ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court won’t fast-track ruling on Trump’s claim of immunity

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Booooo:

The Supreme Court on Friday said it will not fast-track consideration of Donald Trump’s claim that he has immunity from prosecution for actions he took as president, a question crucial to whether he can be put on trial for plotting to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

The court’s one-sentence order, from which there were no noted dissents, means a federal appeals court in Washington will be the first to review a district judge’s ruling earlier this month rejecting Trump’s claim of immunity. Arguments are scheduled for Jan. 9.

Special counsel Jack Smith had asked the justices to short-circuit the normal appellate process and quickly settle the question of presidential criminal immunity, which the Supreme Court previously has not been called upon to resolve. He said public interest required intervention now, so the federal election-obstruction trial of Trump — the front-runner for the 2024 Republican presidential nominationcould proceed as scheduled in March.

“This case involves — for the first time in our Nation’s history — criminal charges against a former President based on his actions while in office,” Smith said in a filing to the Supreme Court. “And not just any actions: alleged acts to perpetuate himself in power by frustrating the constitutionally prescribed process for certifying the lawful winner of an election.”
Trump’s lawyers told the justices that the issue was too important to be rushed, and that Smith, by seeking to hasten the timetable, is doing the bidding of President Biden’s reelection campaign.
Smith “confuses the ‘public interest’ with the manifest partisan interest in ensuring that President Trump will be subjected to a months-long criminal trial at the height of a presidential campaign where he is the leading candidate and the only serious opponent of the current Administration,” Trump lawyer D. John Sauer wrote.

“The combination of an almost three-year wait to bring this case and the Special Counsel’s current demand for extraordinary expedition, supported by the vaguest of justifications, creates a compelling inference of partisan motivation.”
Trump is charged in federal court in D.C. with conspiring to defraud the United States, conspiring to obstruct an official proceeding, obstructing a congressional proceeding and conspiracy against rights — in this case “the right to vote, and to have one’s vote counted.” Each charge relates to Trump’s actions in the aftermath of his November 2020 loss to Joe Biden, including the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, which disrupted the counting of the electoral votes.

Trump's D.C. federal trial

It is one of four criminal cases Trump is facing. He was indicted in federal court in Florida, accused of mishandling classified documents after leaving office and obstructing government efforts to retrieve the material; in state court in Georgia over efforts to block Biden’s victory there; and in state court in New York, related to falsifying business records in connection to a hush money payment in the 2016 election.

Trump has denied guilt and tried to push his trials beyond Election Day in November. Smith’s latest legal gambit aims to keep the Washington trial on its current schedule. That would mean the trial would begin the day before the Super Tuesday primary on March 5. Polls show Trump far ahead in the contest for the Republican nomination.

Besides the question of Trump’s immunity, the Supreme Court separately has announced it will take up a challenge to a law used to charge hundreds of people in connection with the Jan. 6 riot — a charge that is also among those Trump faces in his federal election obstruction case.
The justices will examine an appeals court ruling, which said the government could prosecute Jan. 6 riot defendants charged under a federal law that makes it a crime to obstruct or impede an official proceeding — in this case, disruption of Congress’s formal certification of Biden’s victory. Scores of defendants already have been sentenced under the law.

A ruling that the charge cannot be used in the context of Jan. 6 prosecutions could impact hundreds of riot defendants, along with Trump himself.
And Trump’s lawyers say they will soon ask the high court to overturn a decision of the Colorado Supreme Court, which said the former president cannot be placed on the state’s ballot. It was the first time a court has ruled to keep a presidential candidate off the ballot under an 1868 provision of the Constitution that bars insurrectionists from holding office. The ruling comes as courts in other states consider similar cases.

It's really cool how the Supreme Court doesn't have to explain itself on anything. Maybe they do their court cases they rule on....but do they actually have to do that or do they do that as more of a courtesy?

At any rate, it's much better that the general public will be able to just fill in the blanks on their own on this particular decision.

The tea leaves I am reading think this helps Smith in the long run. It sucks short term but I don’t see the court giving any breaks to Trump if they are now letting the process play out as normal.

I could very well be wrong though.

Reactions: lucas80
It's really cool how the Supreme Court doesn't have to explain itself on anything. Maybe they do their court cases they rule on....but do they actually have to do that or do they do that as more of a courtesy?

At any rate, it's much better that the general public will be able to just fill in the blanks on their own on this particular decision.
Because the prosecution isn’t entitled to a speedy trial? If the defense made the request it’s probably granted. Of course Trump doesn’t have any interest in that.

The tea leaves I am reading think this helps Smith in the long run. It sucks short term but I don’t see the court giving any breaks to Trump if they are now letting the process play out as normal.

Smith wants to get the case in before the election. Looking doubtful at this point.

I think the only concern is Trump is re-elected and everything stops dead in its tracks. Otherwise, nothing changes.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Not really. The prosecution isn’t entitled to an expedited case.
Is that what he was asking?

I think he just wanted the SCt to answer the question of whether Trump is entitled to immunity. If not, then let’s go forward with the trial. If he’s immune, Smith can fold up shop - no point in continuing.

Trump just wants the ability to drag the appeal through the appellate court and then the Supreme Court, if necessary. He’s just trying to buy time and hope the election saves him .

I think he just wanted the SCt to answer the question of whether Trump is entitled to immunity. If not, then let’s go forward with the trial. If he’s immune, Smith can fold up shop - no point in continuing.

Trump just wants the ability to drag the appeal through the appellate court and then the Supreme Court, if necessary. He’s just trying to buy time and hope the election saves him .
He wanted to skip the Federal Appeals Court and go straight to the SC to expedite the case.

Jan 9th isn't exactly slow-boating this, either.

Reactions: franklinman
When the court is filled with a bunch of Republicans, it’s easier for them to not hear the case and default to the appeals court than to tell Trump that he loses.

Of course he’s trying to delay but the constitution is on his side in this.

Sixth amendment grants the right of a speedy trial to the defendant. If Trump had wanted the process expedited it’s probably granted.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

He wants to get it in before the party nominations are formalized; July, for the GOP.
Ok. He wants to expedite is the point. Which is understandable from his standpoint.

Trumps team doesn’t…which is understandable from their standpoint.

When the court is filled with a bunch of Republicans, it’s easier for them to not hear the case and default to the appeals court than to tell Trump that he loses.
That’s actually the normal process ping. Appeals court first. They’ll hear the case if it gets appealed to them after the Federal appeals court makes their decision

I scrolled across a liberal AP site saying that the Supreme Court had denied his full appeal, not "denied the fast track".

They pretty well know that the appeals court isn't going to cut him any breaks on this. Then they will decide to not hear the case and let the appeals court decision stand. This allows the same outcome without them having to get their hands too dirty and risk further angering Orange Jesus and his cult followers.

That’s actually the normal process ping. Appeals court first. They’ll hear the case if it gets appealed to them after the Federal appeals court makes their decision
Except when it isn’t. This court fast tracked a lot of cases, including Dobb’s and Biden’s student loan case.
However, I do take this to mean Trump’s case is weak, and they will let it play out. We should all expect to be bi-polar over the cases he wants fast tracked, and the ones he wants to languish.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Because the prosecution isn’t entitled to a speedy trial? If the defense made the request it’s probably granted. Of course Trump doesn’t have any interest in that.

This isn’t about the speedy trial aspect tho - it’s about Trump attempt to use immunity as a defense. With the official trial date set for March, I think it’s fair to have the question answered before then.

Instead, it goes to the appeals court, good chance Trump loses to the 3-person panel, he’ll then either appea to the full court and/or to SC. Trump wants to drag this out, Smith just wants to get the trial over.

Except when it isn’t. This court fast tracked a lot of cases, including Dobb’s and Biden’s student loan case.
Student loan forgiveness goes directly to the Supreme Court because it was executive order. No state to petition to for that.

Dobbs didn’t have to through the federal appeals court like Jack Smiths case does…correct me if I’m wrong.

This isn’t about the speedy trial aspect tho - it’s about Trump attempt to use immunity as a defense. With the official trial date set for March, I think it’s fair to have the question answered before then.

Instead, it goes to the appeals court, good chance Trump loses to the 3-person panel, he’ll then either appea to the full court and/or to SC. Trump wants to drag this out, Smith just wants to get the trial over.
Of course he wants to drag this out.

The next step in the process is the federal appeals court. That’s the process

The SCOTUS is probably experiencing Trump fatigue. They are going to get very busy on his appeals pretty soon.

Of course he wants to drag this out.

The next step in the process is the federal appeals court. That’s the process
And on occasion, the SC can exercise it's discretion to circumvent that process.

You know, I know, and everyone else knows, this defense of Trump's is going to be appealed to the SC in the end. Why not just take it up now and save everyone alot of time and effort.

CNN had a panel tonight including a former federal judge and they all agreed this does nothing but help Trump. They said the government may even have to drop the case as it gets closer to the election. I thought it was bad for Trump but apparently not.

And on occasion, the SC can exercise it's discretion to circumvent that process.

You know, I know, and everyone else knows, this defense of Trump's is going to be appealed to the SC in the end. Why not just take it up now and save everyone alot of time and effort.
And, if they rule against Trump he’ll demand IMMEDIATE action.

CNN had a panel tonight including a former federal judge and they all agreed this does nothing but help Trump. They said the government may even have to drop the case as it gets closer to the election. I thought it was bad for Trump but apparently not.
Fani Willis has said she only needs 30 days to get ready for a trial. And, Judge Marchand refused to give his slot up to Jack Smith knowing a delay was likely. The Manhattan case will start in March.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT