ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Swift Day?

navyrules

HR MVP
Nov 10, 2003
So the women's game on Saturday vs. Nebraska is "Taylor Swift Day" ? What does that even mean?

I just don't get the love affair/infatuation that people have with her. The fact so many think it's deep lyricism and there's something more to her music is perplexing to me. It's simple music, for casual listening, designed to forget almost instantaneously, nothing more to it. Maybe parents trying to connect with their kids, I don't know. I just don't feel like that many people can actually believe she's that exceptional.

Bottom line is that she's just not any different from any of the other artists so I don't know why she gets so much clout as a result.

So, a Taylor Swift day...?

So it looks like nobody knows what the "Taylor Swift Day' actually means? Has the University released any information on it?

giphy.gif

I just don't get the love affair/infatuation that people have with her. The fact so many think it's deep lyricism and there's something more to her music is perplexing to me. It's simple music, for casual listening, designed to forget almost instantaneously, nothing more to it. Maybe parents trying to connect with their kids, I don't know. I just don't feel like that many people can actually believe she's that exceptional.

Bottom line is that she's just not any different from any of the other artists so I don't know why she gets so much clout as a result.

She sells out every concert she has with secondary ticket prices easily exceeding $500 a pop so while I don't find her that extraordinary, many do.

Ah the hate she gets from the biggest ❄️ on Earth always makes me smile.
It's like some people are just now realizing there is a phenomenon with pop stars and kids in the world. every generation, this is not new. but some people just don't understand. Just like our parents didn't understand the reaction to the 80s and 90s pop stars before, or their parents before them going way back to the Beatles and Elvis. It isn't a bad thing. It's a great part of growing up. Maybe, just maybe, Taylor means a lot to the same girls in Iowa that are now discovering women's basketball because of Caitlin. And who knows, maybe this can just be accepted as a fun idea? Also Caitlin has asked Taylor to come to a game before. Wouldn't that be something. But yeah, some hawkeye fans in message boards don't like her music, so probably should just not have theme days. except the ever important striping of the stands so that we have to worry about what we're wearing. keep those important ones /s

Last edited:
It's like some people are just now realizing there is a phenomenon with pop stars and kids in the world. every generation, this is not new. but some people just don't understand. Just like our parents didn't understand the reaction to the 80s and 90s pop stars before, or their parents before them going way back to the Beatles and Elvis. It isn't a bad thing. It's a great part of growing up. Maybe, just maybe, Taylor means a lot to the same girls in Iowa that are now discovering women's basketball because of Caitlin. And who knows, maybe this can just be accepted as a fun idea? Also Caitlin has asked Taylor to come to a game before. Wouldn't that be something. But yeah, some hawkeye fans in message boards don't like her music, so probably should just not have theme days. except the ever important striping of the stands so that we have to buy a new coat to match. keep those important ones /s
I don't like her music but I respect her the person and how talented she is. Getting people out to vote is also an awesome thing for this country that also enrages some for some reason. Hmm

Some of her stuff is catchy, some isn't. I really don't dive deep in to her music. All credit to her for the talent she has and her ability to market it. She pays her tour folks very well and truly seems like a pretty good person. Don't have a single problem with her or her love life.

That being said, I am beyond sick of every time Travis Kelce farts, we have to show her cheering in whatever suite she's sitting in, when if fact you just know she has zero idea what's going on.

I get your point, but holy crap. T Swizzle is worth 1.1 Billion.

Reactions: littlez
Some of her stuff is catchy, some isn't. I really don't dive deep in to her music. All credit to her for the talent she has and her ability to market it. She pays her tour folks very well and truly seems like a pretty good person. Don't have a single problem with her or her love life.

That being said, I am beyond sick of every time Travis Kelce farts, we have to show her cheering in whatever suite she's sitting in, when if fact you just know she has zero idea what's going on.
But didn't his "heart sign" to Taylor after his touchdown catch just melt your heart?🤮

Not on her the networks keep airing her.

I imagine there will be a lot of Taylor Swift songs played during time outs. I'm not sure why anyone would get upset over that but then people can't seem to just let her sit and enjoy a football game either without being personally insulted that she might want to watch her boyfriend play in the game so here we are.

You say some pretty nice things about her and then say" when in fact she has zero idea what's going on"
How did you come to that assumption? Did she make any statement that led you to that opinion?

We having a running game at my house on how many times they show her during a Chiefs game. It really is kind of annoying.....

Reactions: Sett1997
You say some pretty nice things about her and then say" when in fact she has zero idea what's going on"
How did you come to that assumption? Did she make any statement that led you to that opinion?

Just poking fun for the most part, but in the first 193 times they showed her (again I don't blame her, she's not the TV director) she had that look that just told you she didn't have a huge handle on the finer points of football. In other words; "the people wearing the same team stuff I'm wearing are cheering, so I'll cheer too".
They're the ones who show up with people you invited to the party and then talk the entire game :)

Just poking fun for the most part, but in the first 193 times they showed her (again I don't blame her, she's not the TV director) she had that look that just told you she didn't have a huge handle on the finer points of football. In other words; "the people wearing the same team stuff I'm wearing are cheering, so I'll cheer too".
They're the ones who show up with people you invited to the party and then talk the entire game :)
So the look on her face told you she doesn't know anything about football?

For all of the back and forth banter on here, I still don't have a frigging clue what "Taylor Swift Day" means. Will the women"s team be playing the Chiefs? Will all ticket prices be multiplied by 10. This is all very confusing.

Dua Lipa > Taylor Swift

Reactions: QChawks
Taylor Swift will be in town, with Mahomes in tow, and Clark, Swift and Mahomes will sign autographs together after the game.

As an old jazz guy, I don't care about Taylor Swift's music, and that's okay. She has been a better role model than many (most?) pop stars. (Aside: Chet Baker is my favorite trumpet player. He was in and out of prison and never tried even to give up Heroin. I am still waiting for someone to have a Chet Baker Day.)

My wife was stuck in Bowling Green, KY, so she went to one of Western Kentucky's WBB games along with about 1,000 other people. She said it was fun, but... uh, didn't quite compare to Iowa basketball. Also it was Taylor Swift day. They played some tunes and had a drawing for some Swift goodies.

Finally, music and sports are both just pop culture. I think it is fun when they cross streams with each other.
ghostbusters-cross-streams.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT