ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa baseball

funnyfletcher

HR Heisman
Apr 29, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
www.funnyfletcher.com
The season is less than a week away, how do you guys think they'll do? I think the pitching staff will be very solid. Looking forward to seeing Adams at 1B, could be the first power hitter we have had in quite some time. Neustrom could have a big year, as should McCoy. Jenkins and Cropley will be a couple newcomers that could do well at CF and C.

Gallagher is going to be the Friday starter with Eldred going on Saturdays. Sunday is still up for grabs, good competition between Drake Robison, Grant Judkins and Shane Ritter.

Who's starting at 2B and 3B? I've heard good things about Whelan, is Guzzo still at 3B?
1B-Jake Adams
2B-?
SS-Mason McCoy
3B-?
LF-Luke Farley
CF-Justin Jenkins
RF-Robert Neustrom
C-Tyler Cropley
SP-Nick Gallagher, C.J. Eldred, ?
CL-Josh Martsching and Zach Daniels
Should be a fun season!

The season is less than a week away, how do you guys think they'll do? I think the pitching staff will be very solid. Looking forward to seeing Adams at 1B, could be the first power hitter we have had in quite some time. Neustrom could have a big year, as should McCoy. Jenkins and Cropley will be a couple newcomers that could do well at CF and C.

Gallagher is going to be the Friday starter with Eldred going on Saturdays. Sunday is still up for grabs, good competition between Drake Robison, Grant Judkins and Shane Ritter.

Who's starting at 2B and 3B? I've heard good things about Whelan, is Guzzo still at 3B?
1B-Jake Adams
2B-?
SS-Mason McCoy
3B-?
LF-Luke Farley
CF-Justin Jenkins
RF-Robert Neustrom
C-Tyler Cropley
SP-Nick Gallagher, C.J. Eldred, ?
CL-Josh Martsching and Zach Daniels
Should be a fun season!

I think Woods will be the opening day starter at 3B but Grant Judkins will see some action opening weekend. Chris Whelan will see time in LF and the infield. I'd guess Matt Hoeg starts Friday at 2B with Mitch Boe seeing a start Sunday.

Coach Heller mentioned Drake Robison in an interview last week for the Sunday spot so I'll guess he takes the ball this week. If Iowa can save Erickson for Sunday they should be in great shape to take at least two of three each weekend.

It sounds like most of Judkins' time so far has been preparing as a pitcher as one of the three competing for the Sunday start. Maybe he'll see some 3B this year, but he hasn't had as much time there due to the the pitching opportunity that exists.

It sounds like most of Judkins' time so far has been preparing as a pitcher as one of the three competing for the Sunday start. Maybe he'll see some 3B this year, but he hasn't had as much time there due to the the pitching opportunity that exists.

Thanks for the info! He looked pretty comfortable at the plate in the fall but I can't remember much of him in the field. Of course, I only saw on scrimmage so the sample size is quite small.

He has great bat speed and the ball makes a different sound when he hits it. He has some holes in the swing that he'll have to fix against D1 pitching, but I expect he will be able to do that with experience. He's a lefty, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was used as PH/DH.

Daniels played 2B last year. Will he continue or will he focus on pitching?? Assume he would do both but maybe things changing.

Weekly email from Heller today says Boe is the primary 2B. Whelan will.also get some time there in addition to LF.

Hoeg, Crowl, and Judkins will get time at 3B.

Guzzo will be the main DH.

Obviously, changes will occur over time as players play themselves in and out of opportunities.

Reactions: 2bagger22
My bad, for some reason I though he played some SS. Didn't have great offensive numbers.
That and his overall technique (footwork, release on the pivot, etc.) needed a lot of work...and he was more than a little resistant to change some of his sloppy high school habits. I wouldn't look for him to double as a position player in the future.

Ticket information for Iowa's games at the Dairy Queen Classic is finally available.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/022217aaa.html

Looks like tickets will cost $11 for adults and $8 for kids. You can get them on Ticketmaster.com, but I'd just get walk-up tickets the day of the game to avoid having to pay the annoying Ticketmaster fees. It's not like there's any chance of the games selling out.

Here's what US Bank Stadium will look like for baseball:

C5YJf_TVMAAttbV.jpg

The covered "dugouts" are interesting, perhaps they don't quite trust the roof yet.

The dugout being above ground look like a bit of an afterthought. Looks like there will be a rectangle of dirt on the mound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT