ADVERTISEMENT

Taibbi nails it: The End of Facts in the Trump Era

Didn't read it, but as long as it acknowledges traditional news sources abandoning facts as well, I won't argue.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
For all of trump's bragging about what he is good at, and how good he is at it, we have to realize that his lies are the most abundant, the most outrageous, and the hardest for anyone, with a little bit of intelligence, to believe.

and you have your boogie man for the same period, the big bad media.
No, we've been told here for years lying is politics. However now the same people, and since you brought it up the same media, that ignored BHOs tall tales, exaggerations, and outright lies, are now wetting themselves over every possible falsehood they can jump on.

I'm not old enough to get the OJ analogy, but I suspect he is dead on, you don't win back supporter's by highlighting facts, they don't care. Maybe some will care again in four years, but for now, it's over.

Sshhhh, they have their talking points for the next 4 years, don't interrupt.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to not recognize the entire new level of lying that Trump has brought. And you have to be a special kind of stupid to not recognize that traditional media is far more reliable than alternative media. It's one thing to claim bias, it's another to claim complete unreliability.

People like you are simply giving yourself permission to ignore facts by claiming anything you read in traditional media is false. Which is exactly what the OP is discussing. A willful and deliberate ignoring of anything factual.

Let me ask you. Did Donald Trump receive a letter from the NFL complaining that the debates conflicted with the NFL schedule?

"America's first great post-factual tragedy, the O.J. Simpson trial."
Please - read some history -

Salem witch trials
Joesph McCarthy hearings
McMartin child molester prosecution
LBJ’s Viet Nam war lies (Tonkin Bay !!!)
Nixon’s Checkers speech, Nixon on Cambodia, Nixon on anything

Entire new level of lying. That's a good one. There's lying, and there's YUGE lying I guess. The only real difference is the lying from one side hurts your butt and the other does not. Lies that help your causes you ignore, lies that oppose your views you scream about.

It's the only chance Dems have. Have to get people as riled up as Trump and the GOP have done. Just need to find the right issues.
I don't mean "Dems" when I say that. I mean anyone and everyone. This has never been about Democrats versus Republicans.

Trump is getting at the truth, Getting the truth out there, and it makes liberals freak out
stupidity-test-machine-comics.jpg

I don't mean "Dems" when I say that. I mean anyone and everyone. This has never been about Democrats versus Republicans.

It is for the GOP, for the last 40 years or so. They figured it out and are winning big. And we are losing the country.

"America's first great post-factual tragedy, the O.J. Simpson trial."
Please - read some history -

Salem witch trials
Joesph McCarthy hearings
McMartin child molester prosecution
LBJ’s Viet Nam war lies (Tonkin Bay !!!)
Nixon’s Checkers speech, Nixon on Cambodia, Nixon on anything

You can't simply say "People have lied before" and end the argument. The breadth, scale, and shamelessness is unparalleled. More importantly, Trump's lies are typically verifiably and objectively false. This is the part that's new. Trump says something that is clearly false, and people either give him a pass or actually embrace the lie as if it were true. They claim "the media" cannot be believed, and therefore ignore established facts. Worse, they then turn to obvious propaganda media outlets and gobble-up every piece of fiction and half-truth fed to them.

At any other time in history, facts mattered. People lied, sometimes about big things, but ultimately the vast majority of people considered the truth to be relevant. This is increasingly not the case.

Reactions: cigaretteman
You can't simply say "People have lied before" and end the argument. The breadth, scale, and shamelessness is unparalleled. More importantly, Trump's lies are typically verifiably and objectively false. This is the part that's new. Trump says something that is clearly false, and people either give him a pass or actually embrace the lie as if it were true. They claim "the media" cannot be believed, and therefore ignore established facts. Worse, they then turn to obvious propaganda media outlets and gobble-up every piece of fiction and half-truth fed to them.

At any other time in history, facts mattered. People lied, sometimes about big things, but ultimately the vast majority of people considered the truth to be relevant. This is increasingly not the case.

It might help if you would read my post. I quoted the statement that the OJ Simpson trial was the first great post-factual tragedy. This statement is just ignorant. Now you're replying to my post with as if I was defending Trump. I never said a word about Trump.

It might help if you would read my post. I quoted the statement that the OJ Simpson trial was the first great post-factual tragedy. This statement is just ignorant. Now you're replying to my post with as if I was defending Trump. I never said a word about Trump.

Your post seemed aimed at discrediting that notion that we are entering a post-fact era. You simply listed some other times when lies won over truth, and you provided no further argument to explain that you weren't disagreeing with the main point of the OP.

If you agree that we are entering a new era when facts are becoming less relevant, then I guess we're okay here.

No, we've been told here for years lying is politics. However now the same people, and since you brought it up the same media, that ignored BHOs tall tales, exaggerations, and outright lies, are now wetting themselves over every possible falsehood they can jump on.

bull

This is the truth. Unfortunately.

There are those supporters of Trump that completely laugh off his lies and think it's funny. They then turn around and start blaming the media and liberals for every single thing. They think this is a "game" and it's just for entertainment. We have crossed a line and I'm not sure we ever get back.

Traitor Trump's got his idiot supporters carrying his water. The longer they swirl around his drain of stupid, the less likely they are to cause problems for the rest of us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT