ADVERTISEMENT

Survey Finds 46% Of Middle-Class Workers Are Halting Or Cutting Their Retirement Contributions Due To Relentless Rise In Cost Of Living

50kWidowmaker

All-Conference
Oct 17, 2022
You can make it through high school, undergrad, grad school, professional school, etc. without ever having to take a course on personal finance or the tax code. Heck, math is a foreign language to most now. The outcome of shorting or neglecting to make retirement contributions is inevitable when the alternative is cutting vacations or cable.

What goods and services are you currently unable to afford?

Reactions: 3boysmom
Can’t people live within their means? In 1992 my bride and I purchased a $96k home in Iowa at a 8% mortgage rate. We were paying about $780/month PITI….with about 20% down.. That’s what we could afford. We remortgaged and remodeled a couple of times but always kept out “monthlies” reasonable…Just remember your basic public school math skills and use REAL numbers.
I answer this “SURVEY” with the same answer I heard folks give bankrupt farmers of the mid-‘80’s who were losing their farms at sheriff’s auctions…..”they are just poor managers”….

Can’t people live within their means? In 1992 my bride and I purchased a $96k home in Iowa at a 8% mortgage rate. We were paying about $780/month PITI….with about 20% down.. That’s what we could afford. We remortgaged and remodeled a couple of times but always kept out “monthlies” reasonable…Just remember your basic public school math skills and use REAL numbers.
I answer this “SURVEY” with the same answer I heard folks give bankrupt farmers of the mid-‘80’s who were losing their farms at sheriff’s auctions…..”they are just poor managers”….

What goods and services are you currently unable to afford?
Anecdotal

- trips for the kids snacks is now a full ass grocery bill. Juice, chips, snacks, etc used to run me what I considered a negligible amount. Now it’s about $100 bucks, I look at what I brought home and sigh.
- gas. I know this is a token talking point, but I’m gassing up three vehicles, and it just feels more
- car repairs. I don’t know if this is function of “parts” being more, or the labor. Either way, it’s gone up imo
- services cost more now- my trash pickup went up, my property taxes went up, my lawn service went up

All this is anectodol, I’m not smert enough to assume a president impacted it

Anecdotal

- trips for the kids snacks is now a full ass grocery bill. Juice, chips, snacks, etc used to run me what I considered a negligible amount. Now it’s about $100 bucks, I look at what I brought home and sigh.
- gas. I know this is a token talking point, but I’m gassing up three vehicles, and it just feels more
- car repairs. I don’t know if this is function of “parts” being more, or the labor. Either way, it’s gone up imo
- services cost more now- my trash pickup went up, my property taxes went up, my lawn service went up

All this is anectodol, I’m not smert enough to assume a president impacted it
You owe three cars and have someone mow you lawn and complain about not having enough money. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT