ADVERTISEMENT

SUPER EXTRA PUMPED about the defensive backfield this year.

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
I'm excited to see what happens here at DBU this coming season. Iowa has a physical 2 deep at the Safety position, good game experience and talent at the CB positions and some real talent showing up on campus over the summer. Having 2 guys really step up and become stars would be great. Obviously Hooker is a candidate, and I'm looking for either Rugamba, Ojemudia, or Hankins to star at Corner. Some solid talent coming off redshirt too!

Good stuff Harbinger... thanks for sharing

I'm excited to see what happens here at DBU this coming season. Iowa has a physical 2 deep at the Safety position, good game experience and talent at the CB positions and some real talent showing up on campus over the summer. Having 2 guys really step up and become stars would be great. Obviously Hooker is a candidate, and I'm looking for either Rugamba, Ojemudia, or Hankins to star at Corner. Some solid talent coming off redshirt too!

I'm starting to move into the Amani Hooker and Geno Stone at the safety positions camp. I know Snyder and Gervase have good experience but if either are playing ahead of Stone and falter one bit, I feel Geno must play. With the plays Stone made in limited action this past season and his weight gains, he may need to play straight out the gate anyway. We could use a second athletic, playmaking, Sanders-esque, bonecrusher lurking back there.

I will not be shocked by any combination of Gervase, Snyder, Hooker and Stone. But I expect that Gervase and Hooker start week 1.

I think that they will be more cautious with Snyder this time, but expect that when he is ready, he will reclaim his spot from Gervase.

You can’t leave Hooker off the field. Hope Snyder is back to full strength/speed.

I agree and really hope that Hooker is back there, if healthy, every game. He's too good to leave off the field. Should be Hooker and Snyder if both are 100%.

It was just the pessimism setting expectations low that we'll somehow start with Snyder and Gervase.

Low key would love to see Hooker and Stone, with Snyder in that LB/S hybrid role that's been kicked around. Not sure if it's realistic or any of the rumblings are true that they are looking at a position like that, but I'd like to see it.

I will not be shocked by any combination of Gervase, Snyder, Hooker and Stone. But I expect that Gervase and Hooker start week 1.

I think that they will be more cautious with Snyder this time, but expect that when he is ready, he will reclaim his spot from Gervase.
Yep, and I'll say it again, I'd expect Dallas Cradetth to play THIS year.....

Hooker is All B1G player at either LEO or safety. A healthy Snyder will put him at LEO. Geno will be ready to be an every down player. I love Dallas as much as anyone, but you are not playing safety at Iowa as a true freshman. I would guess Dallas and Geno will be your 2019 starting safeties w/ Amani playing LEO.

Hooker is All B1G player at either LEO or safety. A healthy Snyder will put him at LEO. Geno will be ready to be an every down player. I love Dallas as much as anyone, but you are not playing safety at Iowa as a true freshman. I would guess Dallas and Geno will be your 2019 starting safeties w/ Amani playing LEO.
Maybe not, but DC is a specimen right now, and he'll play some specials, and if the injury bug bites, don't be suprized to see him get some reps.

I can't imagine Hooker not starting. Trey Creamer is a sleeper right now but may burst on the scene if he gets the chance. Craddieth will likely get on the field and will be a gamer as soon as he does. Reload is a good word for our secondary these days!

Don’t forget about Josh Turner from Florida either he could sneak in there along with Creamer. I agree reload is a good term. Johnson I think has the physical attributes to contribute early as well. Brents I wonder which position he will end up at corner or safety I’ve read both. I think he’s on the slender side right now but gosh there is tons of talent back there.

I can't imagine Hooker not starting. Trey Creamer is a sleeper right now but may burst on the scene if he gets the chance. Craddieth will likely get on the field and will be a gamer as soon as he does. Reload is a good word for our secondary these days!
Hooker was the top safety coming out of the '17 season. Thus, if he continues to work hard and grow into a leadership role (as I'm sure Phil would expect him to) ... then I would look at Amani as being a top guy to beat at safety. The wild thing is that Amani played at both FS and SS in '17 - thus, Phil has a lot of flexibility about who to play.

The most fascinating question will be who will be the other top guy at safety. Geno Stone could easily be viewed as a top up-and-comer. Gervase developed into a rock solid performer in '17 ... but he'll need to continue to elevate his game in order to remain in the convo. Lastly, a healthy Snyder has both the tangibles and intangibles to solidly be in the convo to be a top safety. If you were to ask me today ... I'd probably project that our starting safeties in '17 would be Hooker and Snyder (assuming a healthy Snyder).

Given the need for depth AND given the fact that both Snyder and Gervase will graduate after the '18 season ... I agree that Craddieth will get to see the field. However, I foresee is primary path to field is through special teams and sub-packages (in that order).

The most interesting question will be our corner situation in '18. We'll have talent ... but the incumbents don't necessarily have a huge lead on the rest of the competition. The knee-jerk projection is to assume that our top two guys will be Rugamba and Hankins in '18 ... however, each of the aforementioned duo have a lot to prove in order to earn the tag as starting Hawkeye corner.

I know that Harrell got a look at WR last year - but I believe I've heard that he's subsequently moved back to DB. I don't know what to believe about his positioning ... but I do know that he's a guy who is built like a RB (read - short but quite strong) ... but he has pretty elite speed. Given Phil's pattern with "speed guys" ... he usually tries to get them worked in at corners first ... because it is ideal if we can have a DB who can run with fast WRs. Boswell is another guy who is reputed to have higher end speed.

Other guys in the mix will be Creamer, Turner, Roberts, Johnson, and Brents. I know some folks think that Brents is slated to see action at safety ... however, he seems to better fit the mold that Phil likes of long-and-lean DBs who he plays at corner (guys like Jackson, Mabin, and Hyde).

Harrell, Creamer, and Roberts are guys with pretty nice resumes at the skills positions on O too ... so I wouldn't be surprised if those guys get looks on O (if the need arises).

Anyhow, I agree with the assessment that the Hawks have some pretty intriguing talent at DB. Here's hoping that they can live up to some of that potential in '18!

Let' not forget about Snyder's run in with the law, we don't know if he still has punishment ahead of him or not

Last edited:
Michael Ojemudia tends to get overlooked but he is in a good position to battle for a stating CB spot. If he doesn't start, he is the next man in IMO.

I feel like Ojemudia is the long athlete who can excel the way Jackson did this past season. I hope he makes great strides this spring and summer and has a good year.
Michael Ojemudia tends to get overlooked but he is in a good position to battle for a stating CB spot. If he doesn't start, he is the next man in IMO.

I feel like Ojemudia is the long athlete who can excel the way Jackson did this past season. I hope he makes great strides this spring and summer and has a good year.
Phil Parker seems to hold him in high regard, at least publically, and said last Fall that he considered OJ a "co-starter". Rugumba and Hankins are certainly talented also. It should be a pretty good camp battle at CB.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Gervase came on very strong last season...he's a must have.
If every game is played on an ice rink then he should start. But it's not and he didn't play very well AT ALL last year before that game. He got beat A LOT in coverage and missed more than his fair share of tackles too. Hooker and Stone should start

I see Larry Tracy has issued a top five on Twitter. Still fishing for offers. Maybe he didnt blow up like he thought he might. Some goofer garbage posted on his page. I'm not gonna expect him coming back to swarm19.

Gotta give the staff some credit when it's due. We are all guessing, and who knows how it plays out, but we are all confident it will be a strong unit due to talent depth.

Crystal ball, but I’ll admit I didn’t see Amani being an early entree a year ago.

20 interceptions on the year, integral part of a top 20 rated defense and sending the B1G defensive back of the year to the NFL. Really like what we are seeing out of the db's year in and year out these days. The hard work and dedication of Phil Parker and his boys is starting to pay greater dividends. Looking back at the season there are several players emerging as the next great talents. Julius Brents, Matt Hankins, Riley Moss and Geno Stone appear to be the up and comers now. Its incredible the versatile talent we have.

20 interceptions on the year, integral part of a top 20 rated defense and sending the B1G defensive back of the year to the NFL. Really like what we are seeing out of the db's year in and year out these days. The hard work and dedication of Phil Parker and his boys is starting to pay greater dividends. Looking back at the season there are several players emerging as the next great talents. Julius Brents, Matt Hankins, Riley Moss and Geno Stone appear to be the up and comers now. Its incredible the versatile talent we have.
And you don't even mention Johnson, Merriweather, Cradieth and possibly Roberts. I was wondering about DE going forward. People smarter than me on here have floated don't be shocked to see Campbell and Hebert at DE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT