ADVERTISEMENT

Suck that, Bucky!

Feeling Good GIF by Ovation TV

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Wisconsin might make the sweet16 if they get a good matchup, bu more than likely out in Round of 32. They were never Top6 but they do have some decent players in Crowl, Hepburn, Wahl, Storr. Their guy Max Klesmit was shooting the lights out from 3 earlier in B1G and now he's in a slump. Sandfort shut down Klesmit stone cold today 2/10....you know a player is in a slump when Payton Sandfort locks hims down and blocks 2 or 3 shots.

Great W today. Good to see. Just need to keep winning and somehow get the Syracuse node with a 18-14 record or something similar to have a chance at getting into the tourney.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
My thoughts from a friend’ text thread:

This is really one of my favorite Iowa mens teams in recent memory.

I just like their energy for each other. This is a team that loves to compete for each other. Watch the bench. Every game, all game, these guys are pulling so hard for each other. I make fun of Sandfort but he’s a huge part of it. Just great enthusiasm and 100% a team guy. Watching these guys throughout the year, every game I come away thinking they, as much as any team in recent memory, deserve my support.

I root for every team every year because I’m an Iowa fan through and through, but I definitely feel myself rooting harder for this team, with little regard for positioning for any run at seeding, or wanting them to get ranked or stay ranked or any of that. I’m just rooting like hell for these guys simply because I want them to enjoy success, wins, and feel they genuinely deserve it.

/cab

Speaking of sucking, I hope they enjoyed Dix today!

8-11 from the field, 1-2 from three, 17 pts, 5 rebs, 2 assists in 38 min.
Yes, Dix has looked good since he got his early action last year. Steady and heady.

And how the hell was there no foul called late in regulation when Dix went way up in a crowd in the Wisky lane area after a rebound and he got clobbered, fell to the floor, and no foul called.

There were a lot of little bumps and grabs called as fouls and then they miss that.

Last edited:

I just like their energy for each other. This is a team that loves to compete for each other. Watch the bench. Every game, all game, these guys are pulling so hard for each other. I make fun of Sandfort but he’s a huge part of it. Just great enthusiasm and 100% a team guy. Watching these guys throughout the year, every game I come away thinking they, as much as any team in recent memory, deserve my support.

I root for every team every year because I’m an Iowa fan through and through, but I definitely feel myself rooting harder for this team, with little regard for positioning for any run at seeding, or wanting them to get ranked or stay ranked or any of that. I’m just rooting like hell for these guys simply because I want them to enjoy success, wins, and feel they genuinely deserve it.

/cab

I hear what he/shes saying. They’ve have some brutal losses, but there is definite growth there. Maybe a win like today is the one that turned the corner for them. Found a way to win after so many games they couldn’t get over the hump and close out. Harding played his best game of the year, he saved the Hawks.

Yes, Dix has looked good since he got his early action last year. Steady and heady.

And how the hell was there no foul called late in regulation when Dix went way up in a crown in the Wisky lane area after a rebound and he got clobbered, fell to the floor, and no foul called.

There were a lot of little bumps and grabs called as fouls and then they miss that.
Could not believe this wasn't called. He was thrown to the floor in clear eyesight of at least 2 officials. Unbelievable.

Just flip the stupid losses vs Michigan and Maryland at home and we are having a whole different conversation right now.

These 5 losses are killers.

Just win 3 of these 5 and we are sitting ALL ALONE in 3rd place in the B1G at 18-8, 10-5 (instead of 15-11, 7-8).

Home to #114 NET Michigan (90-80 L)
Home to #75 NET Maryland (69-67 L)
At #99 NET Indiana (74-68 L)
At #97 NET Penn St (89-79 L)
At #75 NET Maryland (78-66 L)

/cab
Watching Payton congratulate and bump chests with everyone afterwards, I tend to agree. And Harding adds a level of excuberance we’ve not seen since Nicholas Baer.

That Penn State game comes to mind as well. Suffice to say, there are several games that got away this year.
This season has been very frustrating for that reason. I expected a rebuilding year with the attrition from last year and 6 new guys this year; but to look back and see the coulda/shoulda games that Iowa's had - it's tough.

Massive win today to keep tourney hopes on life support.
Could not believe this wasn't called. He was thrown to the floor in clear eyesight of at least 2 officials. Unbelievable.
There were what? 4 guys on the floor in the end? even if only to call off-setting fouls with all that contact, for there to be no whistle blown is mind-blowing, and resulted in an open jumper for Hepburn that looked massive at the time.

Watching Payton congratulate and bump chests with everyone afterwards, I tend to agree. And Harding adds a level of excuberance we’ve not seen since Nicholas Baer.
Hell to the yes he does. Good comparison too.

I literally perk up in my chair when he comes in, and it seems the team perked up today too.

Yeah, Brock got bullrushed down low once, but otherwise I noticed on D he's turning his head constantly watching both the ball and his man. Good stuff (and why can't that be taught? Seems like 4th-grade fundamentals).

Reactions: Mohawkeye

And how the hell was there no foul called late in regulation when Dix went way up in a crowd in the Wisky lane area after a rebound and he got clobbered, fell to the floor, and no foul called.

Glad someone mentioned that non-call. Dix was thrown to the court. I guess the zebras didn't want to make Wahl sit down quite yet. Glad to see them call enough of his fouls to keep him in foul trouble. That had a huge impact on the game.

Iowa is a better team when Dix is on the floor on both ends. He usually takes the toughest match up on defense and holds them down. No one else was a good match up for Storr. Hawks are a much better team when Josh looks for some shots. He should take at least 10-12 shots every game.

This season has been very frustrating for that reason. I expected a rebuilding year with the attrition from last year and 6 new guys this year; but to look back and see the coulda/shoulda games that Iowa's had - it's tough.

Massive win today to keep tourney hopes on life support.

There were what? 4 guys on the floor in the end? even if only to call off-setting fouls with all that contact, for there to be no whistle blown is mind-blowing, and resulted in an open jumper for Hepburn that looked massive at the time.
It couldn't have been offsetting. Dix went straight up for the ball while being drilled from a Badger coming across.

Reactions: sober_teacher

/cab
I think this about almost all of Fran's team. Most of the players root for each other. They talk about how much of a family the teams are. Same for Kirk. Say what you want about their coaching styles, but how the players speak about them says volumes about their character and family atmosphere. (que A. Wadley, lol)

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Speaking of a family, when I watch Mulvey at the games, I sure do not see someone who is going to enter the transfer portal. It would sure be great to see him actual provide quality minutes at center next year.

Speaking of a family, when I watch Mulvey at the games, I sure do not see someone who is going to enter the transfer portal. It would sure be great to see him actual provide quality minutes at center next year.
Mulvey is not a center, neither is Freeman, both are forwards, technically.

Mulvey is not a center, neither is Freeman, both are forwards, technically.
Disagree. Freeman especially is confined to shooting around the basket. And his interior defense is stellar. Most forwards in Fran’s offense can shoot the 3 - that’s not Freeman. I’m not understanding why you wouldn’t call him a center.

Disagree. Freeman especially is confined to shooting around the basket. And his interior defense is stellar. Most forwards in Fran’s offense can shoot the 3 - that’s not Freeman. I’m not understanding why you wouldn’t call him a center.
Forward 20 years ago is a center today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT