ADVERTISEMENT

Takeaways

Give Dr Tom Gary Barta as an AD, it’s a different result. And give him any President other than Hunter Rawlings. Let him keep Ray Thompson and bring in and recruit the Kansas kid who went elsewhere when he was let go. Tom had his shortcomings, but he also had roadblocks. Loved that guy.

I think 12 years is enough time to stop talking about Fran moving Iowa from the Lickliter era. ISU went from 2 wins to being ranked in one year.
Clown U is a half game from being in the basement of the Big 12. Yes, it's a tough conference, but so it the B1G.

And seriously, everyone that thought Iowa had a realistic shot at knocking off Purdue last night, raise your hands. I thought so. Yeah, it sucks to get your ass handed to you at home, but Purdue is genuinely one of the best teams in the country and played one of their best games of the year last night. We just need to concentrate on beating the teams that are below us or tied with us in the standings and we still have a lot of those games left. Practically no one thought this was going to be a banner year for the Hawks. We had too many personnel loses, but we still have a shot to post a respectable record and maybe sneak into the tournament.

And for the record, I think McCaffery needs to wake up, and if he won't listen to the fans (not many successful coaches do), listen to the opposition wondering why both Murrays aren't starting and logging major minutes. I believe Painter said as much last night.

Reactions: unclesammy
Fran is 107-106 (.502) in the B1G. Almost the same as Dr. Tom. (.511) Give Fran Ravelings recruits in year 1 and Dr. Tom Lickliters recruits in year 1 and Fran has a better record. They are the same.
I would bet money Fran would not have the same record with Ravelings recruits--he just had 2 NBA players and a guy that could shoot like 55% from 3 and could not get past the first round, with 2 future first round nba guys as well..

I will agree they are close but when I watched Davis teams I understood what they were trying to accomplish and how they were going about it, I do not get that feeling with Fran--
plus I did not include the years Davis had the Raveling recruits in the figures.

Exactly. Revisionist history, always looks better after the passage of time......
--I would agree with this if you were talking about yourself--I am sure the older you get the better you were at everything you ever did...

I would bet money Fran would not have the same record with Ravelings recruits--he just had 2 NBA players and a guy that could shoot like 55% from 3 and could not get past the first round, with 2 future first round nba guys as well..

I will agree they are close but when I watched Davis teams I understood what they were trying to accomplish and how they were going about it, I do not get that feeling with Fran--
plus I did not include the years Davis had the Raveling recruits in the figures.
Do you know how many NBA players Davis had on that roster?

Reactions: kceasthawk
go look at the rosters of the other big ten teams that year. It was crazy. I think 3 teams in the big ten were #1 that year.

It was nuts. Before the churn and burn of what CBB is now. The answer is 7. Iowa had 7 players who at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA on that roster. So those comparing last year to Davis’ first year…..just don’t.

Reactions: Willin
It was nuts. Before the churn and burn of what CBB is now. The answer is 7. Iowa had 7 players who at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA on that roster. So those comparing last year to Davis’ first year…..just don’t.
I think you're misinterpreting this. The talent concentration was in the big ten/acc/big east. It was not nearly as spread out as it is today.

I think you're misinterpreting this. The talent concentration was in the big ten/acc/big east. It was not nearly as spread out as it is today.
Still, Davis had WAY more talent around his stars then Luka and Weezy did when you look at the roster from top to bottom, and many of those players were seasoned, and not first year players last year who were still feeling their way in D1 basketball.....

Reactions: unclesammy
I will agree they are close but when I watched Davis teams I understood what they were trying to accomplish and how they were going about it
That makes one of us. Our crazy pressing caused turnovers but with the exception of GR's players we were often the less athletic teams and usually had about 18 TOs a game and the other teams made lots of layups and wide open 3s. I like the way Fran's team takes care of the ball...

Reactions: Willin
ADVERTISEMENT