ADVERTISEMENT

SW Iowa town removes LGBTQ+ group from Labor Day parade

Yeah, I gotta say, when I think bigotry and prejudice - rural Iowa (or any other backwoods podunk area) pretty much hits the top of my list of offenders.

So you think 1960s rural Iowa would have been more agreeable to this parade entry?

Let me guess...Trump?
Not necessarily Trump, but the people he inspired to come out of the shadows. I haven't really heard too much from Trump about the LGBTQ community. The MAGA movement, however, has given bigots, conspiracy theorists, white supremacists, etc. a platform.

Reactions: McLovin32
WTF are you talking about?
Places and people change at different rates based on exposure and the generation of people.

Obama, a black liberal politician was somewhat recently against gay marriage. He changed his stance.

My guess is Lilly white rural America will take longer. Maybe they won’t until the older generation dies.

Amazing people like you can see a god damn thing about reality and time.

It’s all about finding some outrage and crapping pants 24/7/365.

Things are way better than just 20 years ago. 20 years ago even democrats were against a lot of things everybody takes for granted today. Like gay marriage. Marijuana would be another.

Way too many people act like nothing has improved since the 60’s. That’s simply not true, it’s only said to generate volume and noise for one political side or another.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Maybe the behavior the trans community puts on display at parades has led to people not wanting that show in their parade.

It was a super small town in Iowa, they don't want that shit and I don't blame them.

Supposed to be relaxing and a fun event, not getting people worked up.

It was a super small town in Iowa, they don't want that shit and I don't blame them.

Supposed to be relaxing and a fun event, not getting people worked up.
Except the only one that didn't want the group was the mayor.

He’s forgetting that shit keeps getting weirder. Eventually people turn on it

Weird? What are you talking about?

Family fun for ALL.

PRIDE.

bdsmtwitter.gif

It’s just a parade. Sheesh, I remember when people said “it’s just a statue” or “it’s just a name”.

I HIGLY doubt the mayor was the only one.

I live in a town with about 6k and the majority wouldn't want to see it either.

Are we all homophobes???

No, we just need to have rainbow flags thrown in our faces at every event and drag queens at story hour.
I live in a small town (pop. 5500) 20 miles north of Essex and there was a local LBGTQ group that walked in our Junction Days Parade in June. No one seemed to care.

I HIGLY doubt the mayor was the only one.

I live in a town with about 6k and the majority wouldn't want to see it either.

Are we all homophobes???

No, we just need to have rainbow flags thrown in our faces at every event and drag queens at story hour.
Maybe not all of them. But you and 99% of them certainly are.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Places and people change at different rates based on exposure and the generation of people.

Obama, a black liberal politician was somewhat recently against gay marriage. He changed his stance.

My guess is Lilly white rural America will take longer. Maybe they won’t until the older generation dies.

Amazing people like you can see a god damn thing about reality and time.

It’s all about finding some outrage and crapping pants 24/7/365.

Things are way better than just 20 years ago. 20 years ago even democrats were against a lot of things everybody takes for granted today. Like gay marriage. Marijuana would be another.

Way too many people act like nothing has improved since the 60’s. That’s simply not true, it’s only said to generate volume and noise for one political side or another.
LOL at that bunch of babble. There have always been bigots but they were in the shadows and generally kept their mouths shut. Now they've been emboldened and though they are the minority their voices are loud and the right wing listens to them. That's all happened in the past 7 years.

Most things have improved vastly since the 60s - that's a red herring you're offering up. This thing is not better since 2015 though. And that's the point here.

I don't like trans in sports but i love my trans friends. I think there's def a line between unfairness in trans in sports and excluding all LGBTQ bc "we don't want to see that in our town"
I don’t disagree, however feel like the trans team has irritated many logical thinking people with the push to participate equally, when it’s clear they are not. It’s not an attack on their rights.

I don’t disagree, however feel like the trans team has irritated many logical thinking people with the push to participate equally, when it’s clear they are not. It’s not an attack on their rights.
I think trans in sports is a complex discussion and excluding them from female sports is different from excluding them from a parade.

I'm not anti gay but a lot of the rainbow people are annoying attention whores and more similar to a group like, say, goths, than a real oppressed group actually fighting for anything.
Yeah, who wants groups looking for attention to be in a *checks notes* PARADE.

As usual, you bring idiocy to the table with your contrarian take.

Yeah, who wants groups looking for attention to be in a *checks notes* PARADE.

As usual, you bring idiocy to the table with your contrarian take.
I really don't think a lot of well meaning middle aged liberal sorts understand the rainbow people of today.

They're not the same oppressed group of yesteryear.

Yes, I am. I was born in 1950. I came up in the 1960's in rural Iowa. The two towns closest to us both had well know drag performers...it was considerd entertainment then. Iowa has changed even if you don't want to admit it. People think that what the other guy is doing is somehow their business now too. The "Try That In A Small Town" mentality thrives where the corn grows in Iowa.
There is a huge difference between a drag performance on a stage and what we are talking about. Do you think this parade entry would have been more accepted in the 60s? If so, then you really aren't being honest.

Imo they should have let the float go. It wouldn't have hurt anyone. People need to not be afraid of gay people.

If the gay community doesn't want to be lumped in with the trans community they should start speaking up more and separating themselves from that movement.

I really don't think a lot of well meaning middle aged liberal sorts understand the rainbow people of today.

They're not the same oppressed group of yesteryear.
I'm just laughing at you calling a group out for trying to get attention while participating in a parade.

I mean, what do YOU think parades are for and why do you think organizations participate in them?

THOSE DAMN SHRINERS - always trying to make it about THEIR cause in these damn parades!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT