ADVERTISEMENT

Sympathy for Israel plunges among younger voters: Poll

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Sympathy among U.S. voters for Israel in its war with militant group Hamas plunged among young voters, with more than half now expressing more sympathy for the Palestinians, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll.

The nationwide poll released Thursday found 54 percent of those surveyed said their sympathies lie more with Israelis while 24 percent said their sympathies lie more with Palestinians.

Overall sympathy for Israelis is down 7 percentage points from the last Quinnipiac University poll taken Oct. 17, when 61 percent said they sympathize with Israelis and 13 percent said the Palestinians.

But among voters aged 18-34, sympathy for Israelis plunged from last month and shifted to Palestinians.

The poll found a slight majority, or 52 percent, said their sympathies lie more with the Palestinians, while 29 percent said Israelis. This is a significant reversal from October, when 41 percent of these voters said Israelis and 26 percent said Palestinians.

The newest poll numbers come about five weeks since Hamas’s bloody assault on Israel on Oct. 7 that left more than 1,200 people dead, including hundreds of civilians. Israel launched a major campaign to eliminate Hamas, a U.S.-designated terrorist group, including airstrikes, bombings and more recently ground attacks in Hamas-ruled Gaza.

More than 11,470 Palestinians have died in the conflict, according to the Hamas-ruled Health Ministry in Gaza.

Israel’s continued bombardment of Gaza has sparked growing global pressure on Israel to halt its retaliatory attacks on the Hamas-controlled territory to allow civilians to leave or aid to be delivered.

Pollsters found 46 percent of voters approve of Israel’s response to Hamas’s Oct. 7 attacks, while 40 percent disapprove and 14 percent did not say.

This approval rating is slightly lower than Quinnipiac University’s poll from Nov. 2, when 50 percent approved of the response, 35 percent disapproved and 15 percent did not say.

The approval numbers are divided among party lines, with 73 percent of Republicans approving of Israel’s response and 18 percent disapproving, compared to 27 percent of Democrats who approve and 60 percent who disapprove. Independents are more evenly split, with 44 percent disapproving and 40 percent approving.

One of the biggest shifts came among young voters aged 18 to 34, with 66 percent disapproving of Israel’s response and 20 percent approving. Compared to Nov. 2, 52 percent disapproved and 32 percent approved.

“While Americans overwhelmingly believe that Hamas lit the fuse that set the region on fire, support for Israel’s devastating counterattack deteriorates with younger voters,” Quinnipiac University Polling Analyst Tim Malloy said.

When it comes to the U.S.’s support for Israel, a majority of voters, or 73 percent, said they think supporting Israel is in the national interest of the U.S. and 19 percent said it is not in the national interest. Quinnipiac University said this is “largely unchanged” since its Oct. 17 poll.

The poll’s findings are similar to those published in a Reuters/Ipsos poll the day earlier that showed Americans have less support for Israel than at the start of the conflict. The poll also found a majority of Americans now back a cease-fire in the war, which the Biden administration opposes.

The Quinnipiac University poll surveyed 1,574 registered voters from Nov. 9-13. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

Ok? Endless bombs on civilians and some hospitals can do that. Some polls think Trump wins. Same type of take.
Would you have supported FDR brokering a ceasefire with the Nazis to spare innocent German civilians?
If so, which year?
Or are you of the opinion that Germany had to be de-Nazified by force, even at the cost of innocent German civilians?

Would you have supported FDR brokering a ceasefire with the Nazis to spare innocent German civilians?
If so, which year?
Or are you of the opinion that Germany had to be de-Nazified by force, even at the cost of innocent German civilians?
Apples and Oranges as said per @Jimmy McGill but the leader of the GOP idolizes Dictators like Hitler. Fail

Hamas is evil as all get out. But when Israel responds disproportionally it just causes future conflict
Counter point, anything less than complete removal will only lead to more conflict later. I know you want to "apples ans oranges" the Germans and nazis but nobody got to say they were a nazi ( read hamas) after the war,

Reactions: hawkedoff
So you wouldn’t accept a ceasefire with the Nazis, right?
De-nazify the country is the overriding goal, and hundreds of thousands of civilians will die.

But it has to be done, right?
The GOP mirrors their current positions and strategy from Hitlers Germany. Stop posting.

It was the same during the Second Intifada, especially when Ariel Sharon was in charge; young people were more sympathetic to the Palestinians.

I was one of them until Israel pulled out of Gaza, and Gazans responded by electing Hamas as their government.

Apples and Oranges as said per @Jimmy McGill but the leader of the GOP idolizes Dictators like Hitler. Fail
Accepting your apples and oranges, I’m asking about the Nazis

Would you have argued for FDR to accept a ceasefire with the Nazis?
If so, what year?
Or do you think Germany had to be de-Nazified despite the incidental deaths of hundreds of thousands of German civilians?

I didn’t think it was a hard question, but you seem shy to answer it.

Germany surrendered. Read a history book
I’m well aware.
I could bore you to tears with details of WW2.

I’m asking you if think it would have been acceptable to lobby FDR for a ceasefire with the Nazis.
If so, what year.
Or did we have to de-Nazify the country despite the cost in the hundreds of thousands to innocent German civilians to ensure the peace?

I’m well aware.
I could bore you to tears with details of WW2.

I’m asking you if think it would have been acceptable to lobby FDR for a ceasefire with the Nazis.
If so, what year.
Or did we have to de-Nazify the country despite the cost in the hundreds of thousands to innocent German civilians to ensure the peace?
Trump loves strongmen like Hitler. Is planning on a purge of the federal government to install loyalists and literally led an insurrection on our Capitol. SHUT UP

Trump loves strongmen like Hitler. Is planning on a purge of the federal government to install loyalists and literally led an insurrection on our Capitol. SHUT UP
Bizarro territory that people are afraid to commit to the idea that the Nazis had to be taken out, in spite of the cost to innocent German civilians.

Is it really to scary to say anymore that it was worth taking out the actual, historical Nazis?

When did this become controversial?

Bizarro territory that people are afraid to commit to the idea that the Nazis had to be taken out, in spite of the cost to innocent German civilians.

Is it really to scary to say anymore that it was worth taking out the actual, historical Nazis?

Sorry, brother. No one seems to be taking the Nazi-equivocation bait. Better luck next time.

Yes you're at best bizarre.

Sorry, brother. No one seems to be taking the Nazi-equivocation bait. Better luck next time.
How is it ‘bait’ to say that the Nazis were worth taking out?
When did the cost in civilian lives suddenly make the ‘unconditional surrender’ pledge controversial?

Ok? Endless bombs on civilians and some hospitals can do that. Some polls think Trump wins. Same type of take.
Raping women, decapitating children, and dragging them behind pickup trucks in front to citizens cheering them on, can do that. How about Hamas, whose rape and murder and kidnapping, that is supported by 83% of the citizenry, release the kidnapped people? How about just releasing the kidnapped babies? Again, 83% of the people getting killed are pro-rape and baby kidnapping.

Now we see these same young mainstream Dems, poking fun at those innocent kidnapped people by mocking the kidnap posters and comparing the taken Jews to cows. October 6th, you guys pretended to be against this type of anti-Semitism. Truth is out.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
Unbelievable to see folks saying things like Israel’s response is too strong…if 20k Americans would have perished in 9/11….I shudder to think of what we would have done in Afghanistan…

Are civilian deaths an awful tragedy? Yes…but this is war….a war which Israel did not ask for on 10/7…the fight came to them. War is awful, but unfortunately happens.

I believe Israel has a right to defend itself.

Hamas is evil as all get out. But when Israel responds disproportionally it just causes future conflict
I'd say holding onto baby hostages and cheering raped dead women being dragged through town is causing the conflict. How about they release the hostages and see if the bombs stop? Holding onto them damned sure ain't working? What number is proportionate for decapatating babies and raping and parading women? What's a good number? Or should they have just kidnapped and killed and raped the same number?

Correct. I was all in on what Israel needed to do on 10/7 but the chaos today isn't helping their cause at all. Reminds me of GWB ****ing it all up after 9/11.
Helping what? 17 out of 20 people in the country support kidnapping and rape. Why don't you call for the return of the hostages? You guys act like you're so worried about "innocent civilians". You haven't said shit about returning the innocent civilians that were taken to start this whole thing. Quit siding with Hamas.

I'm not surprised, they've never had to sacrifice shit and spend their entire existence pissing and moaning about how unfair life is on whatever circlejerk digital platform of choice will allow them the largest audience to commiserate on.

They actually think it's unfair that a country that elected terrorists that carry out terrorist acts is getting its ass kicked

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT