running on: How we can renew the dignity of work and the dignity of working men and women.”

I don’t know what is sufficient for Harris to win, but I sure know what is necessary: a message that is dignity-affirming for working-class Americans, not dignity-destroying. If this campaign is descending into name-calling, no one beats Trump in that arena.

Weird is dependent upon the beholder.

That having been said, calling them weird is some genius level trolling because Republicans ultimately hate "weird" people.

They have always disliked very very strongly people who step outside of cultural norms. Being told they are that person is a devastating insult to them.

spa
Not that I would care about maga feelings at this point. But it's hard to know if that's just a lot of bluster or actually anything effective.

I would say the tricky part for the dems on this one is to not appear to be punching down much.

There's the class divide thing going on and if it looks like you're making fun of the less affluent, less educated magas on the basis of class that could kind of blow up on you.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Weird is dependent upon the beholder.

That having been said, calling them weird is some genius level trolling because Republicans ultimately hate "weird" people.

They have always disliked very very strongly people who step outside of cultural norms. Being told they are that person is a devastating insult to them.
NHL, uses it as a slogan. Let’s Get Weird

Republicans are now the circus freaks of politics. I always thought the purple haired weirdos would hold on to the trophy. Well done MAGA, you did it!
I think they are politically. (and I think some of that has to do with the more working class constituency the party has)

But culturally, not so much. The purple hairs generally aren't in politics.

The left usually doesn't let their weirdos ascend too high in politics. (that luggage stealing non binary guy not included)

FWIW here's the meat of Friedman's concerns:

It is now a truism that if Democrats have any hope of carrying key swing states and overcoming Trump’s advantages in the Electoral College, they have to break through to white, working-class, non-college-educated men and women, who, if they have one thing in common, feel denigrated and humiliated by Democratic, liberal, college-educated elites. They hate the people who hate Trump more than they care about any Trump policies. Therefore, the dumbest message Democrats could seize on right now is to further humiliate them as “weird.”

“It is not only a flight from substance,” noted Prof. Michael J. Sandel of Harvard, author of “The Tyranny of Merit: Can We Find the Common Good?” “It allows Trump to tell his supporters that establishment elites look down on them, marginalize them and view them as ‘outsiders’ — people who are ‘weird.’ It plays right into Trump’s appeal to his followers that he is taking the slings and arrows of elites for them. It is a distraction from the big argument that Democrats should be running on: How we can renew the dignity of work and the dignity of working men and women.”

I don’t know what is sufficient for Harris to win, but I sure know what is necessary: a message that is dignity-affirming for working-class Americans, not dignity-destroying. If this campaign is descending into name-calling, no one beats Trump in that arena.
I disagree with Friedman. There are 100 days until the election. If you haven’t won people over yet you’re not going to. The Harris campaign shouldn’t waste one minute trying to convert white working class “who hate people who hate Trump.” If you’re wavering between Trump and Harris you’re a Trump voter.

This election is all about turnout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT