ADVERTISEMENT

SW Iowa town removes LGBTQ+ group from Labor Day parade

Maybe not clarify - how about expound. Specially, your thoughts on the fact that bigotry and prejudice has long been a part of small town Iowa and continues to be a part of it. Any thoughts on if that’s good or bad?
Has it? Or is that your bigotry shining through? Those rural people sure are bigoted. And stupid.

You are the bigot

Has it? Or is that your bigotry shining through? Those rural people sure are bigoted. And stupid.

You are the bigot

Oh hell yeah, I struck a nerve baby…keep it coming bub.

giphy.gif

Maybe not clarify - how about expound. Specially, your thoughts on the fact that bigotry and prejudice has long been a part of small town Iowa and continues to be a part of it. Any thoughts on if that’s good or bad?

Do you think it's possible for someone to think that political and/or sexual themed parade entries should be restricted while at the same time not be a bigoted or prejudicial?

Do you think it's possible for someone to think that political and/or sexual themed parade entries should be restricted while at the same time not be a bigoted or prejudicial?

I believe we could argue semantics all day long. However, sure it’s possible. Hell, anything is possible. But if not some splitting hairs definition of the word prejudice, what do you think is behind this long time disdain for LGTBQ paraders in small town Ioway you’re asking folks about?

Surely you’ve got a thought or two on it - why would you waste so many posts on it?

I believe we could argue semantics all day long. However, sure it’s possible. Hell, anything is possible. But if not some splitting hairs definition of the word prejudice, what do you think is behind this long time disdain for LGTBQ paraders in small town Ioway you’re asking folks about?

Surely you’ve got a thought or two on it - why would you waste so many posts on it?
You're doing exactly what these idiots despise - asking them to answer reasonable questions. They will spin and deflect and make shit up but you're unlikely to get a real answer. It kicks their ass every time.

The other question to ask is why do they not object to the many political figures and organizations riding in a parade. But we already know that answer too.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
You're doing exactly what these idiots despise - asking them to answer reasonable questions. They will spin and deflect and make shit up but you're unlikely to get a real answer. It kicks their ass every time.

The other question to ask is why do they not object to the many political figures and organizations riding in a parade. But we already know that answer too.

Meh, I’ve got 20 more minutes of time to waste. They’re passing the time just fine.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I'm just laughing at you calling a group out for trying to get attention while participating in a parade.

I mean, what do YOU think parades are for and why do you think organizations participate in them?

THOSE DAMN SHRINERS - always trying to make it about THEIR cause in these damn parades!
Sure. They can participate in parades.

But these guys have a whole month. (And they keep expanding the boundaries of what they are so that can be more in the club)

And you can see their flags flying all month long in many major metro areas anymore. And then they have parades and events all month. (and all the stuff out of season too -- like gay hockey nights and etc)

What else, present day, do we celebrate this much? Christmas?

At some point we have to acknowledge that there has been a little -- well, a lot -- of mission creep here.

Part of the definition wrapped up in being a rainbow person anymore, seems to be the publicly advertising yourself as a rainbow person.

That's why I have to roll my eyes.

Can they be in the parade? Sure... is it important they are? Well...

If Essex is as redneck as some have said, it probably saved someone from catching a half a can of Busch Light on the melon by keeping the float out of the parade…

I’m too old for that stuff, barely drink anymore.

You didn’t answer the question however.

What is PRIDE?

And do any of those pictures have have anything do with it?
I would say Pride is how you define it.

Feeling free to revel in and express your sexuality as you see fit as long as it does not harm others.

The pics you clipped seem to fit into that framework to me.

I would say Pride is how you define it.

Feeling free to revel in and express your sexuality as you see fit as long as it does not harm others.

The pics you clipped seem to fit into that framework to me.

Acceptable in a community parade with children present? Acceptable with others present who want a parade free of displays of "sexuallity"?

The first thing that came to mind with your post, is that you just posted a few pictures of things that scare you.

Scare me? No, they don’t scare me.

Do I think they are freaks? Yes.

Before you jump all over me, I don’t think gays are freaks.

But people dressing up like dogs or getting whipped in the back of a vehicle in public are FREAKS.

Society isn’t any better with freaks.

• Angry
I’m too old for that stuff, barely drink anymore.

You didn’t answer the question however.

What is PRIDE?

And do any of those pictures have have anything do with it?
Pride is about not hiding who you love. For decades the LGBTQ community was expected to live in the shadows and deny their identity or risk jail time. Pride month is a celebration of what happened at Stonewall when the community said F this we're going to fight back and be visible. I don't get some of the outfits worn at Pride parades, but I understand the meaning.

The group in Essex just wanted to be visible so others in the small towns around know they're not alone.

Scare me? No, they don’t scare me.

Do I think they are freaks? Yes.

Before you jump all over me, I don’t think gays are freaks.

But people dressing up like dogs or getting whipped in the back of a vehicle in public are FREAKS.

Society isn’t any better with freaks.
Question: Have you ever seen anything like you posted in those pics in person? Or anything you listed here in person?

Because I haven't. I 100% fully support gays, trans, whatever the hell makes someone happy. Yet I've never seen anything like what you posted. Nothing even remotely close.

Question: Have you ever seen anything like you posted in those pics in person? Or anything you listed here in person?

Because I haven't. I 100% fully support gays, trans, whatever the hell makes someone happy. Yet I've never seen anything like what you posted. Nothing even remotely close.
Nope, I have not.

I live and spend the majority of my time in small time Iowa.

Are you in CR? No clue why I think that.

I’m close to CR and if I’m not in my town I’m in CR.

The PRIDE parades in large cities have what I posted.

Not for me.

You know what’s really funny?

Many on here probably think I’m against gays, but I’m not.

I actually support gay marriage.

I however don’t support some of the things that take place in PUBLIC at PRIDE parades.

Reactions: McLovin32
Nope, I have not.

I live and spend the majority of my time in small time Iowa.

Are you in CR? No clue why I think that.

I’m close to CR and if I’m not in my town I’m in CR.

The PRIDE parades in large cities have what I posted.

Not for me.

You know what’s really funny?

Many on here probably think I’m against gays, but I’m not.

I actually support gay marriage.
So not a general parade, got it. SMFH

If you don't want to go to a PRIDE parade, don't go. But also don't judge. Best you stay holed up in hickville.

ESSEX, Iowa (KMTV) — Essex, Iowa, population 700 or so, hosted groups from all across southwest Iowa for the Labor Day parade on Monday.

But one group that thought they would be participating, Shenandoah Pride, was instead left to watch from their lawn chairs.

They say after originally being told "all are welcome," they received an email on Thursday saying they wouldn't be allowed to participate.

The email reads: "Out of concern for the safety of the public and that of Essex Labor Day parade participants, the City of Essex has determined not to allow parade participants geared toward the promotion of, or opposition to, the politically charged topic of gender and/or sexual identification/orientation."

It continued: "This parade will not be used for and will not allow sexual identification or sexual orientation agendas, for or against, to be promoted."

The ACLU of Iowa responded strongly on Saturday with a letter saying that the city would be exposing itself to "substantial liability" by failing to rescind its prohibition. It said the denial came from Mayor Calvin Kinney.

The ACLU argued the decision is an infringement of Shenandoah Pride's First Amendment rights, and, similarly, Iowa's constitution. The ACLU's Sharon Wegner argued that City Attorney Mahlon Sorensen "confirmed for us there was no credible security threat."

Wegner also said no anti-LGBTQ groups planned to participate and a single-topic ban for both sides of an issue is still unconstitutional.

The letter says that the city council held a special meeting on Friday to discuss.

"The City failed, or was prevented by Mayor Kinney, to change course," the ACLU's letter says.

Jessa Bears of Shenandoah Pride, a new group, said the email from the city made it clear they weren't welcome.

"I was just really shocked," Bears said. "I wasn't expecting that at all. With a message that 'all are welcome,' I assumed we would be a part of it as well."

Shenandoah Pride had a booth at a park in Essex before the parade that had arts and crafts, stickers and cookies.

"We just want to show that we're here," she said. "There are queer people in southwest Iowa ... If anyone wants someone to talk to, we're here for that."

She says the group now has had more attention than they might've received otherwise.

"This is not the way we wanted to do it," she said.

They planned to have a convertible with a drag performer who uses the stage name, Cherry Peaks.

"I think it was a way for him (the mayor) to get out of it," he said.

He said the Essex community seemed to be supportive and said it's important to be visible so that LGBTQ+ people know they are not alone.

"If I would've seen people like me in the community maybe I would've been more comfortable with myself," he said.

We are not using Cherry Peaks' other name, because, after the interview with 3 News Now, he said he received a death threat.

Under the subject line "sorry to hear you missed the parade" it read that "some good old boy could have gotten a clean head shot and taken one more f****** aids infected f***** out of the world. well, maybe later." He said the FBI is investigating.

Certainly, not all in town are supportive of the group. One man told a 3 News Now reporter the decision is like Jason Aldean's new song, "Try That In A Small Town."

Others, though, showed their support. Some wore supporting shirts, a house had a rainbow sign in its front lawn, and a golf cart made to look like Mater from Cars had pride rainbows.

Mayor Kinney has not yet responded to a request for comment.

You do know this was a group of agitators, groomers and marxists from minisoda coming to town to raise hell, right?? Why is that fact left out??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT