ADVERTISEMENT

Summer League Baseball

funnyfletcher

HR Heisman
Apr 29, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
www.funnyfletcher.com
I was looking through the Northwoods League rosters and found quite a few Hawks on there.

LaCrosse: Mason McCoy, Luke Farley
Eau Claire: Austin Guzzo
Thunder Bay: Grant Klenovich
Waterloo: Zack Fricke, Daniel Perry, Robert Neustrom
Rockford: Drake Robison

Gotta be careful what I say Bagger. I don't think the reason was ever officially released, but it wasn't quite that serious. I've been told everything went well and he is expected to make a full recovery by mid-summer and will be working back on campus with Coach Brickman and the strength and conditioning staff.

Gotta be careful what I say Bagger. I don't think the reason was ever officially released, but it wasn't quite that serious. I've been told everything went well and he is expected to make a full recovery by mid-summer and will be working back on campus with Coach Brickman and the strength and conditioning staff.

Fair enough. Seems I'm preconditioned to think any arm injury is Tommy John nowadays.

I looked at Cape Cod rosters and saw no Iowa players this summer it seems.

I really like our roster but we don't have any top-end talents. Maybe next year if Neustrom displays the power he shows in BP or Farley finds a spot in the lineup.

Fair enough. Seems I'm preconditioned to think any arm injury is Tommy John nowadays.

I really like our roster but we don't have any top-end talents. Maybe next year if Neustrom displays the power he shows in BP or Farley finds a spot in the lineup.

You never know, I had/have no idea what someone like Gallagher would do during the summer.

Will Mason McCoy be back or gone
I'm hoping he comes to the same conclusions Booker did. But he definitely had a better Junior season then Booker did.

McCoy had very good finish to the season but he did struggle for quite a while. He comes back I would expect that he may have an even better offensive season than Booker did this year.

. But it will probably be hard for him to turn down money because he may never have better leverage than he will now

I'm hoping he comes to the same conclusions Booker did. But he definitely had a better Junior season then Booker did.

McCoy had very good finish to the season but he did struggle for quite a while. He comes back I would expect that he may have an even better offensive season than Booker did this year.

. But it will probably be hard for him to turn down money because he may never have better leverage than he will now

Booker was AMAZING his senior year, what did he hit his junior year? .220? .230?

Booker came back for his Senior season because he needed to. His draft stock has improved significantly because of it.

While McCoy struggled early in the season, the numbers over his last 20 games are very good. Couple that with what he did last summer in the Northwoods League and he will be looking at a signing bonus of around 200 thousand dollars. If he were to stay, even if he had the type of season Booker had this year, he would at best be looking at no increase in signing bonus money---and more likely a decrease.

I will be surprised if he returns for next year.

Booker came back for his Senior season because he needed to. His draft stock has improved significantly because of it.

While McCoy struggled early in the season, the numbers over his last 20 games are very good. Couple that with what he did last summer in the Northwoods League and he will be looking at a signing bonus of around 200 thousand dollars. If he were to stay, even if he had the type of season Booker had this year, he would at best be looking at no increase in signing bonus money---and more likely a decrease.

I will be surprised if he returns for next year.

Well then, where does that put Iowa with their roster? A completely brand new infield besides Daniels at 2B? Do we lineup like Klenovich/Guzzo at 1B, Daniels at 2B, Perry at SS, Woods at 3B? or are there guys coming in that will play right away at these positions?

Well then, where does that put Iowa with their roster? A completely brand new infield besides Daniels at 2B? Do we lineup like Klenovich/Guzzo at 1B, Daniels at 2B, Perry at SS, Woods at 3B? or are there guys coming in that will play right away at these positions?

Perry at short seems inevitable and I'm okay with that, especially after a year in the program. The JUCO infielder from Iowa Western seems to have enough versatility to play second or third so he may figure in someplace.

Brent and Tom gave one of the best UI Baseball detailed podcasts last week. Would recommend it.

Right now all anyone can do is take an educated guess.

1B--Guzzo/Klenovich (Klenovich really needs to improve at the plate to see more time) Don't know if Lindeman is still being projected at 1st
2B--Daniels/Boe/Hoeg (the IWCC transfer)---Daniels may transition to pitcher only
SS--Perry/LaRock/Crowl
3B--Woods/Hoeg/Judkins
LF--Farley/Ziegler (NIU & JUCO transfer can really cover a lot of ground)
CF--Pickett/Massner
RF--Nuestrom
C--Fricke/Cropley (IWCC transfer)/Kinzer

Perry has a cannon for an arm. The question is how productive he can be at the plate.

Brent and Tom gave one of the best UI Baseball detailed podcasts last week. Would recommend it.

1B--Guzzo/Klenovich (Klenovich really needs to improve at the plate to see more time) Don't know if Lindeman is still being projected at 1st
2B--Daniels/Boe/Hoeg (the IWCC transfer)---Daniels may transition to pitcher only
SS--Perry/LaRock/Crowl
3B--Woods/Hoeg/Judkins
CF--Pickett/Massner
RF--Nuestrom

Perry has a cannon for an arm. The question is how productive he can be at the plate.

A few things/questions....
-Klenovich does need to improve at the plate. He strikes out too much IMO.
-Is Pickett coming back? I know he is a RS junior?
-I figured Ziegler (if he isn't drafted) would play CF?
-Any idea on the pitching rotation?

I know Erickson is a RS junior, will he be back?. We have Gallagher back, Cole McDonald, CJ Eldred.

While Erickson and Gallagher have the endurance to be starters, it seems to me that they were better out of the bullpen.

Yeah Ziegler seems like a CF based on his speed. Not sure how he is defensively at all. He has great numbers though.

May depend more on Ziegler's arm. Pickett can fly and he simply may play better in center based on his arm.

non-poster may disagree but Farley has the bat to play first depending on the speed and/or arm of whoever is in left. Oh, and the glove. I guess that matters too!

May depend more on Ziegler's arm. Pickett can fly and he simply may play better in center based on his arm.

non-poster may disagree but Farley has the bat to play first depending on the speed and/or arm of whoever is in left. Oh, and the glove. I guess that matters too!

You pretty much covered all the pre-requisites there Bagger. ; )

The original hope of the coaching staff was that Farley and Nuestrom could provide a power hitting duo in the middle of the lineup. I haven't seen Farley play the infield in a Hawkeye uniform, but you raise an interesting point. He is a good enough overall athlete that maybe he could be a utility man. Either that or the regular DH.

Pickett made the comment he is planning to return for his last year of eligibility, so I was basing my hypothetical lineup on that. Regarding Ziegler and Pickett and where to play them, it very well could be an either or situation. Much like the last two seasons--Booker is a natural center fielder, but played in right last year to compliment Toole in center. This season Joblinski played in left (despite being a natural center fielder) to compliment Booker after he moved to center.

What it boils down to, is Coach Heller and his staff are now beginning to build some significant depth on the roster. Just like any sport, having multiple quality players is a good problem to have.

I'd be very surprised if Daniels starts or even plays that much at second base next year. in fact I'd be a little bit surprised if he doesn't end up just being a pitcher. I could be wrong but that's just me personal opinion

Reactions: funnyfletcher

SS--Perry/LaRock/Crowl
3B--Woods/Hoeg/Judkins
CF--Pickett/Massner
RF--Nuestrom

Now that we know McCoy is back we can put him at either SS or 3B. Getting him back significantly helps Iowa out.

Also, no offense to Woods or Pickett, but if they're the guys that see the most PT at 3B and CF then Iowa is going to really struggle next year at the plate. I think Ziegler gets the most PT in CF if he doesn't go pro. I also wouldn't be surprised to a lot of Grant Judkins at 3B if McCoy plays SS.

Reactions: icu81222
All possible Birdman. Sounds like McCoy priced himself out of the slot he was likely going to be drafted. Hopefully it pays off for him in the long run.

In talking with the coaches, if Perry can be productive at the plate he will be the SS. Woods is likely going to be a utility guy.

Updated Summer League Stats:

Mason McCoy - LaCrosse 69-224 .308/.380 41 R, 12 2B, 3 3B, 4 HR, 28 RBI, 18 SB
Robert Neustrom - Waterloo 58-195 .297/.344 26 R, 14 2B, 4 HR, 34 RBI
Matt Hoeg - Green Bay 44-173 .254/.303 21 RBI
Luke Farley - LaCrosse 9-59 .153/.231 9 R, 4 HR, 13 RBI
Austin Guzzo - Eau Claire 21-86 .244/.375 5 2B
Grant Klenovich - Thunder Bay 18-93 .194/.235
Mitchell Boe - Lombard 20-72 .278/.316 15 R, 5 2B

Drake Robison - Rockford 6-3 4.32 58.1 IP, 42 K, 9 GS
Shane Ritter - Lombard 2-0 2.45 3.2 IP, 6 K
Kyle Shimp - Lombard 1 IP, 2 K, 2 BB, 1 H

Couldn't find stats on Kyle Wade or Nick Allgeyer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT