ADVERTISEMENT

Stop calling us weird memes and tweets

FWIW here's the meat of Friedman's concerns:

It is now a truism that if Democrats have any hope of carrying key swing states and overcoming Trump’s advantages in the Electoral College, they have to break through to white, working-class, non-college-educated men and women, who, if they have one thing in common, feel denigrated and humiliated by Democratic, liberal, college-educated elites. They hate the people who hate Trump more than they care about any Trump policies. Therefore, the dumbest message Democrats could seize on right now is to further humiliate them as “weird.”

“It is not only a flight from substance,” noted Prof. Michael J. Sandel of Harvard, author of “The Tyranny of Merit: Can We Find the Common Good?” “It allows Trump to tell his supporters that establishment elites look down on them, marginalize them and view them as ‘outsiders’ — people who are ‘weird.’ It plays right into Trump’s appeal to his followers that he is taking the slings and arrows of elites for them. It is a distraction from the big argument that Democrats should be running on: How we can renew the dignity of work and the dignity of working men and women.”

I don’t know what is sufficient for Harris to win, but I sure know what is necessary: a message that is dignity-affirming for working-class Americans, not dignity-destroying. If this campaign is descending into name-calling, no one beats Trump in that arena.
Keep in mind that a lot of this content isn’t meant for middle aged married guys like you. It’s the work of younger people meant for younger people. Most Trumpers only see the content when they are shown it, they don’t find it on their own. It’s just the daily faux rage pushed on them.
I have my doubts about persuadable Trump voters. If the four years of dysfunction and the coup didn’t turn them I doubt that mean memes will prevent them from flipping to Harris.
This content hopefully drives younger voter enthusiasm at the polls and at networking.

Republicans realize Harris is a serious threat to win and is reenergizing a voting base that was seriously considering staying on the sideline in 2024.

If anyone thought the GOP played dirty in 2020...you ain't seen nothing yet.

But the Dems excellent voter turnout campaign will pay dividends, imo.

Republicans realize Harris is a serious threat to win and is reenergizing a voting base that was seriously considering staying on the sideline in 2024.

That 2am mail in ballot voter turnout is legendary I will admit.

That 2am mail in ballot voter turnout is legendary I will admit.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Seriously GIF by Leroy Patterson

Are You Stupid Neve Campbell GIF by filmeditor

What do you mean? Biden had 99% of the "voter turnout" in those after hour ballot counts in every single swing state? I was told that was normal and not at all weird? Now you're acting like it's weird? #MixedMessaging

• Haha
Reactions: Torg
They are undoubtedly weird - it's really an understatement - and the memes are funny. That said, is it good politics? Hillary was pretty accurate on her basket of deplorables comment, but did it help her?

Lib politicians AKA the educated coastal elites calling their opponents weird, probably isn't going to help attract back the working class/those without college degrees.
Not sure what you mean here because the people in those pictures will not vote before voting for a Democrat. Anyone who might be put off by calling those people weird, well, they weren't going to ever vote for Harris either. No point on wasting a penny or a minute trying to get them to suddenly change their minds. They aren't smart enough to realize which party has destroyed unions and their paychecks.

It makes me uneasy when a Heritage Foundation leader says things are happening behind the scenes Democrats don’t even know about. Some shit is going to go down at the state level in red controlled states, after the election is over.

Last edited:
It makes me uneasy when a Heritage Foundation says things are happening behind the scenes Democrats don’t even know about. Some shit is going to go down at the state level in red controlled states, after the election is over.

I have been meaning to start a thread about this. That ghoul who runs the HF is much too smug and confident while talking about this election

Weird is dependent upon the beholder.

That having been said, calling them weird is some genius level trolling because Republicans ultimately hate "weird" people.

They have always disliked very very strongly people who step outside of cultural norms. Being told they are that person is a devastating insult to them.
It is a good troll job. However, what is kind of “weird” is that Dems apparently can’t think for themselves, but rather need to be given talking point “marching orders” to fight the good fight. 😜

Reactions: doughuddl2
It is a good troll job. However, what is kind of “weird” is that Dems apparently can’t think for themselves, but rather need to be given talking point “marching orders” to fight the good fight. 😜
Very clever post.

I've been calling Republicans weird since the Tea Party days. Glad to see people are finally recognizing it. Oh, and Democrats are weird too but they embrace it. They don't bow down and worship a gold idle of Trump and then expect the rest of the world to pretend that this is completely normal behavior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT