ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers protesting school openings are saying, "We're not essential."

JFC, seriously??

MeanSmoothItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif
Why not? If you can make it work financially, why not?

Unless you have stayed in your house for five months straight, you have contributed to the spread just as much as as the Olive Garden people. Didn't we already go through this in the @NoleATL thread? You have been coaching little league baseball right? In a time of a pandemic? How dare you.

I have not been coaching LL baseball.

I get a kick out of the people complaining about schools opening with distancing (or at least an attempt at it) and masks, hand sanitizer everywhere, etc., but then have their kids sitting in a dugout with a bunch of kids piled on top of each other with no safety measures. Not trying to come down on baseball because there hasn't been any major story of umpires, coaches, or other Covid spreading events. It further proves that schools should be able to operate IF teachers and admins follow their plans.

They should teach outdoors through October, hopefully we have have spread controlled by then. I am 100% for outdoor distant learning, just bc you have a building doesn't mean you need to use it.

@unIowa have you let your kid(s) play baseball this summer?

For sure...my boy hit a 390' rocket the other day, short hopped the 400' fence (U14) if he hits it anywhere else on the field the ball is gone (the corners were 325'). I have long advocated for outdoor activities that wouldn't be considered a high spread activity. I have been golfing lots (even in a few outings but didn't participate in the meals that were held inside during those outings...that would be stupid) and the kids have continued with their outdoor activities. I mean, the science suggest that outdoors is the safest place for us to be. We are not going to stop the spread to zero but we shouldn't be participating in activities that puts the spread on overdrive either. What I don't understand is why some of you seem to be rooting for faster spread of this virus (more deaths and long term and costly physical challenges for our HC system as a result), it is like you are actively cheering it on with your desires to open up highly crowded indoor activities...we already know those outcomes so why try to play that game unless you just want everyone to get deaths and illness damned.

Fall season starts in September and I am guessing that FB will be shut down by then meaning more practice time for baseball...yeah baby!

Also of note my wife works in a large school district and I have 3 kids so we 100% are expecting C19 to work its way into our home once schools start indoor learning.

Teachers can do their job remotely. Other “essential” workers cannot. The people who want to force teachers back into the schools are pushing hard because they want the childcare. Teachers aren’t babysitters. Schools should absolutely go remote until these numbers come down.

Teaching remotely is nothing like being in the room and shouldnt be considered a viable option.

This is horrible look for teachers imo. There are lots of professions that haven't missed a day of work since all of this has started in equally difficult positions. It is time to get back to work.

Teachers can do their job remotely. Other “essential” workers cannot. The people who want to force teachers back into the schools are pushing hard because they want the childcare. Teachers aren’t babysitters. Schools should absolutely go remote until these numbers come down.

Even with Zoom trying to educate people is much more difficult than it is when you're physically in the same room together.

Teachers are essential in the long run, they arn't in the short run.

Nearly everyone is essential in the long run, otherwise why would they even have a job?

In the short run kids can miss some days of school... Or as I would say, kids could simply do a lot of online schooling. Maybe it's not ideal but it's better than the alternatives.

Teaching remotely is nothing like being in the room and shouldnt be considered a viable option.

This is horrible look for teachers imo. There are lots of professions that haven't missed a day of work since all of this has started in equally difficult positions. It is time to get back to work.

I havn't missed a day of work but I don't have to be shoved in a building with hundreds to thousands of other people some of whom are just learning to cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze.

this.

At least for elementary school. Kids learn so much more than just basic skills. Listening, verbal communications, and team work. All of these skills are nearly impossible over a 30 minute zoom call. Most the time the kids are muted anyway.

Teachers are essential in the long run, they arn't in the short run.

Nearly everyone is essential in the long run, otherwise why would they even have a job?

In the short run kids can miss some days of school... Or as I would say, kids could simply do a lot of online schooling. Maybe it's not ideal but it's better than the alternatives.

The kids missed the entire fourth quarter last Spring. When does it become "long run"?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I can't speak for Iowa, but in FL the demographics are definitely not folks you generally see at Applebee's or OG.
I went to an Applebee's. Once. Years ago. I haven't been to an Olive Garden in over ten years.
I did get curbside takeout from Carrabas last night. Had the grilled salmon and broccoli.
Does that count?

Reactions: mcgrawfsu
So daycares and camps should not be open?

Of course those should be closed. A daycare would be the worst possible thing.

A camp maybe not quite as bad but still bad enough. We shouldn't be having kids sports either.

To take down this virus I'd be willing to sacrifice my stimulus payments if we shut everything down that's highly risky like that and if people couldn't find child care I'd rather pay them to stay at home.

Masks should be enforced with the threat of jail time for violators.

Of course this country lacks the will to take these measures and so many people are going to pay with their lives because their countrymen and women are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices.

Last edited:
They are essential, and I think they’re so essential that it’s essential that the rest of society be as responsible as possible to mitigate the risks of reopening schools, regardless of what “reopening schools” actually entails.
If not for the teachers then certainly for the kids, and for their families.
I can't understand why a teacher would say they're non-essential - that's crazy.

I am a teacher. We are essential workers for multiple reasons. I am still torn on opening school as there have been a few case studies out there that have gone horribly wrong already and have been shut down in hours.
I hope you know you are in a lose-lose situation. The schools will be condemned if they don't open and will be blamed if they open and the situation worsens. So thank you for your work.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Are you in FL? What do you think of the pay increase? Sure helps attract new teachers but didn't do a lot for veteran teachers.
I heard the other night on local news that up to 40% of FL teachers may go ahead and retire, having reached the years needed to do so, in order to avoid their exposure risks.

So, on one hand the state loses many experienced veterans of the profession, but the recent pay increases that bring us up to the fifth highest starting salary in the nation will attract new young teachers. A trade of experience vs. enthusiasm? Not sure how that will work, but I suppose we're going to find out.

This is horrible look for teachers imo. There are lots of professions that haven't missed a day of work since all of this has started in equally difficult positions. It is time for them to die.

FIFY

I left the union to save me the 700 bucks since Iowa Republicans stripped 95% of their power. People can't blame the unions for anything in Iowa. We can't strike and can't negotiate.
You should think about moving to either TX or FL. They've never had a real teachers union, they don't pay dues, they cannot strike, and there's no state income tax.

We are in this situation Because guys like you who just had to have your Applebee’s and Olive Garden. Now many schools across the nation are likely to be remote and CFB is likely to have a very very abbreviated season.
Nah, we're in this situation because there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of dirty/trashy and lazy f***ing people in this country. And then those trashy, lazy statistically-most likely overweight people breed and have children, and then at best they expose their children to their dirty, trashy, lazy lifestyles, and at worse, pass those traits on for their kids to do likewise as they grow.

And those are some of the nicest things I can say about sh***y parents/human beings in 2020...........:)

That's why the pandemic won't end. Because most people are dumb, filthy, panicky animals and you know it.

Nah, we're in this situation because there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of dirty/trashy and lazy f***ing people in this country. And then those trashy, lazy statistically-most likely overweight people breed and have children, and then at best they expose their children to their dirty, trashy, lazy lifestyles, and at worse, pass those traits on for their kids to do likewise as they grow.

And those are some of the nicest things I can say about sh***y parents/human beings in 2020...........:)

That's why the pandemic won't end. Because most people are dumb, filthy, panicky animals and you know it.

correct.gif

I heard the other night on local news that up to 40% of FL teachers may go ahead and retire, having reached the years needed to do so, in order to avoid their exposure risks.

So, on one hand the state loses many experienced veterans of the profession, but the recent pay increases that bring us up to the fifth highest starting salary in the nation will attract new young teachers. A trade of experience vs. enthusiasm? Not sure how that will work, but I suppose we're going to find out.
I know a handful of teachers mid-career who are saying they are going to take the 10 Covid days and all their sick days and then quit. I asked if they were retiring and they said no, just going to find another job. I then asked how they planned on finding similar paying jobs in the worst job market we’ve ever seen and having very few valuable skills outside education. Good luck to anyone who attempts it.

I know a handful of teachers mid-career who are saying they are going to take the 10 Covid days and all their sick days and then quit. I asked if they were retiring and they said no, just going to find another job. I then asked how they planned on finding similar paying jobs in the worst job market we’ve ever seen and having very few valuable skills outside education. Good luck to anyone who attempts it.

They could always to into bartending...

Oh, wait.

Wait a sec, I thought teaching was such a a noble profession?

So committed to knowledge and their students. THE CHILDREN! But, first sign of trouble and it's "Stay the hell away from me!"

Pretty sure the profession of teaching is not, and never was intended to be, interchangeable with frontline infrantyman.

No masks in dugouts. Again, I'm not saying either is safe or not safe, but I don't see how one can be "terrified" by schools opening WITH safety measures while being completely fine with their kid playing baseball.

Well, I wouldn't be perfectly ok with kids sitting in dugouts without masks. The kids don't know any better, but it is irresponsible of the leagues and the parents to allow that to happen. Getting lucky isn't justification for doing it. Even the big leaguers wear masks in the dugout.

Well, I wouldn't be perfectly ok with kids sitting in dugouts without masks. The kids don't know any better, but it is irresponsible of the leagues and the parents to allow that to happen. Getting lucky isn't justification for doing it. Even the big leaguers wear masks in the dugout.
I’m not saying it is ok either. But measuring that scenario against schools taking precautions would be a similar risk.

1120 hours of in-class instruction per year.

You are adding an extra day of work to each teacher, administrator, secretary, janitor, teacher's aid, and all other support staff. You don't measure how much to pay somebody based on how many hours each student is supposed to get. You are adding an extra day of work for all of those people.

By the way, suddenly trying to create a 6 day work week has about as much chance of passing muster as me winning the lottery. You try to do that without significant bumps in pay and you will quickly see mass strikes all over the country.

I’m not saying it is ok either. But measuring that scenario against schools taking precautions would be a similar risk.

It's not, though. The science says large groups inside are far more dangerous than large groups outside. Almost all major outbreaks are the result of a lot of people being enclosed inside. There have been some from outside large scale events (usually sports related), but the greater risk is indoors.

It's not, though. The science says large groups inside are far more dangerous than large groups outside. Almost all major outbreaks are the result of a lot of people being enclosed inside. There have been some from outside large scale events (usually sports related), but the greater risk is indoors.
Large groups of 14 kids in a classroom 6 feet apart and wearing masks is more dangerous than 16 kids in a dugout with no spacing and no masks?

Have you seen baseball tournaments this summer? I'm not going to argue whether it is right or wrong, but I will say that baseball tournaments with zero safety measures being followed can't be any worse than schools opening that are attempting to follow safety measures.

Keep in mind with these baseball tournaments, many teams also stay in hotels together and do other activities away from the fields.

Again, I can't speak for Iowa, but in FL the areas with the highest spread are opening remotely. The other areas have a variety of options ranging from full remote, full on campus, split schedules, etc.

Two things.

1- I 100% agree with you on baseball and softball. No parents wearing masks sitting in close proximity. Kids not following social distancing. Practices looked like a joke when I would be running or driving by with kids all over. Then, as you noted, kids and parents from all over are running around town without masks.

2- Our governor said we have to meet kids 50% of the time during the week. We lost autonomy to do anything further.

1) Teachers unions are far left democrat party assets

2) Many teachers are liberal Karens who want to be paid but not work-in fact there are several on this board who fit that description

1- yes they are and I don't belong to it. Mostly because they continue to let bad teachers stay in their jobs. Unless you are molesting kids, drinking/doing drugs on the job or not acknowledging your privilege, you can't get fired.

2- nope. I think most teachers feel like we need to work to be paid. I don't know who you are taking to.

Smaller class sizes, more pay and more teachers on the payroll to control overtime costs.

You'd think the Teachers Union would LOVE this idea, but nooooooo......

You don't think every school in America would want this? You forking out more money to make this happen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT