ADVERTISEMENT

Stump that town - name a town in Iowa noone on this board has been

I've been to Bussey and there's a great restaurant in Attica( Kin Folks)

Has anyone in the previous five pages mentioned Delmar? It's a small, small town off 61 by Davenport.

THere's a few small towns off 21 that I would get gas in when driving between Kirksville and home. What Cheer was one of them, I think.

Lou, Unionville??? Just north of HWY 2, I would go through it to Kirksville.

Re: Hanlontown

Oh, scratch Hanlontown. Been there many a time.

Industry is booming; a new ethanol plant is being built in Hanlontown.

Is Unionville the little town with 3 roads leading south from downtown? I think I've been through there going around Bloomfield. Just North of Bloomfield you take a county road west for a few miles, hit a little town, go south on the third road, and hit 63 again. I think that town was Unionville, but I can't remember.

Watch out for the Amish, btw.

Re: Ballhawk

Bean I've been to Garrison and Mount Auburn...I think I've been in every town in Benton County...Elberon, I'm not sure on...

Not sure, I'd go through Moravia, then east to Unionville, turn right at the DK Station. Once I cross 2 it was through Moulton and Whatever the name of the place on the state line is. Bunch of dinky towns down in that area. I don't think I ever went there from the east, but it's not much bigger than 3 or 4 streets.

Anyone been through Swan, between Pleasantville and Runnells.

Placid
Fillmore
Bernard
Latnerville
Centralia
Graf
Stanwood
Osterdock
Otter Creek
Canton
Garryowen
Langworthy
Temple Hill
Greeley

Lou Hawk, I believe you're thinking of Drakesville, outside of Bloomfield. Unionville was south of Albia and north of Melton if my 15 year old recollection serves me correct. I used to drive from Granger, IA to Kirksville, MO back in the late 80's when I went to NMSU.

Kriegz, love hearing about all the stuff back around Fairfield. I lived there for a couple years after I graduated. Worked for Tommy Thompson at a little CPA Firm there. Coached with a Butch Vandersumthin in the Babe Ruth leagues and played fast pitch softball for a team out of Wayland.

HawkinSL, man I'm sorry. I promise to change my nickname to avoid future confusion.

Finally, my entry for small town is Bouton.

Yep, Graf is on the trail. Latnerville is about a mile away from Graf, but I don't know if its actually considered a town anymore. I know they have a church, but that's it.

I think the sarge nailed the location for Unionville. There must of been about 30 different routes from Des Moines to Kirksville and I think I tried them all in search of the "fastest humanly possible route". If I recall, there was a HUGE valley just north of Unionville. I could get my old piece-o-shit Omni 024 up to about 120mph going down that thing. Woohoo! good times.

Re: RAGBRAIers...

Fertile...old family friend used to own a bar there...he converted the old creamery into a watering hole, I believe. Long time ago...early 70's maybe.

Re: Ballhawk

Originally posted by pezhawk:
Bean I've been to Garrison and Mount Auburn...I think I've been in every town in Benton County...Elberon, I'm not sure on...

Who brought up Benton Co.? I'm from Van Horne/Benton Community, so I know all those places around there, too...

I remember VH being a RAGBRAI stop, too a few years back. Haven't been back into town since, I don't think...

Re: RAGBRAIers...

Albia......yeah, some cuties from there..

I ran into an Albia gal at the OB that's STILL a hottie....hadn't seen her in years til then.

Re: A Few More

Cyfaninlalaland
props! You have indeed seen Veo!

SL Hawk Fan
Butch VenDevelde (or something like that) I believe is his name. Also know of Tommy Thompson but don't know him personally. I know some of the boys from Wayland, and in fact played slow pitch for a couple years with guys from the Wayland, MtP, Washington area... ICS (?), I think that was the team name. Had unis and hats that looked like the Mets. I know the Ruggs, Tobins, Brokers ......
and BTW, I also attended NMSU for two years (91-93ish).
This post was edited on 12/4 8:26 PM

Re: Albia?

Albia has hotties? I've lived 15 miles from there my whole life, and Albia has never been known as a town for 'hotties' Joe...lol You must have found the exception to the rule!

Here's a couple I haven't seen: Melrose and Mystic anyone?? Still no response from anybody on Marysville or Hamilton!!!!

Re: Albia?

dunk94

you know Matt E., the head girls coach there at Albia?

good friend of mine. Mystic is familiar, I just can't place it. I go through Albia everytime I come home.

Re: Kriegz..

I don't know the coach down there. I live in Knoxville now and don't follow the HS stuff as closely (kids aren't to that age yet)..

Kriegz, it looks like you were in Kirksville about the same time I was in Fairfield (91-92). I didn't stay long but thought is was a really nice little town, though.
The softball team I played on was the Wayland Merchants and sadly the only name I remember was the pitcher, Ed Wood. Most of these guys lived outside Fairfield proper - mostly Germantown and other points north of town. We did play in Mt.P occasionally. I do recall one of the Fairfield teams in our fast-pitch league had an incredible pitcher who I believe threw a no-hitter in the Pan Am games (or some similar tournament) around that time. Man was he good.
I always got a kick out of that Maharishi U. Our firm actually conducted their annual audit, which I was in charge of. Some of those people were really "out there" or "up there" if you know what I mean.
Did you mention Bonaparte in your list of unvisited places for this thread? I once ate at little restaurant just off the river banks there. I think it was called the Grist Mill. Wow, that all seems so long ago.

Haven't seen:

Oto, IA - where my Dad grew up and luckily moved away from... because I've heard it's now rated the poorest town in Iowa or something like that?

Livermore, IA

SL Hawk Fan

that Bonaparte restaurant was a very popular place for HS promers to go dining (I went there both my junior and senior years)... if indeed we are talking about the same place. I'm not sure how many good restaurants there would be in Bonaparte! lol. Back in the 80s/90s it was known as 'Riverbend' I believe.

Forgetting the name of that FF pitcher is killing me, but yeah, he was a stud fastpitch guy. I've played a handful of fastpitch games but thankfully never had to go up against him.

and yeah, the Maharishi are indeed 'out there'
This post was edited on 12/5 4:43 PM

Here's a few that haven't been mentioned.....

Center Point (home of the "Pointers")
Olds
Gowrie
Lime Springs
Laurel
and last, but not least.....
Cincinatti (last town in Iowa before crossing the Missouri border)

Everybody missed my hometown - Wellsburg!

Also, Holland, Ackley, and this little gem on Highway 20: Austinville.

Re: Pitcher

Al Rebling- Played for Rebling Construction. Been to Pleasant Plain, Richland, and that Bonaparte restaurant but don't recall Veo. Has anyone been to Pittsburgh, IA (I think it still has a post office).

yes, Al Rebling ... he was a lefty wasn't he?

Veo has nothing but a small white sign, with 'Veo' painted on it ... it is more of an oasis than a town

Could have been. When I was a kid I went to a couple of their tournaments in Iowa (which AL dominated). He was a major stud. Do you know where Pittsburgh is, in that general area. I didn't want to give you a lay-up like Eldon or Douds.

can't say I've ever heard of Pittsburgh .... if it's in Southeast Iowa, I'd be shocked

It's a safe bet that I've been tanked in every town within a 30-40 mile drive from FF ...... Eldon and Douds included,
This post was edited on 12/7 12:30 AM

Pittsburgh, just outside Van Buren all gravel roads, good deer hunting around that area. Like I said, the post office might not be in service, but there is a post office building, well 10-12 years ago anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT