ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else watching NBA basketball?

I’ve caught a few playoff games.

Still trying to figure out how this era is better than the 1990s. Someone want to explain it to me?

A lot of isolations and chucking up 3s. Almost nonexistent defense.
I was a massive Bulls fan in the 1990s and still love that era.

That said, the modern game with more freedom of movement better rewards pure basketball skill over strength and brute force and I can appreciate that.

Reactions: blhawk and littlez
I was a massive Bulls fan in the 1990s and still love that era.

That said, the modern game with more freedom of movement better rewards pure basketball skill over strength and brute force and I can appreciate that.
This. What I find funny on here is that of course being Iowans and not having a pro team we all love our Hawkeyes. However, in a game thread 75% of the people do nothing but complain about the refs and how physical the game is played. I know some of you have fond memories of the Bulls/Piston/Lakers/Celtics games from the 80's and 90's but eventually the Pistons and Knicks just f'ed everything up with their physicality and playing games in the 70's and 80's. Nobody wanted to watch the Knicks beat someone in the Eastern finals 80-72. So, now the NBA calls the games the way basketball was meant to be called. Total freedom of movement. And guess what? It's impossible to play defense with 5 players out there can shoot it. Bill Cartright? Will Purdue? Solid role players in their time. Who are they going to guard in today's game? Jokic is playing point Center at 6-11. There is nothing he can't do. Plays inside, outside, whatever. The lane is open because big slow Centers aren't clogging it up. You guys who think they aren't playing defense go try and stop Edwards or Booker or Tatum in a pick and roll. Virtually impossible.

lol
better movement and defense. lol

College womens basketball has better movement, the NBA is hard to watch and has less skill than the 90's . Less really good players as well. What today's NBA has over the 90's: better end of the bench.

Top end players (say, top 10 in the league) are about equal. The bulk of the players in the league are far more skilled than 30 years ago. And yes, ball movement is way better than it used to be.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I’ve caught a few playoff games.

Still trying to figure out how this era is better than the 1990s. Someone want to explain it to me?

A lot of isolations and chucking up 3s. Almost nonexistent defense.
My son is a Pels fan because of Zion. He got injured and now are eliminated. From an entertainment perspective, I have to say Anthony Edwards is about as exciting of a player I have seen in a very long time. I will probably start watching the playoffs this round, just to see what freaky shit he will do next. In terms of comparing eras, Jordan's bulls will always be #1 for me, although I think most teams today would destroy most teams from the 1990s, from a talent perspective.

This. What I find funny on here is that of course being Iowans and not having a pro team we all love our Hawkeyes. However, in a game thread 75% of the people do nothing but complain about the refs and how physical the game is played. I know some of you have fond memories of the Bulls/Piston/Lakers/Celtics games from the 80's and 90's but eventually the Pistons and Knicks just f'ed everything up with their physicality and playing games in the 70's and 80's. Nobody wanted to watch the Knicks beat someone in the Eastern finals 80-72. So, now the NBA calls the games the way basketball was meant to be called. Total freedom of movement. And guess what? It's impossible to play defense with 5 players out there can shoot it. Bill Cartright? Will Purdue? Solid role players in their time. Who are they going to guard in today's game? Jokic is playing point Center at 6-11. There is nothing he can't do. Plays inside, outside, whatever. The lane is open because big slow Centers aren't clogging it up. You guys who think they aren't playing defense go try and stop Edwards or Booker or Tatum in a pick and roll. Virtually impossible.
I think for the most part, Iowans don’t watch basketball. They’ll watch the Hawks, but no other teams. That’s why you get to read such terrible opinions in a game thread. It’s a football state, with football fans commenting on a basketball game.

This isn't the regular season. Yesterday's games were 108-106, 102-88, 97-89. I know it's fun to be stupid on a message board for some, but NBA has a really good product this year.

Even during the regular season, defensive efficiency is on par with historic levels. The difference is pace and 3s. The NBA now plays, possessions per game, way faster than mid-late 90s. And they are shooting more threes.

The rules not being enforced in the 90s had a huge effect on the pace they could play at, while not having a big effect on how good the actual defense was.

100%

I would say ‘80s and ‘90s were the heyday of NBA basketball.
I would say the quality of the college game and pro game are inversely correlated. To me, the 80s and 90s were the heyday of men's college basketball. The college game has gotten worse every year, and now it is just garbage compared to 20 to 30 years ago. Conversely, the pros now are so damned skilled, and certainly better top to bottom than 20 to 30 years ago.

You can thank Izzo and others like him for ruining the college game. At some point, tackling was considered good defense and now it’s just accepted in the college game. Ok back to the NBA discussion…..

The people that hate the NBA just wanna hate the NBA. When they say it's because of thugs no defense, the defense part is there so they aren't saying just thugs.

You can thank Izzo and others like him for ruining the college game. At some point, tackling was considered good defense and now it’s just accepted in the college game. Ok back to the NBA discussion…..
I think it is more that players aren't staying 2 years, let alone 3 or 4. They are one and done, or one and portal. There is no continuity in the college game for high caliber veteran players. On the flip side, those high caliber players go pro early. Some pan out, and some don't. But Anthony Edwards has an unbelievable career reel of NBA highlights and he's only 22.

Reactions: littlez
That's not true. The problem is how they ref the games. The NBA has consistent refs and they were told how the game was going to be called, period. The college game talked about it but it was never done consistently. You also still see a lot more big men in college playing in the low post and banging then you do in the NBA. Teams like Houston and Iowa State. Teams that aren't very skilled (for the most part) but are absolutely tenacious on defense and never let you breathe. Some games they get called for a lot of fouls and some games they don't. I actually admire they way they get after you on defense but in an NBA game they'd all be out of the game 10 minutes in.

Reactions: SSG T
I think it is more that players aren't staying 2 years, let alone 3 or 4. They are one and done, or one and portal. There is no continuity in the college game for high caliber veteran players. On the flip side, those high caliber players go pro early. Some pan out, and some don't. But Anthony Edwards has an unbelievable career reel of NBA highlights and he's only 22.

He’s the next Michael Jordan.

Nope. I used to watch up through the mid 2000's. Thuggery and anti-American politics killed it for me.
Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

That's not true. The problem is how they ref the games.

It is true and it’s why college officiating is the way it is, inconsistent. Nobody knows what the hell a foul is and what isn’t anymore. It changes every 5 mins during a game.

The college game tried the freedom of movement shit about 5 years ago. It worked in November/December that year. Then Izzo and others started crying and it went straight back to the crap we have now. Even what Iowa St and Houston do. That’s not good defense and they’d all be fouled out in 5 mins in the NBA

It is true and it’s why college officiating is the way it is, inconsistent. Nobody knows what the hell a foul is and what isn’t anymore. It changes every 5 mins during a game.

The college game tried the freedom of movement shit about 5 years ago. It worked in November/December that year. Then Izzo and others started crying and it went straight back to the crap we have now. Even what Iowa St and Houston do. That’s not good defense and they’d all be fouled out in 5 mins in the NBA
They do know what a foul is they just don’t consistently call it. You’re wrong. Old school coaches are going to push the limit of physical play until they’re told otherwise. It’s not Izzos fault. It’s the refs and their bosses fault.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Less skill than the 90s? Holy shit, lol.

Watch an old game on NBA TV and you'll see how ridiculous this take is. Nostalgia is a funny thing.
skill and athleticism are not the same thing. There is a current glut of young players that have gotten ahead based on being a better athlete.
I am just of the belief that the athletes are the same, the skill??? not so much. The game is reffed different, the carrying of the ball and travels that are allowed now have changed the game, not the athletes.

skill and athleticism are not the same thing. There is a current glut of young players that have gotten ahead based on being a better athlete.
I am just of the belief that the athletes are the same, the skill??? not so much. The game is reffed different, the carrying of the ball and travels that are allowed now have changed the game, not the athletes.
The NBA now draws regularly from international athletic and skilled freaks. Now instead of Uwe Blab, Rik Smits, and Rony Seikaly, the NBA has Giannis, Wembanyama, and Luka.

I'm aware that skill and athleticism are not one in the same. NBA players are far, far more skilled than they've ever been. That's not debatable.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I don’t watch much NBA but this is a great post…hell you even pilfered a few names I was gonna use. Jon Koncak, Dave Corzine, Rick Mahorn, Charles Oakley, Laimbeer, etc…There are a lot of players from the “glory days” that would have no shot in hell of playing in today’s game.

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Yes, the playoffs are outstanding.

The shot making in the NBA is just incredible to watch. Anyone saying the league sucks or they don't play defense is a clueless boomer.
NBA regular season can have less than optimal effort. I think that is inevitable when you are asking guys to play 82 games in a season. There is no way to sustain full intensity for that many games. But other than football with only 17 games, pretty much every other sport is the same during the regular season. Baseball and hockey for sure are the same. Both of those sports ratchet up the intensity significantly at the end when teams are vying for playoffs and seeding, and then up even another level during the playoffs.

NBA playoffs though are intense and the defense is unreal. The five best basketball players on this board couldn't probably get to double digits total against the Timberwolves the way that they played defense on the Suns. The fact that these games end up with 100+ points per team is a testament to how good the shot making has become in the NBA and how athletic these guys are.

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee and littlez
I don’t watch much NBA but this is a great post…hell you even pilfered a few names I was gonna use. Jon Koncak, Dave Corzine, Rick Mahorn, Charles Oakley, Laimbeer, etc…There are a lot of players from the “glory days” that would have no shot in hell of playing in today’s game.
And I loved all of those guys, except for Koncak. Laimbeer while a total cheap shot artist was a guy that could spread the floor a bit for a big guy. Not 3 pt range but up to 18 -20 feet. Guys like Oakley, Mahorn were intricate part of teams from the 80’s and 90’s. Enforcers, rebounders, could score 15 on a good night. But in today’s game? No idea where or what they would do. And I’m not saying today’s game is more fun to watch always, especially when teams are chucking and missing 3 after 3.

Reactions: jellyfish10
These are highlights. Lots of Jordanesque shots and finishes. And then there is this play that I have queued up - oh my:

and then there is this one...

And this block is as freaky athletic as freaky athletic gets

Shave his head and throw on a Bulls number 23 uniform and you could hardly tell the difference. Just a freak of nature. I particularly like the block where he hits his head on the rim. Good lord.

Minnesota vs. the nuggets in the next round should be a doozy.

Shave his head and throw on a Bulls number 23 uniform and you could hardly tell the difference. Just a freak of nature. I particularly like the block where he hits his head on the rim. Good lord.

Minnesota vs. the nuggets in the next round should be a doozy.
He's a Jordan/Nique combo. How could one not be entertained?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT