ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court Seems Ready to Back Web Designer Opposed to Same-Sex Marriage (Article)

I think you're more right than wrong. The reason for that is that Masterpiece and Fulton have already sort of sent the message that the regulators have to tread very carefully on a 'facts and circumstances' basis when it comes to enforcing public accommodations and other public benefits laws where religious objections may be implicated. As such, there's not 'really' a need for this case to be heard, other than a desire to try to establish a more categorical rule.

The problem (if that's the right word) is that putting together a categorical rule that is premised on free speech considerations rather than free exercise considerations could open up a real can of worms when it comes to defining what types of businesses actually involve "speech activity".

Well didn't the SCOTUS essentially punt on the Masterpiece case anyways by basically saying they discriminated against him because in the hearing they mocked his religion?

I think basically everyone is looking for a more definitive ruling and Alliance defending freedom saw that now was a good time to get that definitive ruling because of the court's composition.

Well didn't the SCOTUS essentially punt on the Masterpiece case anyways by basically saying they discriminated against him because in the hearing they mocked his religion?

I think basically everyone is looking for a more definitive ruling and Alliance defending freedom saw that now was a good time to get that definitive ruling because of the court's composition.
They did - they essentially remanded to the agency to let them let it die quietly, without saying in so many words "now that you've shown yourself to be a religious bigot, you can't really unring that bell going forward."

No doubt Alliance is looking for a case that just says, if speech is involved in the business, you can't invoke these laws. Period. If that's what they get, it'll create some new messes.

Reactions: franklinman
Same question as above. She doesn't like black people. Can she refuse service claiming that it would promote black people?
What religion would she be claiming that is part of their creed? I am not aware of any that would be recognized as a valid constitutional argument.

And again I would ask related to whether they are discriminating against black people would be do they have other clients that are say black that own a restaurant or other business they provide website services for.

Refusing to provide support for specific content to me is different than discriminating against customers based on race and/or orientation. In some cases it may overlap.

But let's have a gay couple go to them and request their website services for an online restaurant ordering business or some other business they provide service for already that is owned by a straight couple. Then if they refuse there would be a much better and more concrete example of them discriminating against gays.

Reactions: Nole Lou
And the service involves recognizable words and symbols which would imply a support of gay marriage.
The reality is that, at the least given Cakeshop and Fulton, the question of whether a business activity can involve "speech" that implicates the first amendment is a ship that has already sailed. Now, it is perfectly reasonable to argue about whether particular businesses involve speech -- or even if they do, whether that speech is reasonably attributed to the business rather than the customer -- but it's really too simple to just say public accommodations laws are completely unaffected by businesses that involve speech.

Same question as above. She doesn't like black people. Can she refuse service claiming that it would promote black people?

How does one promote black people in the general sense?

I mean she could refuse to promote a black person for elected office and she could refuse to promote BLM, we've been over this. I don't see how one "promotes black people" in the general sense like that.

If you have to create a message in support of A gay marriage you are implicitly supporting the idea.

The cake baker thing no one has ever been clear as to if they wanted a blank cake or if they wanted a cake with messages and symbols such as 2 men standing together.

I think he should be legally required to make a blank cake to flavor and size specifications because flavor and size arn't speech. Any decorations however are.
The couple in his shop never got a chance to tell him what they wanted. They never even looked through the book. He told them he wasn't baking a specific cake for a gay wedding regardless of any message. He refused to bake them a cake like this...

GettyImages-113269533-60e41fa5d6e34051b472f8b73f153d19.jpg

...which has NO MESSAGE AT ALL. He would object to this on his cake...

il_fullxfull.1907888889_bcam.jpg

...and it's completely gender neutral.

Last edited:

I mean she could refuse to promote a black person for elected office and she could refuse to promote BLM, we've been over this. I don't see how one "promotes black people" in the general sense like that.
How does one promote gay people? I don't see a difference.

What are you talking about? There is no "general sense". There is a test case involving a specific person or entity. The "general sense" derives from the ruling. The Lovings were convicted of violating Virginia's law banning interracial marriage. They took it to court. It was the SC that overturned the law based on that specific case. If this woman refuses to create a web site for a black candidate because she doesn't serve blacks, that person would take their case to court.

Now...if she can refuse to do work for a gay couple, why not a gay candidate? Why not a black person? Why not a Muslim?

What are you talking about? There is no "general sense". There is a test case involving a specific person or entity. The "general sense" derives from the ruling. The Lovings were convicted of violating Virginia's law banning interracial marriage. They took it to court. It was the SC that overturned the law based on that specific case. If this woman refuses to create a web site for a black candidate because she doesn't serve blacks, that person would take their case to court.

Now...if she can refuse to do work for a gay couple, why not a gay candidate? Why not a black person? Why not a Muslim?

She can refuse work based on the candidate because she doesn't have to support any candidate.

However she can't refuse work to a black/gay/muslim person that says "Come to my kid's birthday party at 2 pm" unless she has a specific problem with children's birthday parties. Any claim of that sort could be tested by seeing if she had done it for another person.

Reactions: RileyHawk
How does one promote gay people? I don't see a difference.

I don't see how you do that in the general sense either.

The closest I can think of would be a sign that say "It's ok to be gay" or I suppose you could put "It's ok to be black"

In terms of real world situations I'm not sure how one promotes black people or promotes gay people.

The couple in his shop never got a chance to tell him what they wanted. They never even looked through the book. He told them he wasn't baking a specific cake for a gay wedding regardless of any message. He refused to bake them a cake like this...

I would say that a cake with no message on it he should not be able to refuse service. However he can refuse to put any recognizable words and symbols in it including the J&M thing BUT the J&M thing has to be true with everyone. He can't sell that to a John and Melissa but refuse to sell it to a John and Matthew.

That's how I would see it anyways.

Bullshit. The whole case is literally about refusing service to gay couples.
An individual offering creative service -- website design, photography, etc -- should be able to discriminate.

Aren't non-incorporated freelancers able to do this anyway? What constitutes entry into the public business marketplace, exactly, anyway?

Last edited:
I feel quite differently about a large business vs what is essentially an individual offering a service.

That's where this thing turns, imo.

From my understanding this is not correct. He offered to have them choose any of the generic cakes but would not do a custom cake for them.

Reactions: HugeEddie
Holy fvck...so Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus because she was a troll? This might be the stupidest thing you've ever posted.

She sort of was for her time I guess. Sometimes trolling can be a good thing.

The difference here is that was a public bus and this is a private business.

I would suggest that they should have tried to get a public boycott against his business going rather then going in there specifically to be refused so they could sue.

Reactions: hexumhawk
She can refuse work based on the candidate because she doesn't have to support any candidate.

However she can't refuse work to a black/gay/muslim person that says "Come to my kid's birthday party at 2 pm" unless she has a specific problem with children's birthday parties. Any claim of that sort could be tested by seeing if she had done it for another person.
Political beliefs are not a protected class. The hypothetical was she wouldn't do it because the candidate is black and she doesn't serve blacks as part of her religious beliefs. But let's make it simple...how many women serve in the hierarchy of the Catholic Church?

She sort of was for her time I guess. Sometimes trolling can be a good thing.

The difference here is that was a public bus and this is a private business.

I would suggest that they should have tried to get a public boycott against his business going rather then going in there specifically to be refused so they could sue.
You really should stop.

From my understanding this is not correct. He offered to have them choose any of the generic cakes but would not do a custom cake for them.
That's what I said.

The couple in his shop never got a chance to tell him what they wanted. They never even looked through the book. He told them he wasn't baking a specific cake for a gay wedding regardless of any message.

Political beliefs are not a protected class. The hypothetical was she wouldn't do it because the candidate is black and she doesn't serve blacks as part of her religious beliefs. But let's make it simple...how many women serve in the hierarchy of the Catholic Church?

She can refuse to sell the sign because she doesn't like the candidate and she doesn't like the candidate because the candidate is black. So basically yes.

But that tangentially relates to the message in some way.

She can't refuse to sell him a sign that says "Come to my kid's birthday party at 2 pm" because he is black. She could theoretically refuse to sell it because she has opposition to Children's birthday parties.

No, you're not.

You're providing a customer a service.
Let me get this straight, the leftists on this board defend FB and Twitter, Google etc. saying they are private companies so they can censor whatever they want, they own the forums. But now a baker refuses to participate in a gay wedding or a web designer who refuses to design a web page for a gay organization, and you are now saying in those circumstances the private businesses don't have the right to refuse the work. Hypocrite much?

• Haha
Reactions: IAHawk2011
What about the baker's rights?

The main trouble I have based on cases like this, Hobby Lobby, etc.; the freedom of religion aspect of the first amendment is being increasingly interpreted to essentially mean that someone could theoretically say “religion” to get out of following any law they don’t like.

The woman in this case wasn’t even being sued yet, she’s preemptively challenging the state law on the basis that she MIGHT be challenged by this law in the future. That’s not the same thing as the Colorado bakery case imo.

Let me get this straight, the leftists on this board defend FB and Twitter, Google etc. saying they are private companies so they can censor whatever they want, they own the forums. But now a baker refuses to participate in a gay wedding or a web designer who refuses to design a web page for a gay organization, and you are now saying in those circumstances the private businesses don't have the right to refuse the work. Hypocrite much?

Well if nothing else those are over entirely different situations.

Reactions: Joes Place
Let me get this straight, the leftists on this board defend FB and Twitter, Google etc. saying they are private companies so they can censor whatever they want

They can censor what they want PER a policy applied equally to everyone.

Your Cake buddy isn't applying something "equally to everyone".

Can you link where Twitter told gays they cannot use the platform?
A: NO

That's what I said.

The couple in his shop never got a chance to tell him what they wanted. They never even looked through the book. He told them he wasn't baking a specific cake for a gay wedding regardless of any message.
He wasn't going to make a custom cake but they could buy any of the standard cakes. He didn't refuse to serve them, he refused to create the message on their cake. He would have refused to make a same sex marriage cake for a straight person as well.

Reactions: sober_teacher
For discussion purposes, let's change the scenario a little bit. Let's say Ye wanted the web designer to create a site that was plainly anti-Semitic. Should the web designer be able to refuse?

He wasn't going to make a custom cake but they could buy any of the standard cakes. He didn't refuse to serve them, he refused to create the message on their cake. He would have refused to make a same sex marriage cake for a straight person as well.
You're really off the beam here. He refused to bake ANY wedding cake for them. He had sheet cakes and layer cakes in the cases that he offered them. Ever been to a wedding where the cake was a sheet cake? They wanted a WEDDING CAKE so, yes, he refused to serve them. Period. Your idea of "service" is a bit odd...."No, I won't sell you what you want but you can buy anything in the bargain bin over there".

If the wedding cake has no message on it...no little people on top...no indication of who is getting married...a cake that he would make for a hetero couple with no questions asked, why wouldn't he make that SAME CAKE for these people? That's what he refused to do. He claims the act of making a wedding cake for a gay couple - even one with no message at all - violates his religious beliefs. His claim is that the cake itself is a message.

She can refuse to sell the sign because she doesn't like the candidate and she doesn't like the candidate because the candidate is black. So basically yes.
LOL...basically yes...and if a pattern of behavior is established demonstrating that she refuses to do work for any candidate because that candidate is black, she can be sued and she will lose. How do you think that's different from refusing to rent to black people because they are black?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
For discussion purposes, let's change the scenario a little bit. Let's say Ye wanted the web designer to create a site that was plainly anti-Semitic. Should the web designer be able to refuse?
The web designer can refuse to have anything to do with hate speech. The web designer can also refuse to do any wedding web sites.

LOL...basically yes...and if a pattern of behavior is established demonstrating that she refuses to do work for any candidate because that candidate is black, she can be sued and she will lose. How do you think that's different from refusing to rent to black people because they are black?

Renting an apartment doesn't involve speech.

If it were denying service to a gay person strictly, I would agree, but it's about service to a gay marriage, and people can decline having to serve that. Again, nothing to do with two people getting married
Would that mean a Methodist hospital could refuse to recognize the rights of a same-sex spouse and refuse visitation and other related rights? These lines can get messy fast.

Renting an apartment doesn't involve speech.
It's. Providing. A. Service. There is no speech involved in baking a generic wedding cake for a gay couple, yet the baker refused. Again - he claimed that act of making a wedding cake for a gay couple was a violation of his religious views. This ain't hard.

Who decides what is hate speech? You know that even hate speech is protected by 1A, right?
Huh? That just means the govt can't directly regulate it. A private business has no such restriction.

Do you people not understand how this works?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT